View Single Post
Old 10-13-2019, 08:03 AM   #30
Vashon_Trawler
Guru

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Results are "partially" in... Thanks again for all the advice. For those that followed this post, I had suspected my transmission cooler was clogged. The heat exchanger was clear and I checked for blockages at the the through hulls, hoses, and fittings--all good. I installed a new impeller and looked for collapsed hoses (all are new) and kinks. I also opened up the mixer elbow and, despite a little carbon, it was not blocked. I did chisel away some carbon via the inspection ports. Everything was fine.

I ran two gallons of barnacle buster through the intake and let it "soak" for 12 hours. Unfortunately, it was late when I started the engine up and was unable to take her out; however, I was somewhat pleased with what I saw leaving the exhaust. It was dark, but with a light I could see some chunks of carbon and a large white cloud... dissolved calcium and salt? I put the boat in gear while tied and could definitely "feel" and see a difference with the force and volume of the water leaving the exhaust. She emptied a 2-1/2 gallon bucket of water in a minute at idle (800 RPM). After 10+ minutes of running the engine both in idle and gear, the exhaust water and impeller cover were cool.

I will take her out next weekend and report. We'll see how she handles WOT!