Merc kicker and gas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsn48

Guru
Vessel Name
Capricorn
Vessel Make
Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
Just bought a Merc kicker 9.9 short shaft for my dinghy but it won't get used until early spring when my boat refit is done. I am inherently lazy and the idea of my Merc engine clogging up because of ethanol in the fuel if not used for quite a while really doesn't have me enthused. I know I can use an additive but can I use Chevron 94 with no ethanol and the engine will be okay and run fine?

It should be fine. I had non ethanol gas in a previous boat that sat for about 3 years and ran fine when we launched. I did add stabilizer each year. So one year should work fine.

The ethanol is only a hassle with stored fuel as it picks up wter.

Simple fuel evaporation fron the carb is the storage hassle.

Store & Start helps but dropping the fuel bowl and draining the fuel system works much better.

Your OB manual for long term storage should tell you to run the motor with the fuel line disconnected until it stalls. Pull out the choke and try starting it again to get that last bit of gas out. Add Stabil blue to the tank. One thing that helps is to remove the fuel hose from the tank, remove the engine end connector and drain out the hose. Otherwise you just pump the carb full of nasty old fuel that has been laying in that hose for months.

The ethanol is only a hassle with stored fuel as it picks up wter.

Simple fuel evaporation fron the carb is the storage hassle.

Store & Start helps but dropping the fuel bowl and draining the fuel system works much better.

This....ethanol is very misunderstood.

Knock on wood.
I have never had a problem using ethanol laced gas in a 2 stroke outboard.
I always use "Stabil" in the fuel.
What you have t watch out for is delamination of the fuel hose and pick up in the plastic tanks. They are only good for 5 to 6 years before they start to go bad.

Easy to disconnect tank and run to empty as suggested above. Do the same 2T or 4T for longer storage. I routinely ran carb dry even when leaving for just a week or so. So easy - why not? Also use additives as suggested. Old fuel from the tank runs great mixed into automobile gas tank.

Easy to disconnect tank and run to empty as suggested above. Do the same 2T or 4T for longer storage. I routinely ran carb dry even when leaving for just a week or so. So easy - why not? Also use additives as suggested. Old fuel from the tank runs great mixed into automobile gas tank.

:thumb:

About 15 years ago, I pulled out my gas lawn mower from the shed and tried starting it. Of course, as noted above I am lazy and hadn't drained it or anything. It wouldn't start. While in a Dollar Store, I saw for $1.50 this product meant to dissolve crud in the gas line and allow engines to start. I thought for the price the product had to be crap but I thought, what have I got to loose, bought it and put it in the tank.

First couple of pulls, nothing. Next couple of pulls, a few coughs then nothing. Next pull a few, then a lot of black smoke comes out, and the engine comes to life. Worked fine for the rest of the summer.

Two summers ago, bought a Ryobi gas pressure washer, used once in the summer and next summer it wouldn't start. Bought this stuff at Canadian Tire (kind of like Eagle for you American folks). The instructions say to drain your tank of old gas, put some of this stuff in the tank. Pull the crank multiple times, let sit for 12 - 24 hours, then try to start the engine. This stuff works.

Got even a guess on the name?

VP small engine fuels "Fix-It Fuel avec (remember this is the Canadian version, look up avec) Mechanic in a Bottle." "Treats up to 2 small engines."

Propaganda video:

We have an 8hp Mercury that came on the tender with the boat. We have been using ONLY non-ethanol premium with Seafoam added since we have had it. I run it out of gas by disconnecting the fuel hose prior to hoisting her aboard. It might sit for a month or it might sit for 3 months between uses. It always starts quickly, if not on the first pull, and runs great.

Is it anything like SeaFoam?

I've never used SeaFoam so I can't comment.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom