UV wire protection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeaBreeze

Vessel Name
SeaShell
Vessel Make
1974 Marine Trader 34 Sedan
I'm looking for a slip on wire cover to protect my solar panel wires from UV degradation. Has anyone used some with success?

Yes. I used the split black wire loom. After 4 years it is still good. Plus easy to change when/if the day comes.

Ken

Ken did you use the solid loom or the woven loom? Also do you recall what size? 1/2 or 3/4" ? Thanks

I was pleasantly surprised that standard two conductor 12 gauge boat cable with its white cover has held up well in this service. I was prepared to replace it after several years, but so far no sign of degradation.

If you want a single solution and not the split wire loom, SO cable with its black cover should hold up well. But it is not tinned wire like boat cable.

David

Ken did you use the solid loom or the woven loom? Also do you recall what size? 1/2 or 3/4" ? Thanks

It was just standard cheap split loom. I don't remember the exact size but it should be only slightly larger than what you have to put into it.

Ken

Attachments

• black-flexible-split-loom.jpeg
    black-flexible-split-loom.jpeg
    33.7 KB · Views: 22
It was just standard cheap split loom. I don't remember the exact size but it should be only slightly larger than what you have to put into it.
Ken

The black loom gets brittle but it takes a few years before it breaks instead of bending. But being split down the side, order another roll and replace it when it becomes brittle. Try not to bend it when it is cold (really cold) or it will break.

Back
Top Bottom