View Single Post
Old 10-06-2019, 03:30 PM   #4
DavidM
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
OK, here goes:

I turn 73 next week. About ten years ago I retired and took off to cruise single handedly while my wife continued to work full time. I know, it sounds unfair, but it worked out for us. The first week or so was kind of tough on my then 62 YO body, but I toughened up and all was fine.

Today, I don't think so. But everyone is different. There are some septuagenarians out there cruising full time and maybe a few octogenarians as well. I guess what got to me and caused me to sell our large trawler last year was working on the engine down in a cramped engine room. Maybe your boat will have more engine room or you hire out the work.

Black water- A 20 gallon holding tank might last a week for a couple with judicious use of flushing water. Most marinas with fuel have pump out stations. If you go to the Bahamas everyone dumps overboard. So make sure your boat has a macerator pump or add one.

Security- In the US I didn't bother to lock my boat or lock the dinghy. When I left the dinghy at the dock while my boat was on a mooring to fly home for a few days, I did lock things up. Just makes sense when there are no lights on board for several days. In the Bahamas when my wife and I cruised together, I would lift the dinghy up out of the water on its davits at night. But otherwise no special security arrangements.

Should one carry protection? I guess that is code for a gun. Absolutely not. You have a better chance of shooting a friend or loved one by mistake than shooting an intruder. Think about Amber Guyger's situation. Also to be legal you will have to register your firearms at any foreign port including the Bahamas.

You will hardly be able to hear the engine on a trawler with a separate pilothouse while cruising at or below hull speed. With a fly bridge you will be able to hear a bit of exhaust noise. Operating the latter from the helm in the main salon will be a bit noisier as the engine is right under your feet. But in no case will normal conversation be affected. Now if you have hundreds of hp and go 15 kts then all bets are off.

Good luck!

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote