Old 10-06-2019, 03:23 PM   #3
Bacchus
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Half Hitch
Hi and welcome aboard TF.
I'll offer my/our perspective realizing there may be others.
I hope 70s not too old as we are both early 70s. We discuss when we will be at the point of not enjoying or able to go cruising but hope we can keep going for 8-10 yrs. Trips may get shorter but that's OK.
Check my Bacchus website... recently posted info & blog about our 2019 cruise - 64 days and around 1,000 miles and our most adventuresome to date.
If you are in good shape it's more a matter of attitude and picking a boat that matches abilities and limitations. We figured that not having a flybridge could add 10 yrs to our cruising. We met a number of older couples cruising on tug style boats.

Holding tank... ours is 40 gal and we figure about a week for 2 of us with mix of dedicated use @ anchor and some marina/ lock walls w some access to shore RR.
20 gal seems small for 30-40 ft Trawler. Even our prior 28 ft cruiser had a 40 gal tank.
I have locked dingy & outboard in questionable areas when leaving them unattended. If questionable you can do the same at a dingy dock. I do make it a habit to tie bitter end of dock lines aboard to discourage the pranksters and to make casting off EZ... mate can stay aboard and pull lines back to boat for final cast off.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote