Freezer drain in EB47?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wkearney99

Guru
Vessel Name
Solstice
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Does anyone know where the drain from the freezer in an Eastbay comes out?

The DC power went out this past week in the freezer defrosted. This has left two bags of ice worth of water in the bottom of the freezer. I unscrewed the drain plug that's in the freezer but the water is not draining.

I happened to have a 12in zip tie on board and used that to feel down into the drain tube. It got just about to the end of the zip tie and seems to have met with some sort of obstruction.

There is zero accessibility to the bottom of the freezer from the galley. I'd have to do something like remove the entire refrigerator or the stove to get to it. There's also no line of sight from the access hatch in the galley floor above the port side water tank. The Galley is forward of the engine room bulkhead and I don't recall ever seeing and unexplained drain tube or valve down there.

Anyone else drained their countertop freezer and have suggestions?

I doubt that there is a valve in the drain. I'd use a coat hanger or a drain snake. Something is plugging your drain.

We have two stacked cold plate refrigerators and one under counter freezer. The top refrigerator drains into the bottom refrigerator, which I believe drains into one of the shower sumps below. I don't know where our freezer drain goes but I don't see water in the bilge when I drain/defrost it.

One of those USB snake cameras that display on your phone might be helpful in determining where the drain goes.

Last edited:
Diameter is too small for camera.

Solved it using a plunger. Push/pulled enough to clean whatever was blocking it.

Probably just some dirt that got wet and then solidified in the hose. Doesn’t take much. We bought some barbed plastic drain cleaners that might work. They have small barbs on it to drag the debris out when you pull it out of the drain.

Tried a barb strip and it got stuck at the same depth as the zip tie. Slip neighbor had a new plunger ( having only been used for a sink) and some vigorous push/push managed to clear it.

A few colleagues on another group recommended condensate tablets for the AC units. We bought a bottle, and placed some in the drain pans of the AC, refer, and freezer. I don’t yet know if there is any improvement as we were not having issues.

A few colleagues on another group recommended condensate tablets for the AC units. We bought a bottle, and placed some in the drain pans of the AC, refer, and freezer. I don’t yet know if there is any improvement as we were not having issues.

Good idea, as yet I've not examine the drain pan under/in the fridge. It seems reasonable to assume the drain would be shared by the freezer, as they side-by-side. If it has an accessible pan this would seem a more logical place to put condensate tablets.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom