Does My Chainwheel Need Replaced

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tgotch

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Days Like This
Vessel Make
Cruisers 4270
I was experiencing some slipping with my Freedom Windlass. Took it apart, and found the pressure arm is mission, which I will be replacing.

I inspected the chainwheel. Looks worn. Does this need replace, or is there life left in it?

oRyVr3Q

Attachments

• windlass.jpg
    windlass.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 81
No one yet?

I would say yes from the photos. Actual examination may show otherwise but from here, yes.

Does/did the chain slip or jump pockets while retrieving the chain.?
Jumping other than literally the very odd one means the chain is not a match to the wildcat pockets which will chew the pockets like seen.

That split wildcat must/should also have a key to keep the two halves aligned and pulling together. Was the key present? If not then that may have contributed. If one part of the pocket is misaligned with the other part that too may have contributed to jumping and wear. I could be wrong about a key but difficult to tell from the photos if one should be present. Do you have the manual and does it show a key. Maybe pressure from the securing nut pins them together.

I'm going to guess/venture that when you get the new wildcat you also need to pay particular attention to getting matching chain or the process will repeat. Without a match it will repeat. It may take a while to wear from a mismatch but it will do so and if the chain roars out, aside from the wear, it can be dangerous.

Does that chain fit that gypsy? It's hard to tell, but it looks like the links are too small for that gypsy.

How does the chain look sitting in the gypsy?

Thanks for the responses.

I ordered a new chain wheel from Defender. After examining the rest of the unit, I found some pieces missing/broken. There was no pressure arm, and the stripper appeared worn.

There was not key in the shaft, but a notch for one. There was a keyed/tabbed washer on the top of chain wheel upper.

I will measure the chain next time I am at the boat. Manual calls for 5/16" Acco G40

Last edited:
If there was no key, how was it spinning? Minus a key, I'd expect the motor to turn, but not the gypsy.

If there was no key, how was it spinning? Minus a key, I'd expect the motor to turn, but not the gypsy.

There was a keyed/tabbed washer on the top of chain wheel upper, under the clutch nut. I assume this kept it from spinning?

Last edited:
Pressure arm????
Not familiar with that.
I am familiar with a STRIPPER arm meant to ensure the chain is "stripped" out of the pockets when the chain is being pulled in.
Some times the stripper arm is needed as the chain is reluctant to release from the pockets when it should which will cause a jam so the chain won't fall into the locker.

I am not exactly sure what the pressure arm does, but it looks like it is a guide to help the chain stay in the chain wheel. It is a wear item.

Here is a picture (not mine). It's the white plastic piece:
https://images.app.goo.gl/Rb31uUVbJ7awCfNZ8

Pressure arm.
OK, got it. I have only had horizontal windlai. They do not need that piece. The chain weight will keep the chain in the pockets. I can see that the vertical windlass may need the help to keep the chain in the pockets untill it drops out into the locker.

However mine does need the stripper to force obstinate chains links out of the pockets so the whole thing does not jam.

Likely you should have a spare so when it wears out or gets to weak from wear it can be replaced quickly.

Back
Top Bottom