Lindmark trawlers question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moparharn

A fairly exhaustive search about Lindmark has come up pretty darn empty. They appear to be listed as Lindmark Yacht Sales- Keelung Taiwan. I have seen the Glouscester model, SR 39 (Sea Ranger?), and another larger model. So I guess they did not build too many boats or there would be more info out there. Just another average TT? Are they better or worse than the others? Anything particular to them? I am thinking of looking at one, but it might as well be the only one ever made for all I can find out about it. The hull ID starts with LMY which appears to no longer pertain to Lindmark if it ever did. This one has slightly more information available than the LePage 41 I was trying to find info on. The LePage had almost nothing as far as history. Actually, it had nothing at all worth mentioning. Definitely a cottage industry some of these trawlers are.

Don’t have any specific info on Lindmark trawlers but I did look at the listing on Yachtworld of the 39 in Michigan. A couple of things that would give me pause are the extensive use of teak on the exterior and teak decks. Another thing I personally don’t like is the built in furniture. Other than that it looked like a fairly nice boat. But having redone my teak sundeck this last winter, I would never buy another boat with teak decks especially if they are out in the weather.

My understanding, which I am not sure is accurate, is Lindmarks were a label of a marketer (sales) in Chicago somewhat like Marine Trader but on a much smaller scale. Most of the boats with the label were sold around the Great Lakes. I have no idea which yard in Taiwan built them but they appear to be just another generic TT.

Thank you Dave and Donsan. I am headed up north next week to look at a few boats and this is one of them. My concern with this one is lack of use. Low hours and sitting inside for last four seasons. Not good for the mechanical and I worry about leakapalooza once outside as Dave likes to call it. Will look for staining and the usual moisture spots, fuel tanks, and other big $ potential issues. Two others are steel hulls and I will be inspecting the hidden areas as closely as I can. The pictures of the Landmarks I have looked at all show these boats to be fairly nice, almost as if they were trying to add some bling to differentiate their boats from the run of the mill TT. With my arthritis issues the prospect of built in furniture is not very appealing. I customize all seating and sleeping surfaces quite a bit for comfort. Still worth a look. In fact, very few are not worth a look. You learn much with every boat you get on.

If it has been inside for 4 years you probably won’t see much of wet decks because they have probably dried out by now. Some of our priorities when we were looking were no fixed furniture and no tall ladders. We both have bad backs and sitting on built in furniture for hours, not just a few minutes while we were looking at the boat, so built in was definitely out. No tall ladders, my wife has had 5 shoulder surgeries in the last 4 years and we have an 85 pound Lab and we want him with us not stuck down below. We also wanted a walk around bed in the aft cabin, not up next to the wall.

Lindmark Trawlers

I purchased my 1983 46' Lindmark Sundeck trawler a little over a year ago in St. Pete. I have been working on it off and on for the last year in an effort to someday have a Winter cruising home. Most of my boats issues are due to neglect by prior owners and not because of any inherent issues with the design. My boat does not have built in furniture - except beds and a desk or two. Having just completed a bottom job I would say that the hull is well laid up and only issues again came from neglect. My boat has twin Perkins 6 cylinders with low hours and both run well now that the cooling system has been flushed. I have pictures from its build and original delivery - anybody that could interpret them and come up with the yacht yard are welcome. Based on similar hulls I'm guessing sisterhood with Albin - only a guess.

Sisterhood with an Albin is a good thing. I love mine. Most T.T.s are related somehow. What year is the one you are looking at? (Fuel tanks)

I guess I am probably going to divert this thread, but just a little.. What's wrong with built in furniture? I think just about all beds are built in, nothing much you can do there. The other common built in is the dinette. When you have guests it is a bit of a hassle but generally just the Admiral and I. We each have our end of the dinette and have a couple throw pillows to adjust our seating for comfort and can spend an evening easily there.

Up on the flybridge the seating is also fixed but we move about often and don't seem to have a problem with it. We do have a folding table and a couple folding chairs which are the problem. Tipping and sliding. Give me built in furniture anytime.

One thing I definitely agree with is NO LADDERS ! They should be outlawed. We passed on a really nice older Hattarass that had a ladder to the flybridge. We are ALWAYS carrying something either up or down.

A walk around main bed is also almost a requirement. At 39 feet you will probably have it.

Keep us posted.

pete

The Lindmark 39 I was going to look at in Northern Michigan sold, or is at least under contract. I guess I won't need to learn too much about the Lindmarks, but still an interesting thread.

Let me jump in about built in furniture and ladders to the flybridge here, since the original purpose of this thread is now mute.

I hate built in furniture. Usually it includes a dinette- either opposing seating or u-shaped with a table in the middle which I really don't have any use for. I use a fold up teak table for dinner and go up on the flybridge or aft cockpit to eat lunch or breakfast in my lap or from a side table. This usually leaves you with one built in sofa which is usually uncomfortable. I much prefer to customize the main salon with movable furniture that fits my lifestyle.

Yes, queen beds, v-berths, bunk beds, etc. are all built in and have to be. I can live with that, but not main salon furniture.

Ladders are a problem for some- my wife with a bad knee and me hauling our small dog upstairs. But it takes a good size trawler with a decent size aft cockpit to make a stairway, probably curved work out. My Mainship 34T from some years ago had sort of a stairway straight up- no curve and I could take the dog or a tray of drinks upstairs if I was careful.

David

Last edited:
When I refer to built in furniture I am speaking about couches and bench seating. Not to beds or even dinettes. At a dinette we are not going to be sitting for hours on end unless we are doing a jigsaw puzzle. But rather on a couch or bench seat, we much prefer recliners. Our backs don’t get along with most built in furniture. We have 2 recliners sitting on top of a thick area carpet with a non skid pad underneath the carpet. We have never had a problem with the recliners shifting around. And they are comfortable enough that we can sit and read for hours or watch a movie without back pain.

I would choose to not have built in furniture in the salon. The problem is I am having a tougher time of finding a boat than I thought I would. I might have to compromise a little. Grand Banks and several TT's have built in. Grand Banks is hardly a compromise, but I have some fairly serious arthritis and back issues. Comfort should not be a compromise. I suppose there is always the bed. Anyone have an electric articulating bed in your master stateroom? :) Bill

We have a memory foam mattress with a memory foam mattress topper. It is very comfortable. However the seating is a deal breaker for us. Sitting for hours on a bench seat doesn’t work for us at all. When we are cruising we will sit and read or watch TV during the evenings for hours. No way we can sit on a built in bench seat for that time. Most people don’t get a real feel for the seating when they are looking at a boat but only sit for a few minutes. They don’t realize how uncomfortable the seating will be for long times, particularly if they have back problems.

What he said. Built-ins are like sitting in a diner booth.
Let me jump in about built in furniture and ladders to the flybridge here, since the original purpose of this thread is now mute.

I hate built in furniture. Usually it includes a dinette- either opposing seating or u-shaped with a table in the middle which I really don't have any use for. I use a fold up teak table for dinner and go up on the flybridge or aft cockpit to eat lunch or breakfast in my lap or from a side table. This usually leaves you with one built in sofa which is usually uncomfortable. I much prefer to customize the main salon with movable furniture that fits my lifestyle.

Yes, queen beds, v-berths, bunk beds, etc. are all built in and have to be. I can live with that, but not main salon furniture.

Ladders are a problem for some- my wife with a bad knee and me hauling our small dog upstairs. But it takes a good size trawler with a decent size aft cockpit to make a stairway, probably curved work out. My Mainship 34T from some years ago had sort of a stairway straight up- no curve and I could take the dog or a tray of drinks upstairs if I was careful.

David

We bought the Lindmark 39 from Michigan. Left in The middle of November 3 days after sea trial. Made it all the way to key west and back up east coast waiting for canals to open up to get back to Catawba. She has been a great boat and we get a lot of compliments on her. As far as leaks only a couple that got fixed ASAP more due to dried out from sitting. Had her in 10ft waves crossing the Gulf of Mexico. She is a solid boat.

I know this is an older thread. I bought a 1984 Lindmark this spring. We moved it from gulf shores to Chickamauga Lake TN. I have all the original documentation and history. Lindmark out of Chicago/DesPlaines IL contracted builds in Taiwan shipyard (I will try to find location). I was informed by the seller they produced about 20 trunk style trawlers over a few years in the early 80’s. I have a 46ft Euro style build I was told was a custom order/build. The build year was 1983 and sold as a 1984 model year. I found a boating publication add page that showed their typical trunk trawler along with a “new rising star” 45 ft Euro. I’m guessing it was the drawing prototype of what mine actually became just one year later (the ad was from 1982). As I gather more info I will post it. It seems to favor the Grand Banks design more than the DeFever IMO.
view

view

…..

Attachments

• DAB390C9-28B1-4F96-BCF7-288FA8194AB0.jpg
    DAB390C9-28B1-4F96-BCF7-288FA8194AB0.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom