Bahamas after Dorian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lipets

Vessel Make
Benneteau Swift 42
So what are the areas to go that didn't get damaged after the hurricane?

I'm not interested in fishing just hanging out seeing sights

Is cell service generally available

Guides/books

Pretty much the Berry's and everything south, are fine. We always liked the Exumas better than the Abacos any way, but we like being away from everything (not everyone does).

The thing the Abacos always has/had going for it, is/was lots of tourist type stuff. :)

I understand that is terrible current state of affairs

I should have said if head there in perhaps March where to go.

The Bahamas want you to visit. They need the money. Just stay south of the Abacos. You will be welcome.

Tips welcomed -- Bahamas local knowledge

The Bahamas want you to visit. They need the money. Just stay south of the Abacos. You will be welcome.
We are hoping to take our boat over to the Bahamas in February or March. I would think your point above is a very good one..... in other words, I would think they need/want boaters coming over. I hope that is case.

It will be our first time there, so we welcome tips/thoughts on which islands to visit. Berry Islands, Exhumas, Eleuthera? We have a month or 2 to figure it out.

We are hoping to take our boat over to the Bahamas in February or March. I would think your point above is a very good one..... in other words, I would think they need/want boaters coming over. I hope that is case.

It will be our first time there, so we welcome tips/thoughts on which islands to visit. Berry Islands, Exhumas, Eleuthera? We have a month or 2 to figure it out.

We document our annual Bahamas trips here. Have a read.

AtAnchor.com | The Voyages Of Sonas And Her Crew.

Thanks, menzies. Your site provides some good reading for finding places to visit. That is the type of info I am seeking. Other tips and thoughts are still welcome, of course. Thanks.

Last edited:
In addition to places to visit while in The Bahamas, I am also listening to thoughts on the best time of year to go. I'm thinking February or March, but I wonder if April/May is pretty good, too, but at some point I supposed it's best to head north up the east coast as hurricane season ramps up.

The best time is a bit of a paradox!

We first started going there when the children got out of school - so July. Of course this is in the hurricane season, though we never met one. The benefit of going in the June-July period is that the prevailing winds start to go light and from the south. Not as many fronts (clocking) coming through. Since June and July are not normally heavy hurricane months they are good months to be there. Plus the regattas are held in Abaco then (may not be next year). And following the regatta beach parties is fun!

This means plenty of Gulf Stream crossing opportunities, but the downside is really hot weather!

February through April you will find fronts coming through and the winds can be heavy and clocking, meaning you have to plan on protective anchorages. Late April through May that starts to change and it starts to become very pleasant.

Nassau and Exumas are fine for visitors and very much need them. Eleuthera is ok. Even the south tip of the Abacos had little damage, just it also has very limited tourism. Berry's are fine although not sure how in their present shape one could really tell as they never really recovered well from previous hurricanes.

I did not say this. Take a case or 2 of canned food, canned milk, diapers and maybe other canned goods. They are "yours" (for customs) and will be used by you.

Has anyone been back to Marsh Harbour yet? Saw a report the other day on NBC that showed it was still a huge mess, people living in tents, etc. Looked terrible on the TV, but TV news tends to mostly show terrible things.

No first hand knowledge but I heard Silver Airways resumed service to Marsh Harbour on Dec. 19. That’s has to be a good sign.

Marsh is still a mess. There are some cruisers around GTC, which is making the best recovery thanks to a lot of outside help and volunteers. Some restaurants are open, David’s liquor store and Sundowners are open with limited hours. The Green Turtle Club docks have survived and the club hopes to open soon. Please stop by if you are headed farther south. Still the best cruising grounds. Many of the “regulars” are back in Manjack’s anchorage.

I've been to the Bahamas in every month of the year now, with the exception of January.

Unless the primary goal of your trip is to escape a Canadian style winter, the two absolute worst months of the year to be in the Bahamas on a boat are February and March. April is hit or miss, with more misses than hits many years. Early spring is just too damn windy, it really limits how much time you can spend on the water away from anchorages and makes open water crossings between island chains much more difficult with wider spaced weather windows. Plus, as a Floridian, the water is too cold in February and March for anything other than a quick dip unless you wear a wetsuit. If you are into freediving or even snorkeling for more than 10 minutes or so, forget it.

Northerly winds limit your anchorage choices as well. So do clocking winds.

May, June, July are prime months followed closely by October (watch for storms), November and early December. August is when lobster season opens, which is a plus.

I'd still go in March if it was my only option, but if I had a choice it would be last on my list.

Has anyone been back to Marsh Harbour yet? Saw a report the other day on NBC that showed it was still a huge mess, people living in tents, etc. Looked terrible on the TV, but TV news tends to mostly show terrible things.

I'm sure it still is. Having gone through Katrina, and seeing how long it took to actually get back to normal (over ten years), and taking into account the added logistical problems for the Bahamas, I suspect that they are looking at 25 years to get back to something approaching normal. Just getting rid of the debris after Katrina took years (and we could bring in trucks and equipment by highway).

Look at Panama City as another indicator. Over a year since Hurricane Michael, and real work hasn't even started on repairing the two city marinas, or Port St. Joe Marina. Mexico Beach is still a mess.

Last edited:
Look at Panama City as another indicator. Over a year since Hurricane Michael, and real work hasn't even started on repairing the two city marinas, or Port St. Joe Marina. Mexico Beach is still a mess.

Look at Fernandina. Still not repaired from Matthew. Like Panama City's City Marinas, subject to debate and funding issues. A privately owned marina is more in need of return to service as livelihood depends on it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom