Old 09-30-2019, 02:23 PM   #5
Vashon_Trawler
Guru

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
Could it be a thermostat sticking? I just reread your post . I don’t think it’s thermostat. A while back my strainer was not sealing off completely and I was getting air bubbles in stainer. I fixed that and also reworked my raw water pump, with new cam, impeller, o ring and new end plate .
The temperatures have improved some, but I think I still have a sticking thermostat.

Hi, Pack. I hope you get your challenge fixed as well. I replaced my thermostat about three years ago with the correct VP part. It was a pain to replace as one must pull the water pump. I went ahead and replaced the water pump while I was there. The raw water pump was replaced around the same time as it was beginning to leak.

Interestingly, the problem coincided with me removing the coolant fed cabin heater and plugging the ports at the engine. The heater must have been dropping the engine temp enough to mask another problem.

I should also add that my engine through-hull is 1/2" NPT with a 3/4" FF barb. To increase water flow, I used a Y splitter to tap into an adjacent through-hull for the A/C. It appeared to help but delayed the steam problem.

Again, it all seems to coincide with the heater removal; I never had this issue before.

I ordered two gallons of Barnacle Buster and will clean out the system this weekend.