Great Loop Dreaming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jo B

My husband and I are avid boaters, always learning and advancing our experience(s). It is our dream to one day do the Great Loop.
Are there Great Loop ready boats out there that are available for rent or for charter? We’d love to experience the Great Loop on a boat as opposed to reading all about it, watching videos, subscribing to magazines, and more. Perhaps the renting and/or chartering of a boat would be an option more suited for doing a section of the Loop?!? Would love to hear some knowledgeable input, suggestions, offers of options, experiences of other folks that may be in a like situation, as ours? Thank you.

You might check out the Great Lop website (AGLCA) if you haven't already...

Otherwise, lots o' boats can work, perhaps much more to be defined by your other requirements, not quite as much by the route. The only firm route requirement I'm aware of is some low clearance (air draft) bridges, for example I think 19' 1" (or something like that) near Chicago.

But maybe more important that you'll want to consider: how many crew, how many staterooms, how many heads, etc etc etc

-Chris

Welcome aboard. I doubt that you could rent or charter a boat to do the loop. First it would cost more than buying a boat outright. There are lots of boats that can do the loop that are for sale. Good luck.

Very common to buy a Loop boat (veteran of one or more loops); do the Loop; then sell it. Did the Loop in 2017. The Fall rendezvous is in October on the Tennessee river. Many prospective Loopers attend to gain information from the seminars and tour Loop boats, some are for sale. Several of the Loop boat brokers are there along with finance companies. Not uncommon to see people put a minimum downpayment down and do interest only financing for one year. After the trip, the boat is sold with the cost for a Loop boat being the difference between buying and selling plus interest on the principle for a year or so.

Ted

This guy has done the loop many times, but it's one person perspective on doing it and how to do it. Capt. John Cruising America's Great Loop,best map and route,

Here are the various boat parameters to consider before any loop trip.

Great Loop Boat Requirements - What you need to know before you go.

Captain John said:
YOUR GREAT LOOP BOAT:
It can be sail or power. It can run on gasoline or diesel. It can have one engine or two. Most importantly, it must be safe, suitable, seaworthy and
comfortable. On any route you chose, your Great Loop capable vessel must meet the following basic requirements:

1. Sailboats must have dependable auxiliary power and fuel storage.
2. All vessels sail or power must have a minimum safe fuel range of 208-miles.
3. All vessels must be able to clear a 19’ 6” fixed bridge.
4. All vessels should have a draft of 5-feet or less. We recommend near 4' and less is better!
5. You must be able to clear 17’ to cruise through downtown Chicago.
6. You must be able to clear 15’ 6” to cruise the full length of the Erie Canal.
7. Your vessel must have a beam of 23-feet or less - if cruising Canada's Trent Severn Waterway.
8. Your vessel cannot be longer than 90-feet - if cruising Canada’s Trent Severn or Heritage Canals.
9. Your vessel must have a draft of 5-feet or less if cruising the Trent Severn.
10. Your vessel must have a good working depth finder.
11. Your vessel must have a VHF radio.
12. Your vessel must have all USCG required safety equipment.
13. Your vessel must have a good anchoring system.
14. You will need a good GPS-chartplotter with complete coverage for the entire route.

Charter with or without a captain will get very expensive to do the loop. If you're boaters, it would be cheaper and easier to buy a good loop boat. You can hopscotch around until you have the time or retire to do the loop in its entirety. There are brokers that deal specifically with buying and selling seasoned loop boats.

Point #9 is not correct. Your draft can be over 5’ on the TSW, you must be under 6’ draft or you can’t go. If your draft is over 5’ you have to sign a damage waiver but you can go.

Point #9 is not correct. Your draft can be over 5’ on the TSW, you must be under 6’ draft or you can’t go. If your draft is over 5’ you have to sign a damage waiver but you can go.
I believe the waiver is why he states 5'.

He states your draft MUST be under 5’. That simply isn’t true. It is misleading since your draft MUST be under 6’, not 5’. Just because there is a waiver does not stop you from going through the TSW. A lot of boats go through that have a draft between 5 and 6’.

He states your draft MUST be under 5’. That simply isn’t true. It is misleading since your draft MUST be under 6’, not 5’. Just because there is a waiver does not stop you from going through the TSW. A lot of boats go through that have a draft between 5 and 6’.
I see your point.

Back
Top Bottom