Trans-Atlantic in a semi-disp hull?? Yes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting classifications. I withhold judgement on whether the E6 fits number 2 or 3. It's definitely not a traditional number 3. But I'd have to see it's true seaworthiness and verify it's range. It's got a 1320 gallon fuel capacity, but I'm not convinced it can go slow enough to get 2 nmpg. With 900 hp, I'd think that would have to be something under 1000 RPM, perhaps 600-800 RPM and then can it even maintain direction. It claims to have transatlantic range at 7 knots.

Very interesting classifications. For catamaran owners, I did a little study of some "passage making" boats...TLDR outcome was that, ignoring actual ability of hull and body, there was really only a couple of production options, but many more one-offs.

Very interesting classifications. For catamaran owners, I did a little study of some "passage making" boats...TLDR outcome was that, ignoring actual ability of hull and body, there was really only a couple of production options, but many more one-offs.

Yes, since your study a couple more entries from primarily the same builders. Fountaine-Pajot has a 67' that they tout as transatlantic. I think it would be a great loop boat if not for the 32' beam. Beautiful boat.

Sunreef has up to 210' so clearly some that are capable. They have a 150 and 210 Trimaran. I'm not sure on the range of their 80-115' boats.

Horizon has a 65 and a 74' which are possibilities. Still a lot of unknowns.

Lagoon has targeted long distance ocean cruising with their 67 and 78. That's on top of their 63. The 78 is definitely intended as a passagemaker and the 67 may be.

Definitely a trend toward larger power catamarans, much like the sail market.

Interesting classifications. I withhold judgement on whether the E6 fits number 2 or 3. It's definitely not a traditional number 3. But I'd have to see it's true seaworthiness and verify it's range. It's got a 1320 gallon fuel capacity, but I'm not convinced it can go slow enough to get 2 nmpg. With 900 hp, I'd think that would have to be something under 1000 RPM, perhaps 600-800 RPM and then can it even maintain direction. It claims to have transatlantic range at 7 knots.

I'm not willing to put it in Number 3 until I see it in rough seas and verify it's range. And as Richard can clearly tell us, rough seas and high winds can have a tremendous effect on the range of a boat going slow.

It’s not too hard to go look at the alleged fuel burn numbers on e6. The question is, are the long range numbers the main engine or the 75 hp wing motor. Or is it just very efficient? The e4 can allegedly go 1500 mile on a little less than 400 gallons (1500 liters) which would give even the most efficient cats a run for their money. With that being said I have never cruised one so I can’t say for certain how realistic those numbers are. But they are at the very least the advertised numbers which I in no way stand behind.

Thanks for the update on others! Have you seen any consumption data - preferably users rather than manufacturer?

OMG - 32' beam?!! Can it fit a GB as a "tender"?!

Who can afford the bigger boats! We were originally looking at a 34-37 just based on price (which is usually a pretty serious criteria, and was so for us). I can't imagine the cost of a 67 or more

It’s not too hard to go look at the alleged fuel burn numbers on e6. The question is, are the long range numbers the main engine or the 75 hp wing motor. Or is it just very efficient? The e4 can allegedly go 1500 mile on a little less than 400 gallons (1500 liters) which would give even the most efficient cats a run for their money. With that being said I have never cruised one so I can’t say for certain how realistic those numbers are. But they are at the very least the advertised numbers which I in no way stand behind.

Yes, I've seen a lot of advertised numbers that didn't work. Was it the Nordhavn recently that had an article touting 80 nmpg or something like that? Now I know other builders who consistently under promise.

Yes, I've seen a lot of advertised numbers that didn't work. Was it the Nordhavn recently that had an article touting 80 nmpg or something like that? Now I know other builders who consistently under promise.

80 nmpg!? Must be the the new Tesla yacht rated on e-nmpg

The Heliotrope 65 is one I particularly like. They have some larger ones as well.
Heliotrope 65 Power Cat - Vicsail - Your experts in yachting

The Isara range is another I also like.
https://www.isarayachts.com/isara-50

Then there is PowerPlay, which have a few on the water and some used for sale.
https://powerplaycatamarans.com/yacht-models/powerplay-catamarans-56/

Plenty of choice, you are not limited to the French volume builders or one-offs from great designers. For some of these you could enlarge tankage in a new build if you believed the range insufficient.

Last edited:
I've seen an Eling at the Annapolis boat show. It was nice enough. It being fitted standard with a Sea Keeper gyro was nice, but those do require a fair bit of AC power to operate. While I've no 'skin in the game' on even doing a trans-Atlantic crossing now or anytime soon, this doesn't strike me as one I'd be keen to use for the attempt.

It'll be interesting to see what's at the Annapolis show this year. It's coming up next week.

Like the Tesla police car that ran out of juice on a chase.

With 900 gallons of fuel and a cruising speed of 9.5 knots, the N41 should have a range of 972 miles. If you slow that down to an ocean-crossing speed of 6 knots, that range extends to more than 8,200 miles.

https://www.passagemaker.com/trawler-news/behold-the-nordhavn-41

Wow, very cool indeed. I wonder how many buyers will opt for a bigger single diesel rather than the standard twin 75hp's?

I've seen an Eling at the Annapolis boat show. It was nice enough. It being fitted standard with a Sea Keeper gyro was nice, but those do require a fair bit of AC power to operate. While I've no 'skin in the game' on even doing a trans-Atlantic crossing now or anytime soon, this doesn't strike me as one I'd be keen to use for the attempt.

It'll be interesting to see what's at the Annapolis show this year. It's coming up next week.

Keep in mind that the Sea Keeper is of limited help at higher speeds. Now, obviously crossing the Atlantic, they'd go slow.

The Heliotrope 65 is one I particularly like. They have some larger ones as well.

Plenty of choice, you are not limited to the French volume builders or one-offs from great designers. For some of these you could enlarge tankage in a new build if you believed the range insufficient.

I wasn't familiar with the Heliotrope. Interesting.

Isn't the Isara sail only?

I'd heard of Powerplay years ago. I had no idea they were still in business.

I wasn't familiar with the Heliotrope. Interesting.

Isn't the Isara sail only?

I'd heard of Powerplay years ago. I had no idea they were still in business.

Yes, sorry about the Isara. I'd always assumed the wires and stick could be readily ditched, but it may not be that easy to get a balanced boat afterwards.

I can see that or at least believe it with neither wind nor current on totally flat water.
The Europeans are really conscious about fuel, even rich ones.

I looked at many European boats, especially Dutch, ones during visits to the Netherlands in 2009 thru 2011. The style, like the Ellings, appealed to me.

But as I learned more, my issues with the engine room, as well as storage space, became predominant.

Americans work on their cars and boats far more than Europeans, even more so in the 40+ foot market, thus good engine room access is simply not important in Europe. It's more important to minimize that space, to maximize fuel economy and living space.

The only European I know who works on his own boat has a Kadey Krogen.

Another long range power cat that I'd forgotten about is Iliad.
https://www.multihullsolutions.com.au/boats/new/power-catamarans/iliad-70/

The 70 is at the T-head of my dock right now for the Riverfire event tonight
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09...and-everything-else-you-need-to-know/11554972

Nice looking boat. You Pacific Islanders seem to dominate the Power Catamaran market. I noticed they have one 50' available for September 2020, then next is 2021.

Now our big question is what is the largest Catamaran, with beam the limiting factor, we could use for the Great Loop.

Excellent Brian, thank you. I’ll try and add them in if I can find a few data points on consumption.

Excellent Brian, thank you. I’ll try and add them in if I can find a few data points on consumption.

Isara is sail, not power. But Powerplay has some figures I can add. I thought the Powerplay’s were a Schionning design, but his name wasn’t mentioned as the designer/architect. The look seems to be very similar though...

IN the1950-1960 era he AYRS in England had members building ans sailing on foils. The latest issue of PBB shows finally the big buck folks have been doing research on foilers.

With modern light weight construction ,foilers become more pratcical.

The next generation of diesels will be more efficient and weigh under 1 lb per HP.

Weather the folks that could afford these boats want to motor across the pond remains to be seen.

Hmm, there looks something wrong with the Powerplay 56 "reviewed" consumption (and thus range, trying to relate back to the original point).
Note I'm still only talking power cats, not monos...

For the Fountaine Pajot My37, MY44, the Cumberland 47, Aquilla 48, Sunreef 70, Horizon 52, Africat 420, all of the consumption figures match to a linear or reasonable polynomial, but the Powerplay 56 is a real outlier.

My suggestion is simply to be wary of their consumption figures, and thus their range (which is published as being 5000+nm at 7kn). It still does have 6500L of diesel, so could cross the Atlantic with some ease!

Back
Top Bottom