View Single Post
Old 09-27-2019, 03:40 PM   #24
rgano
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala View Post
The problem with Vasoline is suppose it doesn’t work and you decide to go back to normal bottom paint. How would you remove from every nook, cranny and pore in order to get adhesion for the bottom paint?
Been there, done that.

In 1990 I transported my wooden GB42 over the deserts from San Diego to Galveston and thence via 560 miles of the GIWW to Panama City, FL. In preparing for the trip which included ten days on the trailer going through arid lands, I first applied a coat of bottom paint and then smeared a coat of Vaseline over the entire underwater body of the boat to prevent the bottom drying out while on land. When I arrived in Panama City there was still a coating of Vaseline on the flat underwater transom but none elsewhere. By the time another haulout was due, there was no Vaseline anywhere.

An even stickier and non-petroleum product I have smeared on running gear underwater using a rag is lanolin which you can buy online. Great for a boat which may not immediately see a lot of use after hauling.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote