strange symbols

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

porman

Guru
Vessel Name
Beach Music II
Vessel Make
2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
I'm getting strange symbols on my Raymarine C97 with a Navionics chart. Any ideas what they are? (the purple things)

Attachments

• 20190915_084917.jpg
    20190915_084917.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 95
Yeah, it is a guy in a dinghy with a broken OB trying to row to shore.

Or is is a penguin who is a bit lost

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 485
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 467
Guy on a tractor pulling a plow. It means sea bed farming area.

Thanks guys. Especially psneeld. I recently updated both the Raymarine software and the Navionics chart and they started showing up. I was afraid I corrupted something. They do look like seahorses though.

Actually I thought they were AIS symbols of some TFers. :)

On my journey this summer I saw a gray squares with 2 "S" inside the box. I can't find it in the symbol book. Any ideas?

When using the radar overlay on the chart they are easy to confuse with a radar return. I'm going to turn them off if possible. Looks like I can.

You must be near near Canadian waters, they are maple leaves turning red on the fall

pete

I'm getting strange symbols on my Raymarine C97 with a Navionics chart. Any ideas what they are? (the purple things)

Down under there’s a couple of sayings that people retort when somebody has said something that is obviously correct. 1...... “does a chicken have lips” and 2......”does a duck with a hard on drag weed”. Well my guess would be that these are areas of high weed.

navionics actually has AIS built into it now. Has anyone tried this?
I updated our Navionics and wifi connected to our Vesper. AIS targets on Navionics is pretty slick.

I updated our Navionics and wifi connected to our Vesper. AIS targets on Navionics is pretty slick.

Same here. One thing I hate is Navionics (like all apps it seems) wants to connect to whatever network has an internet connection. In other words, you have to turn off the cellular data network to get it to recognize the data on the Vesper WiFi. Frustrating, especially if you need to use some other app that needs external data.

Same here. One thing I hate is Navionics (like all apps it seems) wants to connect to whatever network has an internet connection. In other words, you have to turn off the cellular data network to get it to recognize the data on the Vesper WiFi. Frustrating, especially if you need to use some other app that needs external data.
I learned this that hard way when setting the anchor watch via Vesper on my phone. Once set, and everything working...I turned the phone wifi connection from Vesper to our boat network. Ugh, I lost the anchor watch data.

Now I set anchor watch on our ipad, but that means we can't use the ipad for anything else while anchor watch is on.

I learned this that hard way when setting the anchor watch via Vesper on my phone.

Wow, hadn't thought of that. That's even worse!

I wonder if there's a way to set a "preferred" network in Android. Then, of course, we'd need to get the vendors like Vesper and Garmin to actually USE that capability.

Back
Top Bottom