View Single Post
Old 09-25-2019, 11:20 AM   #15
rpelton
Veteran Member

Ranger Tug 31 CB (Command Bridge)

We recently boat a 2017 Ranger Tug, R31CB.

We have already logged over 300 hours, including a 900 nautical mile trip from Baltimore to NY, circumnavigating long island.

In short, we really like this boat. We like trawler style and flybridge, but also like to travel. So we wanted a boat that we could pull down to the keys or up to New England by trailer, or just trawler around the Chesapeake bay. I also wanted something that could handle weather. So we got, what I consider, the biggest trawler-style boat we can tow? Another advantage of this is that we can pull it out to inspect/paint bottom, change zincs or just wash and wax. Where she lives in the winter is also much less complicated.

When we started examining the Ranger Tugs, we carefully analyzed each model in terms of what we wanted for our our next 5-8 years. We landed on the R31 CB. We can put enough people on for a cruise, but doesn't sleep a lot, too comfortably (with the exception of our state room, which we don't share)!

It has a big stern cockpit area in back. That is actually a favorite place for people to sleep, when the weather is right. There is a side birth (cave) that is big enough for two (not us, but others who want to crash on board), and the table drops down for two more to sleep.

Also, the newer R31 CBs, beginning with model year 2016, went to a hard top over the rear cockpit. This improved the seating on the command bridge, significantly. We can cruise with 6 people up top and then others scattered below. Also, the bench seats in the cockpit "kick out" opening up that space as well.

Good luck on your search. BTW, I'm a real PIA when it comes to be critical of cars, boats, riding lawn mowers, etc. These Ranger Tugs are very well build machines. Let me know if you have any questions. I'm happy to share my experience about the R31CB.

Best,
Bobby