Repacking Stuffing Box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll go inform every millwright and industrial mechanic I've ever worked with that they are doing it wrong.

But you have a point. If you are not comfortable with doing this, then don't.

Yes, that really wasnt what I was talking about. I work on lathes and you couldnt get anything done without it spinning....LOL

Been adjusting packing while underway for 35+ years without mishap. It's the easiest way to get the adjustment just right. Especially using the moldable dripless packing.

I currently have the gland type that has two threaded rod adjusters with two nuts each. Only require two combination wrenches to loosen and adjust.

A lot safer to adjust than:

The type with the very large nut and lock nut requiring two oversize open end wrenches to loosen and adjust.

And that adjustable wrench in the picture, sold as a packing nut adjustment wrench, is totally useless and dangerous around spinning shafts because they slip so easy. They were originally designed for plumbing.

My previous boat had the big nut gland and I adjusted it underway. I was younger and dumber then. I would not adjust that type underway now.

Attachments

• stuffing-box-closeup.jpg
    stuffing-box-closeup.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 36
  • stuffing-box-lead-560px-D.Logan-photo.jpg
    stuffing-box-lead-560px-D.Logan-photo.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Gland type is another good point for safety of adjustment. Mine are neither of the pictured types, they're just 1 big nut with ears. They get locked in place with a cotter pin through each of the ears and a corresponding hole in the flange on the stuffing box. The big nut can sometimes be turned by hand, sometimes it takes the big wrench.

Back
Top Bottom