Mattress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donna

Guru
Vessel Name
Southerly
Vessel Make
1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Where does everyone get their mattresses from? I would like to replace my queen mattress but a standard one won’t fit. Rounded corners on the foot.

I use these folks: Yacht Bedding

Not inexpensive, but terrific service and great quality!

Hi Donna,

There are some very expensive custom boat mattress builders. There are some very reasonable mattress makers for home and RVs. Some buy a memory foam mattress and cut it to fit. There have been a couple of threads on boat mattresses in the last few years on TF. While I plan to get a new one, haven't decided which way I'm going.

Ted

I too have a queen with rounded corners.

I just use a plain foam mattress from Mattress Firm and live with the edges hanging over. No one seems to notice or care.

Very comfy mattress.

I figured if I ever care, I woud cut them off or tape them in.

Last edited:
Advance Search "Mattress " title only. Looked to be a few threads on custom mattresses.

Ted

Thanks Ted. Since I don’t live onboard I’d prefer not to spend 2 grand on a mattress. I have a memory foam now with a beauty rest topper also memory foam. Hate it. Bad leg cramps in the middle of the night because it won’t allow me to move. Ugh had a “when Harry met sally” moment docked in St. Augustine next to a boat from my yacht club and I’m quite sure they heard me. I now have new windows! Lol!

I just use a plain foam mattress from Mattress Firm and live with the edges hanging over. No one seems to notice or care.

I figured if I ever care, I woud cut them off or tape them in.

Your right! I didn’t notice when I was on your boat!

I use a sleep number bed in my guest suite. I had a stainless steel bracket made that holds the bed in place and I just let the corners hang over the sides.

Tilt rider, That’s what I have at home. Too expensive for the boat.

I just bought a 12" memory foam mattress on Amazon for $300. It doesn't have the rounded corners, but honestly the small amount that hangs over is really not in the way, at least in our cabin and it looks great. Regular sheets fit it. All positives...

I know some folks have cut this same mattress with a hot knife to shape it, but it's cheap and extremely comfortable and works great as is.

I got mine from Amazon, memory foam queen size. My berth has rounded corners so I cut the mattress with an electric knife to fit the berth. Easy. I then put a memory foam topper on top. Most comfortable mattress we own. And I ordered it next day delivery and paid extra for that. UPS dropped the ball and it didn’t come so Amazon refunded the whole cost for the mattress and that made it especially comfortable...

I went to Matress Firm, tried to sell me a Sealy but their cheaper and thinner Matress Firm matress was much more comfy and fit better.

One consideration is whether it fits through a companionway. I could not fit a regular queen mattress onto my boat and into the aft cabin, but the memory foam comes compressed, so getting it in was easy. Getting it out; that will require the hot knife when the time comes.

The mattress that was on my boat when we bought the boat was like a rock. The marina wanted it so they helped get it out of the boat. It took 5 guys pushing and pulling to get it out the door. I was just going to cut it up with an electric knife but since they wanted it I said why not. The memory foam mattress was easy to get in since it was vacuum packed.

On our last boat we got a memory foam at Sam’s Club.....8 inches of foam with 4 inches of memory foam on top. We rounded the corners with an electric carving knife. I loved it. Tom hated it. We are weekenders on the boat so it worked out well. (Well, for me anyway!)

Where does everyone get their mattresses from? I would like to replace my queen mattress but a standard one won’t fit. Rounded corners on the foot.

Most of those storefront mattress stores have their own factories that should be able to make you a custom mattress at a more reasonable price than a specialty maker. If not, just drive to the next one down the road. They are very competitive, & known to negotiate.

Since we liveaboard, we splurged and got a Purple mattress. It was around $900. According to our chiropractor, who has one and loves it, she said many other chiros she knows have opted for the Purple mattress as well.

It came tightly rolled, so it wasn't too hard to fit down the aft stairs (though it does weight quite a bit!). We also have rounded corners at the foot of the bed and were going to hot knife it to fit, but as someone else mentioned the corners now just hang out/over the end like a regular bed. We don't even notice. We do notice that we are getting much better sleep, though.

I splurged and got a latex mattress from HandcraftMattress Co. They also made a latex topper for my guest cabin. Both are really comfortable!!

Donna did mention the best route...go try a bunch.

I tried expensive, DR suggested, big name, etc...etc....

All different, some not much different but 4X the price in comfort, some came with extra covering....etc...

Have fun looking Donna!

(I dislike it... as I feel dumb laying down in front of people staring at me drooling for a sale...:) )

Mission accomplished! Fox mattress holly hill Florida. Fits perfect and I finally have a real mattress!

Very comfy mattress.

I figured if I ever care, I would cut them off or tape them in.

Funny, we are looking for another queen mattress. Round corners too. Ours seems to collapse in the middle and the wife and I roll to the center.

I splurged and got a latex mattress from HandcraftMattress Co. They also made a latex topper for my guest cabin. Both are really comfortable!!

How much gold did you have to come up with??

Funny, we are looking for another queen mattress. Round corners too. Ours seems to collapse in the middle and the wife and I roll to the center.

How much gold did you have to come up with??

Mine was only 400.00! Win!!

Maybe its just my old bones but I cant stand memory foam. The German supermarket chain Lidl have a foam mattress from time to time that you simply cut with a knife to suit and it fits just fine..

Most modern mattresses are combinations of foams and some have simulated springs of foam.

I used to get my RV and camper mattress from https://foammart.com/. Call them. They can help you get the shape right if it's not a standard bed size. I'm starting to lean toward the ecofoam mattresses found on Amazon. I have the tool to cut them.

Back
Top Bottom