For Those Who Have Had Their Teak Decks Removed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks so much for the great advice. I’ve done this work before, including digging out old caulk and recaulking a 40 ft sailboat( during a Texas summer!), and ripping up and repairing the plywood core on bow of a 37 sailboat :). I’m totally over that :) .

Will keep an ear out for someone who has had this done, and would recommend the yard/contractor. Until then, I’ll do some patch repairs and keep her under canvas as much as possible.

Thanks again to all who took the time to give their advice and experience.

Has anyone done the “rough work”- remove teak, remove core, replace core, epoxy all the right things/places - but have a pro so the top skin and finish? I’m not that good with the fine details.....

It isn’t that hard to do the finish work. I used Kiwigrip as a nonskid paint. It is great. You can get a fairly smooth finish all the way up to 1/4” nonskid depending on what roller you use and how you roll it. With Kiwigrip I just get it faired one time with thickened epoxy and then clean the epoxy rough sand it and paint. It is also easy to repair it if you need to. I didn’t do a glass repair properly on my swim platform. I just used mat to repair it and it cracked open again. I sanded off the Kiwigrip did the repair with 1708 and then repainted with Kiwigrip. It took a few months but the color faded a bit and now you can’t tell where the repair was. Kiwigrip will cover minor cracks such as stress cracking without having to grind them out and glass the crack.

Back
Top Bottom