engine noise reduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Simon J

Vessel Name
Simon J
Vessel Make
Morton & Hersloff 36
Owning a flybridge, I tend to spend most of the summer months driving from above, as the weather turns cooler, I'd like to extend the New England season by driving at the lower helm station. The engine box is directly below and very noisy, has anyone had experience with soundproofing materials? Any Suggestions/recommendations ?

I have used the loaded vinyl insulation from Soundown on several boats. Works well.

McMaster-Carr sells good insulation for engine rooms without the marine price upgrade. They sell the adhesives and stuff to mount it as well.

https://www.mcmaster.com/thermal-insulation

https://www.mcmaster.com/insulation-hanger-studs

This is the page pertinent to the OP's question

https://www.mcmaster.com/sound-control-insulation

Keep in mind, the biggest transmitter of sound is usually through vibration of things like hatches and fittings, via the engine's mounting system for starters.

Sound insulation will help to a degree. Also very important is sealing gaps in hatches. So called "sound leaks". A lot of noise can come through a gap in hatches. Carpets, even a throw rug over a hatch can be a big help. I did all three (sound insul, sealed hatches, carpet) and got my noise level very tolerable at slow speed in my lower helm. I still have a prop noise problem at 20+ kts, but that is not coming up from the engine room. If I run 19kts it is tolerable.

Sound insulation will help to a degree. Also very important is sealing gaps in hatches. So called "sound leaks". A lot of noise can come through a gap in hatches. Carpets, even a throw rug over a hatch can be a big help. I did all three (sound insul, sealed hatches, carpet) and got my noise level very tolerable at slow speed in my lower helm. I still have a prop noise problem at 20+ kts, but that is not coming up from the engine room. If I run 19kts it is tolerable.

I agree with Ski. The PO of our boat had carpet cut to fit and the edges bound. This lays over almost the entire saloon which is over the ER. The boat is very quiet underway. Additionally, the PO ordered 3” sound insulation foam for the saloon floor instead of the 2” standard when the boat was built. That also reduces the sound.

Thank you everyone for your great advice. I really like entertaining all these possibilities. I already ordered some sound proofing material for the engine compartment. Hoping to install next weekend, I'll pay particular attention to fitting it tight at the folding compartment opening.
Next up, no room for a generator, any ideas for an inverter? We'd like to cruise for up to a week at a time, maybe a portable generator would be the way to go, thoughts?

Next up, no room for a generator, any ideas for an inverter? We'd like to cruise for up to a week at a time, maybe a portable generator would be the way to go, thoughts?
I'm a big fan of inverters for most cruising electrical power consumption. That said, there are no free lunches. Whatever power you consume, you have to produce and possibly store. First figure out what you will consume each day. Next figure out how you will make it (engine alternator, generator, solar panels, wind generator). Finally, figure out how much you will need to store to properly size the battery bank.

Ted

Fast and simple is noise canceling headphones.

EZ enough to hear a VHF if desired.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom