PROJECT: Streaming music wirelessly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattkab

Vessel Name
C:\[ESC]
Vessel Make
2002 Bayliner 4788
(Apologies in advance for PG-13 language)

So for months now,*my wife and I have been listening to Pandora at home, and I have as well on my PC at work. A few weeks ago, we found out that she can stream pandora via bluetooth through her car stereo, and she's been hooked. So we had the idea to replace the old radio (cassette player!!!)*in our boat with a new stereo that had this same bluetooth functionality.
On Friday we went to Best Buy, and told the dumbass in a blue shirt that we wanted a cheap bluetooth radio. He gave us one, but I looked and saw on the box that*it was described as*"Bluetooth Capable". Asked him what that meant, said you need the adapter ($79) to receive the bluetooth feed. No thanks. Next radio on the list: $109 JVC. Says "Bluetooth Enabled" on the box, and even has a PANDORA sticker on the faceplate.
I buy it, go to the boat, install it (cutting holes, soldering connections, the whole bit). Process took about 2 hours. Before finishing the installation, I plug it in to test it, and the radio works. I finish installing it, turn it on: phone connects to bluetooth first try! Open up the pandora app, and ... music only plays through the phone. Not the stereo.
Open up the laptop and start searching the web for solutions. On Amazon, find the line that the Pandora app only works through USB, not via Bluetooth. No Thanks. Open back up the cabinet, snip, snip, snip.... rebox.
Next day, back to Best Buy. Returning the JVC, I tell the next dumbass in a blue shirt that we don't care about any features of the radio EXCEPT for streaming music via bluetooth and specifically Pandora. Next up, a Kenwood model for $179. I ask what the difference between the logo on the one I bought vs the logo on the new one is, and he said the difference is "Bluetooth Capable" vs. "Bluetooth Enabled". I say nothing about noticing the difference yesterday myself, and decide to just give him $70 more dollars instead.
Back down to the boat, re-open the cabinet, solder all the wires, plug in the harness, hook up speakers (left speaker doesn't work all of a sudden, I'll deal with that later), put it in the bracket, turn it on... perfect so far. Connect via bluetooth: works on the first try. Open Pandora app: nada.
Ask the interwebs once again. Find the following on the Kenwood website:
"Note: This particular model does not support bluetooth streaming. To stream media, connect the supplied auxiliary cable".
No Thanks. Re-open cabinet, snip, snip, snip; forget reboxing; throw it as is into the bag.
Next day, back to Best Buy. 3rd dumbass in a blue shirt. This time I actually CALL him the third dumbass in a blue shirt I've talked to.* I say... slowly... enunciating each word..... I. WANT. TO. WIRELESSLY. STREAM. PANDORA. FIND. ME. A. STEREO. THAT. DOES. THIS.
He disappears for 15 minutes.
He comes back with a Sony model.
BIG STICKER ON THE BOX: Wirelessly stream your digital media via Bluetooth.
BIG STICKER ON THE FACEPLATE: Built in PANDORA App.
All for $120. Dumbass in the blue shirt the day before cost me $50 and didn't give me what I wanted, not to mention my time, effort and $4/gallon gas. I Buy it and EVEN GET BACK $50!*
Back down to the boat. I re-run speaker cable (that I remembered to bring from home) to both the left and right speaker. Don't solder, just twist tie the wires together. Turn it on and the radio works. Connect the phone via bluetooth, and that works. I open the Pandor App and play. It CONNECTS! But no sound.
After a few minutes searching*the manual, I find this note:
"Hit pause when first starting the media stream (#6 station preset button)". I push the button and MUSIC STREAMS THROUGH BOTH SPEAKERS! YAY!
Then: solder, hook up, faceplate, etc, etc.
Turn it on, and....
* Nothing
* Black
* Dead
* #($&(^)(**!#% QUIET!

I investigate with my meter, and discover that a fuse simply blew. Old radio had a 7 amp fuse. Current radio needs a 10amp. Run to the marina store to get a replacenent fuse... ALL IS GOOD!

FINALLY!
3 days. Probably 12 hours of driving, buying, and install time.* $109... er $179... er $120 later.
But on Sunday afternoon we had it set up and streamed music all music all night, with no problems. Stereo remote even skips, pauses, and adjusts volume on the Pandora app. It's a really nice feature.
If anyone is looking for the same feature, and to save the aggravation of talking to the dumbasses in the blue shirts, make sure your new radio supports A2DP. That is the specific bluetooth profile that allows streaming media wirelessly.

-- Edited by mattkab on Wednesday 21st of March 2012 04:48:10 PM

Attachments

• radio_streaming.jpg
    radio_streaming.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 97
Geez what a mess. Puts a whole new slant on the quality of Best Buy associates.

I bought a Sony car radio at Best Buy a couple of years ago with a aux input. Took it out of the car before I sold it and reinstalled it in the boat a year ago. To get Pandora radio I use my android phone and verizon data plan and log onto Pandora radio, plug in the aux feed from the radio into my cell phone, select aux input on the radio and without further ado -- music.

Pandora radio - best deal going. It's free!!

I went to the Wall of Mart and grabbed the cheapest Bluetooth radio (in and out ten minutes) they had (DUAL $90). Installed it, turned on Pandora on my phone, hit the Bluetooth button and bang! Have been enjoying Paul Desmond and the like for the last year. Why the blue shirt dweebs?

Best Buy is not my favorite place to buy electronics. It's one above Radio Shack which is at the very bottom.

As for the "sales consultants", if anyone knew what he or she was talking about, they would have a far better job than pushing stereos and cell phones at either chain.

You're better off doing your own research on the Internet, then finding the best deal on the Internet.

Thanks for the story Matt!* Sounds pretty much like our experience with most boat projects.**Multiple trips to the store, lots of re-work, lots of head scratching and lots of things that were working that suddenly stop working.* Always an adventure.*
no.gif
* I'm so glad it worked out in the end!

Thanks, matt.* I've been looking for something similar and I think your post will help me avoid similar pitfalls along the way.*

I have a*3-4 year old*stereo system that I didn't want to replace.* I have been looking for some way to get a BT link from my phone to the 'old' stereo.* I found this on the web with good reviews.*

* New Potato TuneLink

665-tunelink-InCar-8x10-1a.jpg

I ordered it last night.* Cost is about $80.

It is a small 12v plug that has a BT receiver, a FM transmitter, a wired*aux output and a spare USB plug for charging accessories.* If you get the iPhone version, it's compatible with Apple products and Android products.* (Their customer service reps confirmed that for me.)*

In theory, it should receive the BT signal from my android phone or Touch iPod, then send that signal via FM transmission to a blank channel or aux jack cable to the stereo.* It's A2DP capable, so I can stream my Pandora or AudioGalaxy songs from my 'droid while underway or at anchor with no need for wifi.*

I'll report back on its performance after I have had a chance to play with it a little.

-- Edited by FlyWright on Tuesday 27th of March 2012 05:02:51 PM

FlyWright wrote:
I have a*3-4 year old*stereo system that I didn't want to replace.* I have been looking for some way to get a BT link from my phone to the 'old' stereo.* I found this on the web with good reviews.*

I'll report back on its performance after I have had a chance to play with it a little.
This is interesting too.

Please do report on it. I'm interested in what you have to say -- could use this in my truck.

Wow!!

*Ever see that commercial where the guy's are driving around looking for a place with no service on the cell phone.

When I get 5 miles from the harbor. The cell is no go as is all other but VHF.

Mst be nice.* i gotta haul my own.

SD

We have a "pre-digital" age (6 year old) car radio radio on our boat. The easiest answer to streaming music is the same thing we do in our car. Connect a small transmitter device ($20 at Target/Walmart) to the base of your I-Pod and tune it to a radio station receiving "white noise". We get a great reception in the car, on the boat and in our home using this simple cheap solution. Range on the I-Pod transmitter is "line of sight" and about 20ft.

I got to the boat this week and tried out my new TuneLink interface. I downloaded the android app for my phone and the iPod app for a touch iPod. Each loaded easily and operates as expected. The app is only needed to tune the FM transmitter to a blank channel. If you're using the 3.5mm output jack, no app control is needed.

The unit came with an iPod male/USB male cord and a 3.5mm male/3.5mm male cord. I haven't hooked up to the aux jack yet since I don't yet have one on the boat, but the FM signal seems fairly strong. I found that the FM signal appears even stronger with the 3.5mm cord plugged into the aux output jack on the unit and left to hang like an antenna.

I was very impressed with the performance and ease of use of this unit. I plugged it in at a 12v outlet at the lower helm and was able to control the music from my cellphone in all areas of the boat without a problem. The FM signal worked very well, but I'm installing an aux jack at the lower helm to provide additional connection options.

For $80, this appears to be a good solution to wireless linking streaming audio to a non-bluetooth receiver.

Al, I don't what the heck you're talking about. Don't try to explain it to me here. Hopefully, I'll be aboard your boat for a visit and you can show me.

* It's A2DP capable, so I can stream my Pandora or AudioGalaxy songs from my 'droid while underway or at anchor with no need for wifi.*

-- Edited by FlyWright on Tuesday 27th of March 2012 05:02:51 PM

what means this A2DP?
i use an app called tuninfm but it only works if you are in wifi or have cell signal.
in my car i run it over BT but in the boat and at home i just use an aux input.

From Mattkab on the original post:

"If anyone is looking for the same feature, and to save the aggravation of talking to the dumbasses in the blue shirts, make sure your new radio supports A2DP. That is the specific bluetooth profile that allows streaming media wirelessly."

ok but how do you get the music feed to your BT device?
i guess either an ipod with music preloaded or as you mention pandora, you stream it whilst within cellular range?

ok but how do you get the music feed to your BT device?
i guess either an ipod with music preloaded or as you mention pandora, you stream it whilst within cellular range?

Yes, either streaming (Pandora, or similar service) or if you have MP3s on your phone then you can stream those as well.

I got to the boat this week and tried out my new TuneLink interface.

For $80, this appears to be a good solution to wireless linking streaming audio to a non-bluetooth receiver.

Very cool, FlyWright!

I think I'm going to get one of these for my truck.

Back
Top Bottom