Comments Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsbraga

Vessel Name
Adrift at Last
Vessel Make
Selene 53
I’m having an issue with a minus reading on my 24 volt panel. Could this be a related issue to corrosion on my grounding buss? IMG_0818.jpgIMG_0070.jpg

Help.

I'd recommend you don't wait to engage a very good marine electrician who is well experienced in 12, 24 and 110/240 volt bonding and ship's ground. Do you have a measurable reverse polarity issue? Anything changed or worked on recently?

Negative reading usually means the positive and negative wires have been reversed.

Negative reading usually means the positive and negative wires have been reversed.

The readings swing wildly and can happen whether connected to shore power, on the hard or with the generator running.

I'd recommend you don't wait to engage a very good marine electrician who is well experienced in 12, 24 and 110/240 volt bonding and ship's ground. Do you have a measurable reverse polarity issue? Anything changed or worked on recently?

It was happening before going on the hard for a paint job, while connected to an electrical source while being painted, and then tested for corrosion 1 day after being put back in the water. It does not change when prolonged running on the water with genset going.

. IMG_0820.jpgIMG_0822.jpgIMG_0821.jpg

That is very odd. I would have to go through the system part by part connection by connection until I found what it was. Usually, when it's a voltage reading in the negative range on the display only, the connections are reversed. In your case, I'm stumped.

Back
Top Bottom