49 yr old female Realtor took the leap and EVERYTHING is a learning curve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knotyourwife

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Knot Your Wife
Vessel Make
Marine Trader
Long story short I have been fascinated with this idea for years, and have spent many an afternoon strolling docks in my area and meeting folks who live aboard-hearing the stories, admiring the culture and attitudes on life they all had. I would read, watch videos, plan and dream some more. I have always been a low key prepper and love perfecting my bug out plans and gear. Living on a boat was the holy grail of all my plans combined.

Fast forward to present day with adult children gone and working on their own dreams , an opportunity to downsize, sell my home and pay off my sons student debt-timing was perfect and the nudge I needed was more like a tap on the shoulder and a whisper "it's time".

After searching for the perfect vessel I found a 36 ft 1979 Marine Trader and it was love and first sight even though she needs some work. I was mostly dealing with brokers, and the broker representing the Marine Trader seemed to think I cared more about the aesthetics of the boat than the nuts and bolts of it all. I found this to be the case with many of the brokers. Honestly "I don't know what I don't know" so I was hoping for education, direction, and so on as I would do for a first time buyer on a home being a Realtor. Well that was not the case, I ended up locating the owner; a retired female firefighter, and having a sit down with her ( we sealed the deal ) I am currently typing from my floating home it is amazing and terrifying in the same breathe. *Yes I had a survey .

I have already experienced:

Having to tighten a screw in the stuffing box
(thank you google-not what I thought a stuffing box would look like) that was leaking causing my bilge to run several times a day-I thought I was going to sink literally. Imagine a frantic Realtor giving her dockmates her card in the event the "ship" literally goes down. Now once I understood everything I realized the bilge was doing its job and it would take ALOT of water and no bilge action to sink my baby. And my dockmates are wonderful and informed me no ones ship will go down on their watch. I imagine they must giggle at this newbie.

Chasing a drip from the upper deck and eventually tarping it off until I can redo the fiberglass. Drip gone but its source location remains a mystery.

After breaking down and getting over my fear to use the head, tank odor in the aft cabin. My first thought was panic-is my tank leaking? Anything I run into, my first thought is panic.

Every noise, every smell, every new experience I have to address is again terrifying and exhilarating at the same time. There is so much to learn before I can even begin to think about taking her out. As I sit here typing, I am grinning ear to ear and scared shitless. ( but would prefer not to smell it )

So AHOY! Stay tuned.
rtaek085xym31.jpg

Welcome. Sounds like you are doing great. Best thing you can do is look, listen and feel. I do this regularly. Get into all the spaces. Be tenacious with the maintenance and you will have a better experience.

BTW, that anchor needs to be secured before heading out into seas, otherwise it will bounce up and down causing damage.

My wife read this post then commented "this lady sounds similar to us regarding..... "Every noise, every smell, every new experience I have to address is again terrifying and exhilarating at the same time. There is so much to learn before I can even begin to think about taking her out. As I sit here typing, I am grinning ear to ear and scared shitless. ( but would prefer not to smell it ) "
You will learn from new on board experiences. Many boat systems are not that complicated, though intimidating at first glance. Enjoy your new home, don't sweat the small stuff,google, youtube and this forum are friends, Enjoy!

Another Welcome!

Don't see teak decks so you are off to a got start. Hope the fuel tanks have likewise been replaced.

Might want to contact a member named Donna. She also has a Marine Trader.

Welcome! Nice boat! Sounds like you've got the right attitude. Ask lots of questions, here and of your dock mates. Always have a beer, mixed drink or soft drink available in return.

Boaters are funny about terminology. Work on picking up the lingo. The bilge is the lowest portion of your hull. The bilge pump is the device which removes water from it. Likewise, use terms like galley, head, berth and saloon instead of kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and living room. No, it doesn't make sense. It's a boater thing.

One last thing; a drip from your stuffing box, while in gear, is a good thing. That keeps the whole thing cool. Don't torque down on it too hard! Getting just the right tension is more art than science.

Welcome aboard. Good to see a female taking charge. Glad to have you here. Ask any questions that you have.

CONGRATS!
You'll be surprised at how fast you climb up that learning curve!

"I am grinning ear to ear and scared shitless" - priceless.

Welcome aboard

Welcome to chaos central, and congrats on the new to you boat. Looks great. Ask questions, always.
I try to learn what I can from books, as well as from the people who have helped me.
Some books I have found useful are Chapmans' Piloting, Seamanship, and small boat handling Nigel Calders' Marine Diesel Engines, his Boatowners' Mechanical and Electrical Manual, Peter Comptons' Troubleshooting Marine Diesels, and Peggy Halls' Getting Rid of Boat Odors, 2d Ed.
There are often YouTube videos on boating, boat handling, and boat maintenence subjects.
American Diesel is a great resource for parts and advice on Ford Lehman motors if you have one of them.
Have fun.
JohnS
Cheoy Lee 40 LRC, La Vita Dolce

Wait till your under way and smell a fire only to find out after a panic run a round that the wife left biscuits in the oven too long! Welcome aboard

Welcome & Congratulations
Exhilaration is Great
Terrifying is OK
BUT--Panic is NEVER an option.

Lurking here on the forum. Not much to add, but to reiterate "ask questions" . . . A LOT! There's a wealth of information here on the forum and people happy to share their knowledge with you. Consider taking a Power Squadron or Coast Guard Auxiliary class for more info on boat handling/rules of the road. Read Chapmans end to end. It won't all make sense right now, but will come back when you take boat handling classes. Good luck in your new life! My wife and I are jealous! We're in the process of getting a boat, in the serious looking phase. Fair winds and following seas!

M.T.'s are wonderful boats ! Very forgiving of "Newbie" mistakes and omissions.

First things first.. Fuel !! From your letter it sounds like the boat may have spent some time at the dock. Contact the P.O. and find out all you can about the fuel. How old is it ? How old are the filters ? Most importantly, what is the status of the tanks ? Where you live, bacteria may be an issue, if the fuel is old consider getting it polished or filtered or replaced.

Run it, run it, run it. It's the best thing for it.

Welcome aboard!!

pete

That looks like Russ and Janice's boat. If so, walk a little down the dock and meet Mike across from you. He knows boats well, and can help you out.

Tell them Mike and Claire on the Grand Banks Europa say hi!

Congratulations and welcome! You're off to an awesome start and not all that different than many of us were with our first boat. Take each issue you encounter one thing at a time and work through it.

Let us know if you have questions. We'll make up something that sounds so plausible you'll think it's the truth. ;)

Keep posting as you settle in, resolve issues, and begin touring with her.

John

Wifey B: I would highly recommend making contact with TF'er "Donna" as she's been through it all a few years sooner than you on a similar boat and has done wonders with her boat. She does maintenance and rehab things I wouldn't consider doing myself and I think could really give you some great pointers along the way. I'm not handy, more a pay to get things done type. :D

Long story short I have been fascinated with this idea for years, and have spent many an afternoon strolling docks in my area and meeting folks who live aboard-hearing the stories, admiring the culture and attitudes on life they all had. I would read, watch videos, plan and dream some more. I have always been a low key prepper and love perfecting my bug out plans and gear. Living on a boat was the holy grail of all my plans combined.

Fast forward to present day with adult children gone and working on their own dreams , an opportunity to downsize, sell my home and pay off my sons student debt-timing was perfect and the nudge I needed was more like a tap on the shoulder and a whisper "it's time".

After searching for the perfect vessel I found a 36 ft 1979 Marine Trader and it was love and first sight even though she needs some work. I was mostly dealing with brokers, and the broker representing the Marine Trader seemed to think I cared more about the aesthetics of the boat than the nuts and bolts of it all. I found this to be the case with many of the brokers. Honestly "I don't know what I don't know" so I was hoping for education, direction, and so on as I would do for a first time buyer on a home being a Realtor. Well that was not the case, I ended up locating the owner; a retired female firefighter, and having a sit down with her ( we sealed the deal ) I am currently typing from my floating home it is amazing and terrifying in the same breathe. *Yes I had a survey .

I have already experienced:

Having to tighten a screw in the stuffing box

(thank you google-not what I thought a stuffing box would look like) that was leaking causing my bilge to run several times a day-I thought I was going to sink literally. Imagine a frantic Realtor giving her dockmates her card in the event the "ship" literally goes down. Now once I understood everything I realized the bilge was doing its job and it would take ALOT of water and no bilge action to sink my baby. And my dockmates are wonderful and informed me no ones ship will go down on their watch. I imagine they must giggle at this newbie.

Chasing a drip from the upper deck and eventually tarping it off until I can redo the fiberglass. Drip gone but its source location remains a mystery.

After breaking down and getting over my fear to use the head, tank odor in the aft cabin. My first thought was panic-is my tank leaking? Anything I run into, my first thought is panic.

Every noise, every smell, every new experience I have to address is again terrifying and exhilarating at the same time. There is so much to learn before I can even begin to think about taking her out. As I sit here typing, I am grinning ear to ear and scared shitless. ( but would prefer not to smell it )

So AHOY! Stay tuned.
rtaek085xym31.jpg

Congratulations! May you have fair winds and calm waters. You are living my dream :)

That looks like Russ and Janice's boat. If so, walk a little down the dock and meet Mike across from you. He knows boats well, and can help you out.

Tell them Mike and Claire on the Grand Banks Europa say hi!

OMG Yes it is their former boat! We moved it to Marinatown!

You will refine your sense of what everything sounds like to a very sharp ability.

Trust it too. I’ve recognized pumps running abnormally to mis adjusted engine valves. Sounds even many boaters wont recognize.

A sense that will serve you well.

Might need to do something about that anchor. (-;

Welcome aboard and have fun.

Our boats share the same name! Our sailboat was named WindChaser, so when we crossed over to the dark side, we had to keep the theme.

We have a Marine Trader 38 aft cabin, currently in Chattanooga, TN. Love these boats and I'm certain you will too. Always something to do, but that's what I love about boats in general.

Welcome to the good life.

Last edited:
Simi not another anchor discussion.

Welcome aboard young lady, enjoy your boat and time here and other than me it’s a good group. :)

The leak probably is either from a stanchion or from window. Those are the usual suspects in leaks. Anything through the deck or hull can end up leaking. Even cleats can leak. So start with the obvious, is there any cleat or stanchion in the leak location?

Enjoy your new universe.

Awesome Lady! Yeah, the learning curve is overwhelming at first, but the great thing is that you never stop learning, and that’s what real living is anyway.

There’s always going to be help here. Don’t worry about stupid questions, we all have all the stupid answers you’ll need. Great idea above...to join the US Power Squad and take some courses. Keep us informed on the evolution of your dream. Welcome aboard and best of luck with your new baby!

:speed boat:I won't tell you what to do or how to do it. You will learn what you need to know in your own good time. Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.

Welcome! There are some great cruising grounds in your area! Enjoy them in your boat!

Welcome,

Read this, more than you ever wanted to know, but you need to know.

The New Get Rid of Boat Odors: A Boat Owner’s Guide to Marine Sanitation Systems and Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor Paperback – February 1, 2016

by Peggie Hall (Author)

Back
Top Bottom