How Many Members Are...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Art

Guru
Vessel Make
Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
How many members are now:

Just Visiting?

Posting Too?

If nobody posts, there won't be much to read.

We all have differing levels of knowledge and experience in different aspects of boats and boating. With a forum like this, we can ask about what we don't know and share with others what we do know.

Theoretically, in the end, we will all know everything there is to know about boats and boating!* :wink:

Hi Ron... not expecting posts... just wondering by the Poll*how many are*still visiting and/or posting on TF.* Seems quite slow these days.* Especially after OTDE was closed.* Time will tell.* Cheers! - Art
biggrin.gif

I also noticed it seems quiet in terms of posts...

I am a new member and we just purchased our boat in January, so I laughed when I saw "veteran member" next to my name which really just means I ask a ton of questions. We are bringing our boat home, up from NC to the Chesapeake next week and we are very excited. We have our broker coming with us which was a great service add on when choosing him, he is so knowledgeable and we are not so much.

Ruthless wrote:

I am a new member and we just purchased our boat in January, so I laughed when I saw "veteran member" next to my name which really just means I ask a ton of questions. We are bringing our boat home, up from NC to the Chesapeake next week and we are very excited. We have our broker coming with us which was a great service add on when choosing him, he is so knowledgeable and we are not so much.
Hi Martha - Glad you like your boat.* Great that the broker came with you!* This is a very good forum.* Many smart boaters, lots of great answers.* Search archives and you will find pretty much what you want to learn.* Although visits have slowed it seems that new owner*Andy R will get items back in order.* Happy boating days!! - Art
wink.gif

Art wrote:Ruthless wrote:
Although visits have slowed it seems that new owner*Andy R will get items back in order.* Happy boating days!! - Art
*I respectfully disagree. There are new and active threads daily. I've been here for 3 years and it doesn't seem slow here to me at all.

GonzoF1 wrote:Art wrote:Ruthless wrote:
Although visits have slowed it seems that new owner*Andy R will get items back in order.* Happy boating days!! - Art
*I respectfully disagree. There are new and active threads daily. I've been here for 3 years and it doesn't seem slow here to me at all.

*I hope you are kidding...I don't have the resources or the ambition to prove you wrong...but hope you have the resources and ambition to prove you are correct.

Except for the Faux OTDE posts ...I think there has been a dramatic slow down.

And I could care less about OTDE...

I don't know Scott, seems like when I'm unable to log on for a day or so there are so many posts it takes a couple of hours to get through them. Maybe everyone's out boating, after all it's been a mild winter.

No facts but it seems slow to me too. Used to be that every day there were new posts in everything but anchoring. Not so much anymore.

I just looked at the stats of the total posts per week and they seem to be inline with normal averages from the past.* You can see a pronounced slow down from a couple weeks ago and that is probably attributed to the temporary closure of OTDE.* Following the closure a flurry of posts increased posts counts and with OTDE temporarily closed we have less posts in that section lowering the average as well.

Attachments

• comments per week.png
    comments per week.png
    51.6 KB · Views: 81
Andy R wrote:
I just looked at the stats of the total posts per week and they seem to be inline with normal averages from the past.* You can see a pronounced slow down from a couple weeks ago and that is probably attributed to the temporary closure of OTDE.* Following the closure a flurry of posts increased posts counts and with OTDE temporarily closed we have less posts in that section lowering the average as well.
Andy R:* I ask respectfully... approx 20X drop after*short*increase/flurry due to unexpected OTDE closing, temp or otherwise... seems pretty severe, is it not?

<a>
tn-1104993
</a>

-- Edited by Art on Monday 26th of March 2012 10:40:33 PM

Art, note the bubble comment on the bottom right that shows why there is a drop at the end. That week is for THIS week and it's only Monday thus the numbers only show posts for Sunday.* I suspect the Monday post totals will show up sometime tonight when a schedule task is run by the server.* As the week passes our numbers will increase as well. The sky is not falling...

Personally I'm tired of these polls/threads about OTDE and others throwing fits and posting about leaving. They are ridiculously redundant. Anyone that has read the moderators and owners responses should be intelligent enough to see they have answered the question of its re-opening in great detail already.

"Beating a Dead Horse" should have been the name of this thread.

Hey Martha. Where on the Chesapeake are you going to keep your boat. I'm headed up to Seaford DE this weekend to visit my boat. I sold it to a great guy from NC and we're going for a short cruise this next week on the upper bay. Larry

-- Edited by LarryW on Tuesday 27th of March 2012 04:57:59 AM

psneeld wrote:

Same here.* If I wanted to argue with idiots and such, I would go back to some other boating forums.

rwidman wrote:psneeld wrote:

Same here.* If I wanted to argue with idiots and such, I would go back to some other boating forums.*
Ron Ive read several of your posts, in other threads than this.* Believing I somewhat comprehend your origin, I would like to remind and recommend...
During Hitlers too quick rise to power, alongside increasing free-hand doings of his infamous Third Reich Nazi Party and SS troopers, that developed into WWII, there was much death, illness, and ruined families that maybe could have been avoided if enough honest German citizens had spoken out and banded together in large enough force and in timely enough fashion.* Perhaps WWII would never have happened and maybe Hitler would not have gained*full power??*
That said; please do not summarily dismiss the need for in-depth thought provoking discussions and debate between thinking (simply disregard the foolish banterers) mariners regarding the currently too quickly altering state of affairs that are obviously developing inside and between the USA and other nations political, financial, business, energy, environmental/climate/food-source, military, religious, and social groups.* 20<sup>Th</sup> Centurys fleeting days of Business as Usual are now past tense; a new paradigm for life is emerging and its shape/contour should be well thought-over by not only the few leaders at top... but also by the masses too.* I again mention, Germanys too silent population in regard to Hitler and the Third Reich!
I fear that if too many honest, upstanding persons stand back for too long without collectively joining discussions,*for understanding of ourselves as*a united force, that future years may somewhat resemble one or more ugly portions of history.
I ask you to accept TF OTDE as a needed, wholesome, and multi leveled idea exchange for mariners.* It would be great if you would join into confabs for which you may feel your ideas hold weight.* And, I surely ask banterers previously frequenting OTDE to please either place intelligent dialogue into properly developing discussions, or - - > Simply Stay Out!* Thanks!!*
IMHO - Art *****

-- Edited by Art on Tuesday 27th of March 2012 02:38:35 PM

I don't see that Andy's graph says anything other than the OVERALL number of posts are down. Having fewer posts of non-boating related stuff doesn't mean anything about the state of the rest of the community. Your displeasure of the temporary locking of OTDE is noted and well documented, but try not to read into it that the TF are on the edge of the abyss. If we closed the Power Systems thread, the number would drop too. Maybe not at the same rate, but that's because OTDE has a few people that really post often.

Patience grasshopper.

GonzoF1 wrote:
I don't see that Andy's graph says anything other than the OVERALL number of posts are down. Having fewer posts of non-boating related stuff doesn't mean anything about the state of the rest of the community. Your displeasure of the temporary locking of OTDE is noted and well documented, but try not to read into it that the TF are on the edge of the abyss. If we closed the Power Systems thread, the number would drop too. Maybe not at the same rate, but that's because OTDE has a few people that really post often.

Patience grasshopper.
*I'm not sure what all of the yammering is about.* Last week was not as low as week 49 or 52 in 2011 and OTDE was at it full antics.* Yes the graph fell off but that was because it represented one day instead of seven like the other points.* Also you have one person that posts only to OTDE and they have not posed at all.

rwidman wrote:psneeld wrote:

Same here.* If I wanted to argue with idiots and such, I would go back to some other boating forums.

I'm with you guys there!!*I'm*tired of hearing about this.*

WOULD THE*PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN CONVINCED*TO CHANGE THEIR*POLITICAL POINT OF VIEW*BECAUSE OF*OTDE. . PLEASE STAND UP.*

We all want to salute you.*
evileye.gif

OK. I will post again to keep the stats up! :) With the announcement of the new TF coming this week, let's all wait and see who stays and who goes.

Meanwhile, I will return to stripping wet plywood from the aft cabin ceiling (water intrusion at the mast shroud fitting) which will keep me busy for a few days. Funny... it was completely hidden damage until the fitting pulled up. The headliner was good at waterproofing and hiding the deterioration above, A little dryout, CPES West System, plywood... whatever it takes! (Maybe this should be posted in maintenance)

LarryW wrote:
Hey Martha. Where on the Chesapeake are you going to keep your boat. I'm headed up to Seaford DE this weekend to visit my boat. I sold it to a great guy from NC and we're going for a short cruise this next week on the upper bay. Larry

-- Edited by LarryW on Tuesday 27th of March 2012 04:57:59 AM
*We live in Rehoboth and the boat we bought is in Manteo, NC.* We are heading up on Monday for Mears Point in Kent Narrows, MD.* Our slip starts April 1 so we have been exploring NC and enjoying the slightly warmer temps down there but it is quite a drive and we are looking forward to having her close.

We have had a 23ft Grady White in Rehoboth for 33 years but have bareboated a Grand Banks in St Thomas and explored the BVI with the kids.* Looiking forward to retirement and exploring it all on our own dime :)

Well, Art.* It looks like people who don't post also don't vote.* The vote ratio of those that do and don't post is nearly the inverse of those that look but don't post.* Or something like that as I was never outstanding in the field of statistics.

markpierce wrote:
Well, Art.* It looks like people who don't post also don't vote.* The vote ratio of those that do and don't post is nearly the inverse of those that look but don't post.* Or something like that as I was never outstanding in the field of statistics.
*Mark

Thanks for*input.**I*say... Yep!*

No Marin, no Eric, no Seahorse. Just a few who haven't been posting.

Haven't heard from Moonstruck or*old stone in a while either.

Just wondering.

SD

Unless it is a hell of a coincidence, this a'int the first rodeo for Andy R. We should wait and see.

Is there any correlation to the number of posts and the number of new members at any given time frame?
When I joined I was much more active. Now that I have gotten satisfactory answers to all of my questions I don't post as much.
I answer posts with what little knowledge I have, but don't ask much anymore. So................is it possible that the number of new members has gone down bringing down the total number of new posts? Or, as some have said, the stats dont show any noticable reduction in posts?

I'm glad that I personally have no interest in OTDE. It has nothing to do with boating. If I had a need to rant I would find a 'rant' site. I seen forums where the members that went on the OTDE or similar categories carried their feelings toward others into the boat sections.

skipperdude wrote:
No Marin, no Eric, no Seahorse. Just a few who haven't been posting.

Haven't heard from Moonstruck or*old stone in a while either.

Just wondering.

SD
*Don't you miss Ancora too?
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom