View Single Post
Old 09-13-2019, 09:34 AM   #7
firehoser75
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Hi Kirwan and Welcome!
For me personally, I would avoid screwed down teak decks. They look nice, but they can be a very expensive and time consuming repair problem. They will eventually leak and if not caught in time (can be hard to tell they are leaking until they are really leaking) can lead to damaged decks (and coring) and interior damage.
Also unless boathouse kept, exterior brightwork requires a lot of work, so I would avoid that as well.
For me, single diesel is the way to go. Twins are double the cost and headache for repair and maintenance, as well in boats of the size you describe, you usually end up with very cramped engine rooms (with twins) with problems accessing the various maintenance items. Just maintain the engine well and join a commercial towing service (if that would give peace of mind).
Real world fuel economy: I have a Nordic Tug 37 (single) and this summer we put about 200 hours on the engine and about 35 hours on the gen set. Including the gen set run time, we used 2 gallons per hour (based on the engine only) travelling between 7 and 8 knots.
I am not familiar with all the marinas you mentioned, but for location, Anacortes is very good. You don't have to cross the Juan de Fuca Strait (unless heading south), the San Juans are right there, and it is a short hop to the Canadian Gulf Islands.

My 2 cents worth, hope you found some of it useful,
Tom