Best garden hose end replacement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wkearney99

Guru
Vessel Name
Solstice
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
This isn't boat related, but what're folks favorites for replace the male end of a garden hose? I've got a pretty nice 100' hose that's had a sprayer stuck to the end fitting. My son and his friends attempted to remove it and wrecked the hose. I've tried various box store hose end replacements, and most were awful.

Any suggestions?

I used a "box store" replacement with a barbed end, it leaked (of course) so I added some Breeze clamps like on the boat. Works great, no leaks still use the hose.

Yeah, I've "worked around" all kinds of crappy ones in the past but would really like to revisit finding a genuinely decent replacement for this.

I just bought a new hose yesterday for the boat. I had a 6’ hose I used for my anchor washdown and after a few years the hose ends rusted out (raw water wash down at times). I decided to go with a 15’ hose to replace it and part of that was thinking that I could replace the end when this one fails.

So it would be nice to know of a good hose end replacement because I’ll know that I’ll need more for this hose as well as the others.

One thought that occurs to me is it might be worth trying to find a local hydraulic fitting supplier or something similar that might be able to crimp a 'factory-like' end on it. It was an expensive enough hose to make it worth taking it somewhere to have it 'done right' but probably too heavy to justify spending to ship it back/forth somewhere.

I just used high quality barbed brass fittings and a good small hose clamp. Worked great on my washdown hose for years of pretty heavy use.

Heat shrink tubing instead of a clamp makes it nicer. I have done this with air hose also.

The brass ones are great for fresh water. I've used several for years. Melnor sell several sizes.

For raw water, the plastic one would not corrode.

Attachments

• s-l640.jpg
    s-l640.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 171
  • 7371438.jpeg
    7371438.jpeg
    4.6 KB · Views: 782
I've used some of the brass ones shown and really like them. Hard ro find is the only downside.
The brass ones are great for fresh water. I've used several for years. Melnor sell several sizes.

I get them on Amazon.

I bought a hose a couple of years ago for the boat. It is drinking water safe and coils up in a small size. So far I really like it, got it on Amazon. Brand is zero-G. No affiliation just satisfied customer.

Speaking of hoses, this doesn't address the OP'S question about an end fitting, but I finally found a hose I like, for home and the boat. Zero G hose. They make an RV/boat version but I just bought the regular gray version. Light, easily coiled, nice heavy end fittings that screw together easily. Initially Zero G looks like one of those retractable hoses that are really just flimsy rubber surgical hose inside a nylon sleeve, but Zero G is much stronger, it's not flimsy and it does not retract on itself. I won't buy those retractable/expanding hoses any more, even the "tough" ones spring leaks all the time and I end up throwing them out. Lowe's carries Zero G, or Walmart, or you can easily order it online. Not a hose salesman, no connection whatsoever, I just finally found a hose that performs well and isn't annoying.

Comodave beat me to it. Good hose.

Every now and then I am fast, but usually slow... Nice to hear someone else had a good experience with the zero-G hose.

I use the $1 or so plastic hose ends from WalMart or Ocean State all the time. I have two on my boat now that I use almost daily. I cut a 25' hose in half and put those fittings on the cut ends, so I have two 12.5' hoses, one fore and one aft.

I go with plastic because it (1) doesn't chip or scratch the fiberglass, and (2) doesn't rust. I've never had one leak. And if I did, for a buck or two I'd just replace it.

To add a little thread drift, I use the cheap-o plastic nozzles to. Again, mostly to protect the finish. Those metal ones can really leave a mark! A second benefit is that the expensive ones seem to wander around the dock, as folks in neighboring slips tend to "borrow" them. They eventually stow away on someone else's boat and head for the high seas. The cheap plastic ones don't seem quite so mobile. And they're cheap enough that I don't really care if they do decide to wander. I just pick up a couple every spring when they hit the big-box stores.

One thought that occurs to me is it might be worth trying to find a local hydraulic fitting supplier or something similar that might be able to crimp a 'factory-like' end on it. It was an expensive enough hose to make it worth taking it somewhere to have it 'done right' but probably too heavy to justify spending to ship it back/forth somewhere.

Colliflower in Annapolis my be able to help

Colliflower in Annapolis my be able to help

Yeah, this was my thought. Drag the hose to them and have them use whatever tooling is necessary to put a factory-like fitting back on it. The 'to do' list is out of control these days...

I really hate the clamp on kind. They're bulky and never really seem to get a good seal anyway.

This is for the house, so it's just fresh water. Learned not to bring those metal quick-disconnects to the boat. Both from a corrosion and 'weight cracking gelcoat finish' perspectives. The all plastic ones don't seal up as well, but at least they allow parting the sprayer from them instead of corroding and seizing up solid like most stuff that merely looks like 'brass'.

I bought a hose a couple of years ago for the boat. It is drinking water safe and coils up in a small size. So far I really like it, got it on Amazon. Brand is zero-G. No affiliation just satisfied customer.

I second that. The best I've ever seen.

I used to like the bottom plastic ones until one blew off. Since have used the machined brass ends with a SS hose clamp from HD.

I use the plastic ones for a few years, they die from UV in a few years, then switch to the look alike brass for a few years, they corrode after a few years, then to the hose barb and hose clamp, the screw part falls apart in a few years, then back to another brand of plastic, then back to ...... they all fall apart sooner or later....yep....Zero-G...and I've replaced the fitting on both ends of those hoses and they keep on working, probably have 4 or 5 of them.

The Brockerts

Every now and then I am fast, but usually slow... Nice to hear someone else had a good experience with the zero-G hose.
I bought one about a month ago and love it.

on my anchor washdown, fish cleaning water source, coupla yrs ago, the valve i put thru the wood/fiberglass covered pilothouse wall, at the bottom close to the deck, many yrs ago, went south, clogged with salt, etc, i did what i should have done first! i put a brass pipe on the outside, to connect the hose to, and on the inside, a hose barb to connect the hose from the pump to!i made it long enuf so i could put a large washer, with a narrow nut on each side, to hold the setup in place. now there is`nt a valve for the water to go thru, just a straight flow! what a difference in flow/pressure...clyde

Speaking of wash down hoses, after 22 years the Scandvik wash down sprayer on our swim step cracked and leaks now. What do you know, identical model is still avalable after all these years, although with an improved cap design. $42. Finally, I don't have to force or retrofit a different replacement. Thanks Scandvik, whoever you are.10750_500.jpeg

What am I missing? As cheap as the plastic ends are take a $10.00 bill and buy five of these and when one craps out replace it. Cheapest thing on a boat to replace except for TP. :)

Go to ACE hardware, explain your problem and walkout with the part in hand.

Coincidentally, after my own and all the other high praise on here about Zero G hoses, I had the first one blow out on me last night. Only about a month old, laying across the driveway, evening, not in the hot sun or anything. Kapow, big geyser, spontaneously split about a foot long starting at the end fitting. Blew the inner tube and the seam on the nylon covering. The hunt for the perfect hose continues.

(Yes, five year warrantee but who has time in life to goof around chasing a replacement garden hose.)

Just replaced the end of my hose but got part from hardware store and it works but sometimes leaks. Heat shrink the just where the hose and the brass come together? Seems like a great idea.

Back
Top Bottom