Newbies w lots to learn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Teach the 3yr old how fun it is to work in the ER. Take advantage of their height. They will learn fine motor skills and problem solving. Unfortunately new words but consider they would have at school sooner or later.

My 11yo is proud to earn 'bilge monkey' status with various tasks in tight spaces on the boat. Anchor locker dri-dek, running wire for 12v outlet, checking strainers, etc.

I don't have any young 'uns around - but my wife is only 5'2"! :D

Want to send him to “camp” in RI for a weekend. We can teach him some additional skills such as changing head filter shower sump cleaning. Free room and board plus dinner for the adult chaperones.

New to us Transpac Eagle 40 Trawler

Just closed and brought her down from Maine to Cape Cod before Dorian could breeze by and make it lumpy.

Any other Transpac Eagles still on the forum? It seems like a little over 40 were made (of the 40’ model) with 20 or so delivered to the US and a handful making it over our way to the East Coast.

After some updates and the end of hurricane season we will be heading south for the winter and perhaps try some relief runs to parts of the Bahamas.

And just to get this out of the way up front:

We now have a big enough boat that we carry almost every major kind of anchor so we can win all those arguments! ?

Cheers,

Attachments

• 118D2A93-C430-4438-83E2-E58E95A489C4.jpg
    118D2A93-C430-4438-83E2-E58E95A489C4.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 43
Just closed and brought her down from Maine to Cape Cod before Dorian could breeze by and make it lumpy.

Any other Transpac Eagles still on the forum? It seems like a little over 40 were made (of the 40’ model) with 20 or so delivered to the US and a handful making it over our way to the East Coast.

After some updates and the end of hurricane season we will be heading south for the winter and perhaps try some relief runs to parts of the Bahamas.

We now have a big enough boat that we carry almost every major kind of anchor so we can win all those arguments! [emoji38]

Cheers,

Congratulations!

We now have a big enough boat that we carry almost every major kind of anchor so we can win all those arguments! ?

Cheers,

Welcome aboard. Congrats on your new boat.

Congrats on both the boat and dodging the weather!

Congrats, Adam and family, on your beautiful new floating home.

My husband and I are newbies too and this forum has become our go-to for research and how-to's. These gurus won't steer you wrong. (And I've just learned to skip over the hot heads...and hopefully to not be one myself.)

We also learned quickly that the right home marina goes a long way for asking advice from the locals. Our local salty dogs were a huge help as we planned for dorian's pass by SC last week. We learned quickly that you can't be scared to ask. "I rather show my ignorance than be a dumba$$" became our favorite mantra.

I look forward to following your progress on here because I'm sure we have the same questions too!
- Michelle

"Screw superstitions! We renamed our boat and never did anything but change the transom. Boat has been an angel ever since."

Well, you have survived SO FAR, but Davy Jones and King Neptune WILL catch up to you - me too BTW!

At least you're starting off right, by using the correct anchor for your boat and bottom type - so, end of that discussion. :hide: Now how much chain do you have? :nonono:

Todd

SCarolinagirl,
Let's see some pics of your boat.

We have our first official lesson today. We are shooting for an hr of engine room review, An hr to discuss wind and weather, and a cpl hrs on the water. I'm excited!
I cant believe how many boats in our Marina don't move! I spoke to a guy at our Marina who bought his boat 2yrs ago and still hasn't taken it out... crazy!

I'd love to share pictures! Here's some from our survey in July before we bought her. We are in the process of renaming her to Miss Linda - and will perform the required ceremony to Neptune before mounting the new nameplates.

I purposely included the anchor pix. The prior owner tried to settle the Anchor Question by mounting two, I guess. We used them both during Dorian and they did drag. Husband and I are having discussing now on rocna vs fortress vs mantus. When we win the lottery, we'll buy two kinds since we have two mounts.

Good luck on the lessons today and have fun learning all about her. She's a beautiful boat. (I couldn't imagine not taking the boat out like your dockmate. Diesel engine has got to be run.)

Attachments

• survey.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • haulout.pdf
    839.7 KB · Views: 47
  • anchors.pdf
    107.8 KB · Views: 24
  • windlass.pdf
    979.1 KB · Views: 18
  • lehman.pdf
    62.9 KB · Views: 28
Nice boat SC girl!
Is that a Grand Banks?
I saw your post about Anchoring during HC - Dorian. Are you not at a Marina?

Lesson went well ..
We're didn't take her out [emoji20] because it got late but I learned a lot about wind and tides. We went over most of the engine room and exterior. The Capt. Didn't charge us because we didn't go out and he wouldn't except any money after repeated tries by me. He spent 4hrs aboard!
The Capt has 2 "Bionic replacement knees" and I realize that every older salt I've seen is hobbling around. He said owning a boat you spend 10% boating and 90% fixing ****...all on your knees...
Wondering what I will be looking like in 30yrs...[emoji848]

I'd like to find a captain like that up here in SC. Hope your captain is able to come back for a second day so y'all can get out on the water. And I hear you about the kneeeeees. I feel like I'm on a stairmaster all day when on the boat. I just remind myself that many cruisers are retirees in their 60s and 70s. If they can do it, I can do it and maybe I'll be in as good as shape as them in 20 years. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

We went through a 4-day charter course before we bought the boat (more about that in a moment) but did not really learn about handling a single-screw-with-no-bow-thruster...especially backing her into a slip. And yep, she is a 1983 Grand Banks 36 Classic. We are getting there. Husband, Woody, and I have determined that we work best together by having me at the helm and him handling the lines. He's able to man-handle Ten Ton Tessy when she gets caught in a breeze or current while docking or anchoring.

We do stay in a marina, and I bragged about it on this forum before we brought the boat up from Johns Island, SC. Georgetown Landing Marina is our home slip and full of fantastic people. As Steve91T pointed out, it's an unprotected location at the mouth of Pee Dee River and Winyah Bay. They tell you when you sign the dockslip contract that you have to evacuate any time there is a threat of TS. Dorian came about 2 weeks after we tied up there - so we got to know our boat family very quickly. Everyone helped out with ferrying boats to protected creeks or other marinas. It's all part of the boat ownership process when living in this region, right? And I heard the seawall rumor too that Steve91T mentioned (6 years in the making and starting installation later this month, fingers crossed).

This is a long post so I will just end with this. Woody and I made the mistake of signing up for Trawler School Charters in Dania Beach this past June. We should have done better research, lesson painfully learned! Forum member, Trawler Dreamers, has a thorough blog about this horrible Capt Bob: Trawler School Charters: Caveat Emptor
I'm still processing the experience and what I can do to stop this terrible human from taking peoples money. Enough about that for now.:nonono:

Cheers to you and your family! Hope you get to crank her up and take her out this weekend. - Michelle

That's affectionately called "Yacht Yoga" by me.

My wife has suggested I do yoga to help with boat chores. I tell her I do that all the time in the boat. So now when I have to do something like hang upside down or twist in a tight space I ask her what the name of a similar yoga position is - that way I can get yoga credit. We call it "Boat yoga".

Ken

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom