View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
RE: Lancaster bomber photos

Quote:
markpierce wrote:
*Ditto except it was a Merlin-equipped Hurricane fighter at the Duxford (airfield) Imperical War Museum.* Naturally, they have a fully-restored*Lancaster on display.* I doubt there is a better museum of airplanes.

Try the RAF museum outside London.* Arguably the best collection of planes from WWI all the way up to the Cold War outside of the National Air & Space Museum at the Smithsonian.* The Battle of Britain museum next to the main museum is outstanding, not just a collection of planes but a recreation of what things were like in England during the blitz.* So far as I know none of their planes fly but they have a really amazing collection from little WWI fighters up to a Vulcan bomber.

There is a restored Lancaster in Canada that makes (or used to make) appearances at airshows and such.* Painted black, I've seen it fly in and out of Boeing Field a few times over the years but I have not seen it here lately.

It's an impressive sound to hear it, but not so impressive, I think, as Fifi, the only flying example of a B-29 that I had the privilege of flying in as well as doing a lot of air-to-air filming with for a documentary I produced to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the B-29.

I also produced a video commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Boeing Model 299 (B-17).* For the ceremony marking the occasion four B-17s flew in close formation about 500-1000 feet above the runway at Boeing Field.* Now that's a sound I'll never forget.* I can't even imagine what 500 to 1000 of them sounded like.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote