View Single Post
Old 08-30-2019, 03:13 PM   #1
Lookin2Loop

City: Miami, FL
Dreaming of looping

I’m a small animal veterinarian who is going to retire ASAP—but that will probably be in a couple of years. After that, my husband (already semi-retired) and I plan to become liveaboards.

We both grew up on the water, Gary in S. Florida waters and I in S. Louisiana and Florida. We are avid fishermen. While our cruising experience has been limited to a few nights on hook or ball or in marinas, we loved it and look forward to experiencing a new phase of our lives.

I heard about the Great Loop and began reading about it. Then joined AGLCA and began hearing references to Trawler Forum. Ordered and read The Looper’s Companion Guide. I love learning new things (especially important things that may save our lives), and the more I read, the more I know I have SO MUCH to learn! And, that I’ve come to the right places!

Our hope is to depart in 2022 or 2023 so we have some time to absorb the wealth of information, and experienced voices, made so easily and willingly available to us through this and AGLCA membership.

We sold our deep-sea fishing boat (a Black Watch) and have only our old tri-hull Woodson which is in need of yet another re-do (and will get it, it’s an amazingly versatile and capable little craft that goes from back country to deep blue Gulf Stream waters IN THE RIGHT WEATHER CONDITIONS plus overnighting) and do not yet have “the boat.” TF is an obvious gold mine of information for us to explore.

We started our boat search with an interest in the Mainship 400 due to it’s great outdoor living areas. Other than Looping, we will probably spend the majority of our time in warm Florida or Bahamas waters, so the extensive “patios” of the Mainship appeal to us. Also hope to board a Monk 36 some day. I’ve never even seen one, but it looks like a beautiful, classic “little trawler that can” with really good accommodations.

I would like to thank Trawler Forum for welcoming me aboard and my fellow members for your willingness to share your wealth of experience or, for hopefuls like myself, for those sincere questions that are exactly what I was wondering about, too!
Lookin2Loop is offline   Reply With Quote