Live aboard Hurricane planning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I lived aboard, the boat was in San Diego, and storms were unusual. However, there was one big one that was forecast to blow through, and I was not going to be comfortable with the boat at its bow and stern mooring off the marina; so I contacted a friend who lived in a canal a short distance away and took the boat there. Winds howled all night as we sat down low and comfortable behind all the condos around us. But in general, I always felt that to live aboard, we had to be ready and able to leave the boat for periods of time like when it was on the hard and the yard policy forbade remaining overnight. If I were a liveaboard and in line to receive Dorian close aboard, I would be be in the car headed out of town NLT Saturday.

When I was living aboard several years ago and at the time was anchored in Newport, RI, the remnants of a hurricane was expected to run up the east coast and possibly threaten that area. I asked around and found a hurricane hole in the Kickamuit River, east of Bristol, RI.

I was prepared to head up there and wait out the storm but fortunately it veered to the east of the Cape and we only had 20 kts of wind.

So that is the general strategy. Find a hurricane hole, remove all canvas, and if it is a really bad one, get off the boat and wait it out on land.

David

So that is the general strategy. Find a hurricane hole, remove all canvas, and if it is a really bad one, get off the boat and wait it out on land.

This ^^^

We are living aboard. We are doing what Dave said right now in JAX. Waiting until late tomorrow (Sat) to see whether we are bugging out on Sunday or not. TS or minimal CAT1 and we'll stay aboard. Any more than that and we're out of here.

I've known a lot of people who rode one bad hurricane out in a boat. Most of them swear they would never do it again.

I rode out one hurricane in Bermuda. I was on a mooring in a what I thought was a protected bay. My C&L trawler was 65ft and the motion so bad we sat on the floor in the saloon. I kept the engines warmed up. As the eye went through we dropped the mooring and tied up in the lee on the commercial docks. It was a terrible night. Before darkness fell we saw numerous boats broken away going down the harbor towards the rocks.

"Before darkness fell we saw numerous boats broken away going down the harbor towards the rocks."

That is one key ,selecting a hurricane hole needs a soft shore so if the boat gets loose it can be relaunched with the least amount of damage.

A possible 15 ft surge should be part of the planning.

Double up all lines
Add a fender or two
Put away everything that may become a projectile
Fill the water tanks
Pump the sanitary tank
Test the generator for at least an hour, fully loaded
Be prepared to host some shoreside 'new' friends and hope they bring their own food to cook.

Wherever you are, establish a relationship, which sometimes costs money. with a nearby yard that will commit to pulling your boat and properly securing on land. Then get out of town. That's what we did in almost 7 years of living and cruising aboard full time and we never regretted it. Even when we were in the Northeast.

Pulling the boat , at least in FL would not be a help with a 15 or 20 ft storm surge.

And living aboard when on the hard stinks on most boats .

Refrigeration, air cond , grey water ,even access all become problems.

Who said anything about staying on the boat? We left town and stayed with friends and family or got a room. We don't want to be anywhere near the action.

By the way where is this 20 foot surge? Go take a look at all the boats pulled at American and Whiticar right now.

Well, are you asking about cruising live aboards or dock queen live aboards?

I have this unscientific theory that Uber is your friend...until they can’t or won’t pick you up. A corollary is Enterprise is your friend until they have run out of cars to rent. Things can get rather stressful for an 8 knot cruising live aboard caught in the wrong location.

Last edited:
I am sure that many boats are being hauled irregardless of the predicted surge simply because that’s the plan they filed with their insurer. Failure to follow the approved plan that resulted in major damage will certainly affect the payout once it’s all clear. Follow the approved plan and resulting damage will be covered.

I am up in Baltimore and have a place in a protected Marina in Annapolis starting on Thursday if Dorian weakens to a Cat1 or tropical storm. I am also on a haul out list at another nearby yard in case it stays strong when it gets here. It is our first hurricane as full-time liveaboards and I fell better being prepared for every eventuality. In that vein I am off to West Marine later to get some more anti-chafe gear.

Last edited:
My boat is in North Myrtle Beach. I am in Cape May, NJ in my RV till Tuesday.

I have been watching this very closely, but not worried.

I have several options and several plans.

The chances of a worst case scenario at this time are still a 100 to 1.

Even then if the 100 to one goes down to 1 to 1...pretty much all my valuables are long gone....some are replaceable anyhow...and the most important are with me in the RV.

Just in case the worst happens..... the boat sinks and I can't get there because mandatory evacuations won't allow me to get back .... I full time RV till I need salt in my veins again.

"By the way where is this 20 foot surge? Go take a look at all the boats pulled at American and Whiticar right now."

No idea , but there is 5 ft of water covering the airport in Nassau.

And the field Elevation AMSL16 ft / 5 m

I am sure that many boats are being hauled irregardless of the predicted surge simply because that’s the plan they filed with their insurer. Failure to follow the approved plan that resulted in major damage will certainly affect the payout once it’s all clear. Follow the approved plan and resulting damage will be covered.

I am up in Baltimore and have a place in a protected Marina in Annapolis starting on Thursday if Dorian weakens to a Cat1 or tropical storm. I am also on a haul out list at another nearby yard in case it stays strong when it gets here. It is our first hurricane as full-time liveaboards and I fell better being prepared for every eventuality. In that vein I am off to West Marine later to get some more anti-chafe gear.

Very similar to how we rolled as full-time cruiser liveaboards. We made similar arrangements as hurricane season progressed in the general areas we happen to be cruising at the time here on the eastern seaboard. We typically had one of our cars or family/friends within a hundred miles.Never really had to deploy a plan until after we had semi-swallowed the anchor and became headquartered in eastern NCas full time L-As and part time cruisers.

Then I paid Jarrett Bay "protection money" that guaranteed us a haul out; they have a really excellent program that was well worth the vig, which included accommodating liveaboards and commercial boats with a special area and "last in first out" privileges if desired.

"By the way where is this 20 foot surge? Go take a look at all the boats pulled at American and Whiticar right now."

No idea , but there is 5 ft of water covering the airport in Nassau.

And the field Elevation AMSL16 ft / 5 m

Nassau in Florida? Here's a pic of American inland from Stuart. They claimed they hauled over 130 boats in a day and a half as of 8/30:

82309b69_62da_4b33_9ff5_a025896ea2b0_d40bd8434da4fd9039e8bba8e247feeaf23459d7.jpeg

Dorian is a slow mover. This blow has been news worthy for days.

This may be an ignorant question, but on a live a board in say North Florida for this slow hurricane, why would you NOT cruise to the keys or somewhere away from the blow?

I lived aboard in the Tampa Bay area a couple of years ago & rode out 2 "Minor (Cat 1)". I doubles up on the lines, pumped the waste tanks, filled the water & fuel, & was well up in the Manatee river. She rocked & rolled, I got up every 2 hours to check my lines, but couldn't get hauled because my "Spot" in the yard got filled by a transient with more $$$ & was there before I was. In the morning the Cat beside me had one of the pontoons sink. The New Owners (1st boat ever) were 4 states away when the word came down to "see to your boats." They didn't show up for days after.

I've been on the hard for the last year. (Blisters & engines), but my Insurance requires me to haul if I'm gong to be hit by any NAMED storm. I got clipped by one last year & the insurance, came out took pictures and I got a check 2 weeks later for my biminis. Took the $$ bought a new sewing machine and canvas instead.

If I'm afloat & get it, my bad, no coverage. Check your policy and make sure of what they require.
Do it again? Not if I had any other choice. When I get back aboard I'll run as fast as I can....to my haul out.

Action,

You want to motor towards a growing hurricane in a slow boat? Not me.

Seriously, lets do the math. From Jacksonville to the Keys, 350-400 miles @ ~12 knots = 30-40 hours at sea. You may not find anywhere to tie up or dock because they will be already full with Labor day weekenders and hurricane refugees.

Last edited:
Very similar to how we rolled as full-time cruiser liveaboards. We made similar arrangements as hurricane season progressed in the general areas we happen to be cruising at the time here on the eastern seaboard. We typically had one of our cars or family/friends within a hundred miles.Never really had to deploy a plan until after we had semi-swallowed the anchor and became headquartered in eastern NCas full time L-As and part time cruisers.

Then I paid Jarrett Bay "protection money" that guaranteed us a haul out; they have a really excellent program that was well worth the vig, which included accommodating liveaboards and commercial boats with a special area and "last in first out" privileges if desired.

I think that for your area you guys are doing it right, but if you are in an area more sparsely populated with waterborne vessels like I am, you often have better to protect your boat by mooring in isolated shelter rather than hauling out, which can be more hazardous. I am friends with a boatyard owner whose yard is a mere half mile from me, and we once discussed the idea of me paying him "protection money" of 1,000 -1500 dollars annually to be hauled out in the event of a storm. He was aware that my trawler was moored alone in a bayou with six anchors and remained unscathed during hurricane Opal in 1995, the most destructive storm to hit here before Michael destroyed us last October. His recommendation was that I just keep doing what I had been doing. His advice was remembered when I drove by the yard after Michael to see a number of sailboats (no power boats toppled) rolled over onto their power and sail neighbors, despite being secured with ground anchors - that's what category five storms do. The yard, which is over ten miles inland from the coast, remained clogged for some weeks as insurance adjusters sorted out the mess, and everybody was denied the use of their boats for sometime. During Michael, my now-smaller boat was moored in a canal where the trawler would not have been able to go swim. However, given the choice between an anchorage with other vessels and a haulout, I would have to very carefully consider a bunch of factors before making my decision. Do I risk another vessel plowing into me in the anchorage or another vessel falling on mine on the hard?

Here ya go...

https://news.yahoo.com/florida-boat-residents-ride-dorian-234036779.html

MERRITT ISLAND, Fla. (Reuters) - Ned and Lisa Keahey were well aware that the second-most powerful Atlantic hurricane on record was heading for them, having watched the weather radar on Sunday at a Florida marina from the boat they have called home for the past 20 years.

Even so, the couple had no intention of evacuating their sailboat as the monster Category 5 storm churned westward with maximum sustained winds of 185 miles per hour (295 kph).

"I will not get off this boat during the hurricane for any reason at all, save a human life," said Ned, 56. "It's home."

Rich, well a smidgeon of my thinking was that if something bad did happen, the boat would already be in the middle of a major boat yard.

Last week Wednesday Dorian was a Cat1 blowing through PR.

After that the intensity escalated greatly and was taking aim at Florida. If I was a live a board (Which in a few years I hope to be) that escalation would have concerned me. Getting away from the storm would seem prudent. At that point I would have wanted to travel South to the Keys or North of Hatteras. Hanging around to take the hit or moving would be the choices.

If that choice was made on Thursday to leave on Friday, there are 3 or 4 days of travel to get to today. Even at 7 knots, putting some distance between my self and that storm seems possible for a slow mover like Dorian. I have not tracked the speed Dorian has been moving but 9 knots and less has been reported for the past four or five days. And these things are definitely unpredictable and may be that is the answer. Who wants to be out to sea with a blow.

I don´t know, just seems if I was a live aboard I would want to move away. I have that choice as I live there. Even if it mean my destination was anchoring out for a few days. And may be that is totally ignorant.

Last edited:
Rich, well a smidgeon of my thinking was that if something bad did happen, the boat would already be in the middle of a major boat yard.

Yup, easier for the adjuster to total it there than having to go find it washed ashore or sunken, so many choices.

Last week Wednesday Dorian was a Cat1 blowing through PR.

After that the intensity escalated greatly and was taking aim at Florida. If I was a live a board (Which in a few years I hope to be) that escalation would have concerned me. Getting away from the storm would seem prudent. At that point I would have wanted to travel South to the Keys or North of Hatteras. Hanging around to take the hit or moving would be the choices.

If that choice was made on Thursday to leave on Friday, there are 3 or 4 days of travel to get to today. Even at 7 knots, putting some distance between my self and that storm seems possible for a slow mover like Dorian. I have not tracked the speed Dorian has been moving but 9 knots and less has been reported for the past four or five days. And these things are definitely unpredictable and may be that is the answer. Who wants to be out to sea with a blow.

I don´t know, just seems if I was a live aboard I would want to move away. I have that choice as I live there. Even if it mean my destination was anchoring out for a few days. And may be that is totally ignorant.

Nothing totally ignorant about considering your options. If you were on a low boat in north Florida this last week, you were initially faced with having to cross ahead of a faster moving storm (one MPH at present) and continuing south until you were completely clear of the changing uncertainty cone. Not undoable but requiring immediate decision and unwavering determination to keep going many hours a day, no matter how things changed as you moved. You might however have run out of US territory if the storm angled south a bit in the event it were to pass across FL into the Gulf. Would you have been prepared for a an open water transit southward?

Going north in a slow boat, as discussed before is never a good idea in the northern hemisphere - better to secure in place.

Here ya go...

https://news.yahoo.com/florida-boat-residents-ride-dorian-234036779.html

MERRITT ISLAND, Fla. (Reuters) - Ned and Lisa Keahey were well aware that the second-most powerful Atlantic hurricane on record was heading for them, having watched the weather radar on Sunday at a Florida marina from the boat they have called home for the past 20 years.

Even so, the couple had no intention of evacuating their sailboat as the monster Category 5 storm churned westward with maximum sustained winds of 185 miles per hour (295 kph).

"I will not get off this boat during the hurricane for any reason at all, save a human life," said Ned, 56. "It's home."

That's pretty brave talk and certainly not agreed with by the majority who have ever stayed aboard a small boat in much lesser hurricanes that Dorian. If that storm scours the east coast of FL with its eye wall, I hope the newspaper can find him again for a follow-up report.

Most yards are near water/river that will get surge if storm passes near. Your boat will be packed tightly with others and may wash off stands or get bunched together with everyone else. If you are moored in a safe harbor, its the other guy you have to worry about,breaking loose or didn't do the proper securing of his boat. Both happen in the keys with Irine. Boats on the mooring in boot key were taken out buy the cities dink dock,that broke loose and floated thru the moorings,breaking lines or pulling cleats out of the deck. Those boats landed in canals,rocks or mud flats. The boats that were stored at Driftwood marina were packed tightly and when the surge ,at 6' + came thru it washed every boat ,thru the yard and against the fence and mangroves. It looked like a giant game of pick-up sticks . Insurance is your friend if you follow your hurricane/storm plan. I have always had my home canal to run to, and tie across and away from the dock. Cruising I would make the the yard far inland the place to be if a storm came my way. Most marinas will / prefer that you not stay at their docks ,and if you do, your insurance and you will be responsable for dock damages.Finding a hurricane hole in a new area,it will be full by the time you get there with locals. Be aware and know your insurance , and stay out of harms way.

Pulling the boat , at least in FL would not be a help with a 15 or 20 ft storm surge.

And living aboard when on the hard stinks on most boats .

Refrigeration, air cond , grey water ,even access all become problems.
Depends upon yard and surge. . We had 12 foot surge in Ivan and Yard at pensacola was high enough to handle that surge. But, agree not many could handle a 20 foot surge.

I'll say it again, there are yards that know what they are doing in blocking a boat for hurricanes, and those who do the bare minimum, and everything in between. Caveat emptor. At least around these parts, you are way safer up in a good yard than in the water. A yard that can't take a 6 foot surge? Yikes! Not to mention, it has to be protected from the major wind directions that hurricanes throw at you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom