Fuel Vacuum Gauge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree that it is nice to be able to find Racor elements almost anywhere, anytime in North America. They aren’t all that expensive either. They also are pretty easy to change without making a mess, even for me. I can’t make a mess doing almost anything.

I have had Racor 500 or 900 filters on past boats for over 25 years and they are fine. Also adding spin-on's per Tony Athens in one case allowed me to compare directly to the Racors. The spin-on's were much easier to replace m had 5 times less gaskets and issues and also had much more filtration area and ability to hold contaminants before changing. We used about 1,200 gallons of fuel per season over those years and since we did not buy new boats we almost always had a fuel issue to deal with.

IIRC, On the Defever 44's and 44+5"s I've been on, the ER was accessed by a door aft of the forward stateroom?? Nice set up.

On boats we've chartered wherein the only (or easies) access was from salon hatches, it was pretty easy to pop 'em open and take a peek in there. Personally, I consider it a design flaw if the ER was difficult to access underway.
Yes, the DeFever 44 engine rooms are quite easy to get into. Love it. But, many trawlers do not have walk-in ERs. Monk 36, Krogen 42 for example have floor hatches. The ER on a DeFever 49 RPH (Plan A model) is acceses via a ladder underneath a countertop. So, on these boats and I suspect many others, underway inspection is simply not very easy.

I agree that it is nice to be able to find Racor elements almost anywhere, anytime in North America. They aren’t all that expensive either. They also are pretty easy to change...
Envy! They cost $80 each in Australia. I buy from USA,even with shipping + duty comes out cheaper.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom