North Pacific Yachts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks,

I'll pass it along.

Rob

Hey...how did the North Pacific 38 Sedan sneak past me for so long?

I've been grumbling for years here on TF about there being a lack of well built boats with a low *bling* factor for those who don't need/want opulence, and there's a company right here in BC with that (and having no dealer network or brokerage costs) as a founding principle :thumb: :thumb:

North Pacific Yachts - Knots and Boats

Last edited:

I've been grumbling for years here on TF about there being a lack of well built boats with a low *bling* factor for those who don't need/want opulence, and there's a company right here in BC with that (and having no dealer network or brokerage costs) as a founding principle :thumb: :thumb:

I don’t know Murray. You just must not have been paying attention. ;-)

That was a good article. I would only add that my experience with Trevor has also been exceptional. He was the broker for the 2010 NP43 that I bought used in 2016. He was fantastic to work with as a broker.

Despite the fact that I didn’t buy a new boat from him, he has always been available for any questions I have had. He responds to email very quickly and as near as I can tell treats me with the same level of respect and courtesy as he does those that buy new boats from him.

Murray clearly hasn't been keeping up with dhays. I think North Pacific is often overlooked even in the PNW. I never hear anyone in our area even mention them.

The only thing you hear about North Pacifics is happy customers and Trevors attention to owners and details. I know nothing about them, never boarded one but am impressed. Guys in Gainsville, Fl could use some lessons...

The only thing you hear about North Pacifics is happy customers and Trevors attention to owners and details. I know nothing about them, never boarded one but am impressed. Guys in Gainsville, Fl could use some lessons...

And integrity and honesty too.

Ditto comments about NP Yachts and dealer integrity. We have been shopping for trawlers for the last 5 years and kept coming back to the NP 45. Although not well known, everything is first class, pumps, finishes, 24 V thrusters with independent chargers, and other equipment etc. Love the ride, handling etc. My wife feels very safe at the helm. Ours is getting fitted with final equipment and we have a delivery captain driving it down from the Seattle area to SFO Oct 1st, depending on weather windows. You can get into a trawler spending less money, but will end up at the same price point by the time you add everything that already comes with the NP yacht. We eventually decided we wanted turn-key.

...and integral baffled fibreglass fuel tanks with access hatches on top...aluminum framing under hatches so will never sag/bind...solid fibreglass hull...Nida Core above...lots of elbow room around engine...removable panels with access to systems and wiring...cap rail is the only exterior teak...

Last edited:

The NP 38 is effectively the Clipper 40 sold here. I communicated with Trevor, the principal of NP when trying to identify the builder of a "Pacific Trawler 40" for sale here, a clear predecessor/relative of the Clipper 40. He recognized the hull as out of the same factory NP and Clipper both use.
The Clipper 40 has a good rap here,so should the NP38 there. I`m investigating a C40 at present.

Full Disclosure After Two Years, 300 hours and 1600nm:

1) water is getting in to the front bilge and they can’t find the source so I always have a few gallons of “fresh” water sloshing around down there.
2) the main water pump went out because it wasn’t installed with the filter that comes with it, which I replaced
3) the blinds that came with the boat are nice but are constantly breaking at the pull string. Trevor has replaced 3 so far at no cost to me
4) the generator impeller died after almost 700 hours (I was told that’s about the life expectancy, which seems reasonable). I replaced it
5) the oven broiler doesn’t work. Dave (The mechanic that Trevor uses) talked to
Force10 and they said that it probably came from the factory that way. I haven’t talked to Trevor about it yet.
6) the boat does not like following seas and can feel top heavy in quartering/following seas. I don’t know whether it is any better or worse than any other trawler in those type of sea conditions but I have never felt in danger. Other than that specific sea condition the boat always feels very solid and well behaved.
That’s about it. The only thing that I would consider approaching major it the water leak. The boat performs well, is a solid build and all the major systems work when I need them. I have not been in a better built boat in regards to solid build and fit and finish.

Trevor has been great to work with and has even given me a ride across the boarder (a few times) to get my truck.

1) water is getting in to the front bilge and they can’t find the source so I always have a few gallons of “fresh” water sloshing around down there.
2) the main water pump went out because it wasn’t installed with the filter that comes with it, which I replaced
3) the blinds that came with the boat are nice but are constantly breaking at the pull string. Trevor has replaced 3 so far at no cost to me
4) the generator impeller died after almost 700 hours (I was told that’s about the life expectancy, which seems reasonable). I replaced it
5) the oven broiler doesn’t work. Dave (The mechanic that Trevor uses) talked to
Force10 and they said that it probably came from the factory that way. I haven’t talked to Trevor about it yet.
6) the boat does not like following seas and can feel top heavy in quartering/following seas. I don’t know whether it is any better or worse than any other trawler in those type of sea conditions but I have never felt in danger. Other than that specific sea condition the boat always feels very solid and well behaved.
That’s about it. The only thing that I would consider approaching major it the water leak. The boat performs well, is a solid build and all the major systems work when I need them. I have not been in a better built boat in regards to solid build and fit and finish.

Trevor has been great to work with and has even given me a ride across the boarder (a few times) to get my truck.

Great information. With your comment on following seas, I'm assuming it does not have stabilizers. Am I correct?

That is odd. I would suspect shower sump, freshwater washdown lines, water lines for the heads etc... It can be a pain to track down leaks like that. There are several techniques for tracing where the water is coming from. If you dry the bilge then try some of those you can get a sense of what direction it is coming from ie aft, forward, port, starboard and move on from there.

I spent two years trying to trace down a fresh water leak on my Catalina 400 before I finally found it.

My 42 had a leak, it migrated to that same area, turned out to be gen set salt water line, leaking where it entered gen set. Frayed hose, lucky I found it. With following seas, changing speeds and checking autopilot settings may help. Steering by hand I have found makes the ride better, but gets old quickly. This applies for my boat when the seas get to 4 feet or so.

Doc, 700 hrs on gen set, wow! I have less than 400 On my 2007 gen. I must be doing something wrong, 3000 on main! And I see you are in the harbor, looks like a sistership to yours over on the gated dock.

Brand - I have Bilge Keels not active stabilizers. Although after my following seas experience I will have active stabilizers by November.

dhays - I drained out the water and followed the trail of the incoming leak but didn't get very far. I agree that the source must be either the sump or water lines. I'll find the source one of these days!

Rebel, are you in Blaine? You always seem to know where I'm at. Vessel Tracker.com? Jimdavi just bought that cream colored 45. It's 4506. It has the larger fridge and some sweet built in solar panels on both roofs. Some of the newer 45's have the water tanks in the forward bilge making more room in the engine room. Trevor keeps improving!

In a day or two I'll be leaving for Montague. I spend much more time on the hook than I do in marinas. That's why the high hours on the genset but you already knew that. I'll be coming back to Bellingham to get the bottom painted and the Active Stabilizers installed. Then it's back to my home base at The Deckside Marina up the Fraser River for the winter. Although I'd like to move to Portland for the winter. I need to find a captain to help me on that trip since it will be my first time in open ocean and dealing with the entrance to the Columbia bar.

Cheers!

Last edited:
dhays - I drained out the water and followed the trail of the incoming leak but didn't get very far. I agree that the source must be either the sump or water lines. I'll find the source one of these days!

I had a problem with the shower sump leaking. I had not cleaned the sump in a while and it clogged the switch so it wouldn't float until the sump was almost full. By then, water was leaking out of the sump into the bilge. When the float finally kicked the shower sump pump on it would drain the sump. Every time I checked on the sump it looked fine until I was poking around trying to find the water source one time when my wife was taking a shower, Suddenly the leak became obvious. After cleaning the sump and switch and using Raritian C.P, in the shower drain after the days showers were done, I haven't had he problem since.

I love this post! Thanks for your candor!:thumb:

I had a problem with the shower sump leaking. I had not cleaned the sump in a while and it clogged the switch so it wouldn't float until the sump was almost full. By then, water was leaking out of the sump into the bilge. When the float finally kicked the shower sump pump on it would drain the sump. Every time I checked on the sump it looked fine until I was poking around trying to find the water source one time when my wife was taking a shower, Suddenly the leak became obvious. After cleaning the sump and switch and using Raritian C.P, in the shower drain after the days showers were done, I haven't had he problem since.

Wifey B: So have Dave's wife come take a shower and you'll find the leak. :D

4506 “couples Retreat” is in Blaine getting systems added. Hoping to have Capt jack bring it down to SFO Oct 1st.

dirtdoc1, is there a freshwater tank mounted in the bow that could leak or overflow when filling.

Making tea ???:eek: surely your joking ?

Not sure why heating up water in a microwave for tea is shocking to you? I suppose it draws down the batteries when on the hook but I have five 8d house batteries and a 9kw generator to charge them back up. I'd rather do that than use up my propane. I have found it very difficult to refill propane while cruising. I usually have to take a taxi to the nearest propane.

Some of the newer 45's have the water tanks in the forward bilge making more room in the engine room. Trevor keeps improving!

I missed this earlier when I read your post.

That sounds like a great idea. My 43 has a lot of space under the forward cabin that isn’t real convenient for storage (not that I need more). The 45 hull has a more bluff bow and would have even more space. That would open up a large amount of space in the ER.

DD
Can't argue against adding active stabilizers, but not sure how much they'll help in following seas. Stabilizers can hurt at times in following seas as they may act counter to rudder input.

One very prominent NW boater added another rudder to assist in following seas. Worked like a charm. His boat is a well traveled blue water PassageMaker. Following seas behavior mods can become a dog chasing his tail endeavor. Ke us posted.

Our boat sucked in following seas until I followed a commercial fishing boat about the same size as ours for a couple hours. Best lesson ever :thumb:

I like North Pacific Yachts as I think they are particularly well suited for the Pacific North West and coastal BC. I think many of the styles of boats sold, both power and sail aren't suited for our area, suited well for California or Florida but definitely not here.

One of the things I like is the hard bimini over the cockpit, perfect for our coastal rains. The only thing that would bring this yacht closer to perfection is for it to come standard with vinyl roll down walls so that in the monsoon off season with a bit of wind in the rain air, one can sit in the cockpit with one's drink relaxed at anchor with the BBQ on and stare out at the coastal beauty.

I like North Pacific Yachts as I think they are particularly well suited for the Pacific North West and coastal BC. I think many of the styles of boats sold, both power and sail aren't suited for our area, suited well for California or Florida but definitely not here.

One of the things I like is the hard bimini over the cockpit, perfect for our coastal rains. The only thing that would bring this yacht closer to perfection is for it to come standard with vinyl roll down walls so that in the monsoon off season with a bit of wind in the rain air, one can sit in the cockpit with one's drink relaxed at anchor with the BBQ on and stare out at the coastal beauty.

I agree about the covered cockpit. It is one of the things that attracted me to the NP43. However, we have consciously made the decision to not enclose the cockpit with vinyl. It is a great place to be when it is raining, and if it raining with a wind, the salon or PH are good spots to enjoy the weather.

Our boat sucked in following seas until I followed a commercial fishing boat about the same size as ours for a couple hours. Best lesson ever :thumb:

Did they tack left and right like a sailboat? Not sure if that’s the correct term. Zig zag so that the waves are not parallel to the transom.

I was wondering if stabilizers were less efficient in following seas. I hope they help to some degree!

Please share the lesson! Think ewe... :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom