Greetings from the city of angels!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi all! I found this group from another forum - it's lovely to be here. I am just starting my journey to purchase a trawler in the next couple of years. Knock wood! Until then, I will probably spend way too much time on these boards lusting after these beautiful boats. If anyone knows of teachers, classes, groups, clubs, trawling folks etc. in the Marina Del Rey/LA area that they wouldn't mind pointing me to, I'd be most appreciative. Right now, I'm just happy to be a college freshman in the Trawler Forum Virtual University. Can't wait until my first Freshman dance. Lol. Thanks!

Boat Search 101 is the place to start. In General Discussion.

Welcome Aboard

pete

Welcome aboard. The CG Auxiliary has classes in your area. I was the District Commodore in that district years ago. Keep asking questions here.

I had a boat in L.A. until recently. It was berthed at Island Yacht Anchorage #2.

I can make some recommendations and anti-recommendations for service providers.

I know the marinas in the area fairly well, especially the lower cost ones. I found a couple of really amazing and (relatively) affordable awlgrip/fiberglass-fixers/brightwork folks. And I know a couple of good mechanics, depending upon the engine type (2x generalist, 2xPerkins). I know a couple of decent to good surveyors and divers, depending upon the marina. I can point you at a good salesperson.

I can also warn you from one big yard that damaged more boats than it fixed among myself and my dock neighbors and tell some stories. I also know a couple of local surveyors I'd stay away from, including one who is very popular with the brokerages.

...just drop me a DM. I don't like to post these types of things publicly, because marine businesses change over time and posts don't go away.

When comparing my boat shopping on FL to CA, CA had a lot more cases of termite damage. Similarly, trawler windows in CA tended to be stained with light damage, and many in Florida really did have much deeper damage to the wood underneath. Bottoms in Cali tend to last longer and be in better shape. In Florida the growth is harder and faster and there is //way// more blistering. What might be normal in Florida would be a wet hull in California (Although, there are plenty of boats with great bottoms and no blistering and minimal window and water damage in both places). Mold wasn't a problem in Cali, but hides in every corner of many boats in Florida (Ewww). A/C was rare in Cali -- but a necessity in Florida. Likely for that reason, inverter-only setups, or barely maintained gensets were more common in Cali than Florida.

Any rate, DM me if I can help with anything.

Back
Top Bottom