Skookumchuck Narrows drone video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
Some good drone footage from Skookumchuk Narrows, BC, Canada.

A location for good planning at trawler speeds :D

More drone fun.

Nakwakto Rapids, about an hours fast boat ride out of Port Hardy, BC:

Great videos. Been through both at slack water...checked carefully. I know divers who have tried Tremble Rock at Nakwakto. A couple minutes of slow water at slack is all you get before you get washed away. Have you taken your kayaks through there?

Here's a couple photos of our local snotty spot; Foch Lagoon on Douglas Channel, just outside Kitimat, BC.

Not quite as scary as the first two, but bad enough that you need to time it right.

Just got a drone for my birthday, which is why I'm finding cool drone videos...

Attachments

• Foch Lagoon ebb.jpg
    Foch Lagoon ebb.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Foch Lagoon rapids.jpg
    Foch Lagoon rapids.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Great videos. Been through both at slack water...checked carefully. I know divers who have tried Tremble Rock at Nakwakto. A couple minutes of slow water at slack is all you get before you get washed away. Have you taken your kayaks through there?

No, we crossed to Port Hardy via the Deserters Group then hugged Vancouver Island's eastern shore. Seymour Narrows focused our attention enough!!!

Your stomach must have fluttered a bit heading into them?

Last edited:
Yes....I was acutely aware of the consequences of getting the timing wrong. As it turned out, both were uneventful. Always nice to be on the other side of the big ones!

Yes....I was acutely aware of the consequences of getting the timing wrong. As it turned out, both were uneventful. Always nice to be on the other side of the big ones!

:thumb:

Great vid's, really enjoyed them!

Went through Seymour Narrows against the full ebb tide in July! In my defense, it was a small tide, only about a 7 knot current. I was able to work the back eddies for a good part of the Narrows, and kept my speed up. The last few miles, that wasn’t feasible. I ran my engine at 2000 rpm (about 80%) and made 3.4 knots speed over ground. Note that my speed through the water was almost 11 knots! No danger at all as it’s mostly a laminar flow....

Last edited:
What's a laminar flow?

Laminar flow is a relatively smooth current, with not much in the way of turbulence: whirlpools and overfalls. I hear Seymour Narrows is pretty turbulent during spring tides though! I would never try to run it then!

Seymour Narrows focused our attention enough!!!
I've been through there on a 57 Nordhavn and could not believe the whirl pools and speed of the water. We were doing 18 nots going south on a boat that cruised at 8 knots!:blush:

I've been through there on a 57 Nordhavn and could not believe the whirl pools and speed of the water. We were doing 18 nots going south on a boat that cruised at 8 knots!:blush:

In sea kayaks we milked back eddies along shore for a while waiting for the current to reverse (we were doing better than a big seiner out in the main current) then scooted out into the current when it was going our way.

Reminded us of paddling on the Skeena River...lots of 'boils' rising from the deep, even near slack.

Didn't sleep much the night before.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom