Getting Started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Naysayers. .

20 years ago everyone thought I was delusional sitting in my run down shack on 6 acres in the mountains and subscribing to a yacht magazine.

Just a dreamer.

Now, those same people that would casually say ‘follow your dreams’ (but really don’t mean it) are the ones sitting back ‘Monday Morning Quarterbacking’’ every move I make.

In the past two years I have paid off over $40k of debt, somewhat convinced my grown kids they have to start living and letting my wife and I do the same, bought a $25k 36’ that will need much work (subjective), and I am one step closer to the dream I have had for over thirty years.

I am standing at the threshold of actually realizing that dream. There is absolutely no way I will allow those same people to cause me to lose focus.

I used to believe that I was not very successful in life. Even now, as I am sitting on the deck of my 36’ trawler and under 55 years old, retired, money to live on, relatively good health, and sipping on a tasty Hurricane watching the sun set, I ponder.

Should I reconsider my position? Maybe I should ask the naysayers who will be busting their humps at their 9-5 in the morning.

I will just be choosing what lure to tie on the pole before I get started with my new full time job working on my beautiful ‘hole in the water’, as they all seem to like to refer to it.

I must have done it all wrong.

Or maybe they were wrong.

I can only wish you the best. If you can visualize it, you can do it. It might cost you more but in the end, you will have done it your way.

Albeit possibly the stupid way (as in my case) but none the less, you will make Frank Sinatra proud.

You didn't ask the forum for advice. The OP did so. Various members have offered advice and it comes with many different viewpoints, exactly what the OP needs to then make his own choices.

Welcome aboard WDR. Congrats on your early retirement. We didn’t manage to retire until 60. Loving it though.

I didn’t say ‘nay sayers’ someone else did. It just reminded me of how they are in every aspect of life.

I plan on soaking up the info.

My statement was summarized with words of encouragement.

If that is not appropriate I will leave.

Tackle the items that affect functions and save the cosmetics for later.

Allywolf: Welcome aboard and congratulations on your soon to be purchase. I have rebuilt several aircraft, autos and boats (mostly aircraft). I would start with a thorough inspection by system (hull and deck, engines and running gear, electrical, plumbing, navionics, etc.) Then prioritize. Keep her afloat first, seacocks, hoses and the like), keep her from further deteriorating, (deck and window leaks, deck and so forth), get her running (engines and running gear) then electrical.
You are buying a Taiwan Trawler and while they can be great boats, they don't deal with deferred maintenance well. Check the electrical systems carefully. Many have window leaks that may allow fresh water into the cabin sides, be careful of rot in these areas.
There was a Passagemaker article some years ago on Taiwan Trawlers (I think it was in the late '90's) probably worth reading.
Good luck, keep us posted.

I didn’t say ‘nay sayers’ someone else did. It just reminded me of how they are in every aspect of life.

I plan on soaking up the info.

My statement was summarized with words of encouragement.

If that is not appropriate I will leave.

That's what I got from your post. Don't stop.

Yes on getting a survey. Luckily, for the price even if I find that I'm biting off more than I can chew I can part it out and make the money back or even a small profit. One of the Ford Lehman 120's alone would likely recoup the money.

OK, keeping with the biting and chewing theme, I'll bite: just HOW much are you getting this boat for???

:)

Greetings,
Welcome aboard mssrs. Aw and WDR. Well, you BOTH seem to be heading of to a new adventure. Best of success to both of you. Please keep us "in the loop" as to what you're doing please. EVERY bit of experience, both good and bad is a learning opportunity.

Edit: What Mr. M said. "Don't stop".

Buy that thing and enjoy it. I bought mine for 913$ including his last months dock fees. She floats, Lehman 120 works flawlessly after a new starter. Rot on a few walls but none on deck. Replacing the PH floor this fall! And I live on it full time.
Go through the whole boat wih someone experienced, write down all the projects as wants/needs, then catagorize a timeline on when you can do them. Safety is always first though! Welcome to the Trawler Life and I hope you enjoy it!!

Naysayers. .

20 years ago everyone thought I was delusional sitting in my run down shack on 6 acres in the mountains and subscribing to a yacht magazine.

Just a dreamer.

Now, those same people that would casually say ‘follow your dreams’ (but really don’t mean it) are the ones sitting back ‘Monday Morning Quarterbacking’’ every move I make.

In the past two years I have paid off over $40k of debt, somewhat convinced my grown kids they have to start living and letting my wife and I do the same, bought a $25k 36’ that will need much work (subjective), and I am one step closer to the dream I have had for over thirty years.

I am standing at the threshold of actually realizing that dream. There is absolutely no way I will allow those same people to cause me to lose focus.

I used to believe that I was not very successful in life. Even now, as I am sitting on the deck of my 36’ trawler and under 55 years old, retired, money to live on, relatively good health, and sipping on a tasty Hurricane watching the sun set, I ponder.

Should I reconsider my position? Maybe I should ask the naysayers who will be busting their humps at their 9-5 in the morning.

I will just be choosing what lure to tie on the pole before I get started with my new full time job working on my beautiful ‘hole in the water’, as they all seem to like to refer to it.

I must have done it all wrong.

Or maybe they were wrong.

I can only wish you the best. If you can visualize it, you can do it. It might cost you more but in the end, you will have done it your way.

Albeit possibly the stupid way (as in my case) but none the less, you will make Frank Sinatra proud.

Good story WDR! Glad all is working out!

Welcome Aboard and Just Do It!! I would only add one comment, this from firsthand experience. F.L.'s are very tough, almost bullet proof. Key word being "Almost" . Find out what is wrong with the engine. Starters and injectors are cheap. Fuel injection pumps, transmissions, cams, etc. are expensive. Catastrophic breakdowns are rare but can happen. Those engines are good for 5,000 - 10,000 hours but if one needs to come out for a total rebuild it will be $20,000. See my previous post for a cost breakdown on a total rebuild.

GET THE BOAT CHEAP!!

My 36 foot Albin (1978) was worth around $30,000 this spring. After I pulled and rebuilt the engine guess what it is worth now. Yep, about $30,000

pete

AsheL: Thats quite a story. Want to share more information and pics on TF. Lessons learned, what worked what didn't. I am sure we would all enjoy this.

Project Manager

An experienced marine project manager can be invaluable in helping you identify problems, prioritizing, and staging repairs. They usually have lots of working knowledge of what HAS to be fixed, what SHOULD be fixed, and what can WAIT until your bank account recovers. Also, get a separate engine & generator survey- my marine surveyor stated “the engines and generator started up easily”; I have been through a turbo rebuild and am replacing the generator since purchase. Get the mechanics surveyed by a skilled resource. Otherwise- good luck and enjoy. Old boats have a special charm and appeal that entices many travelers, but they will make you participate in a very demanding relationship. Totally worth it- just be forewarned!

Buy the boat sounds like it's what you want, and your willing to learn and make her yours. I was pretty much in the same situation about a year ago with a 43 Marine Trader that ran well but had been a bit neglected. My advice is Just don't put time limits on your goals, every time I set out to fix something, I run into something else that needs attention. I had really planned on getting my boat ready for tuna fishing this year and it's almost Sept. and I still need about a week or so to change transmission hoses, change all fluids and get my inflatable up on the sun deck.

Id like to start a thread on my own repairs and such. Im just really slow at getting things done since I work 50+ hrs a week. Im also a newbie to boat repairs though

Restoring a yacht is an honourable project.
i just bought a 38' trawler to restore and i can confidently say the learning curve is a straight line up, the cost is a straight line up and you will need the patience of a grandmother. A reasonable restore is likely a better way to learn and to maintain your passion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom