Toilet smell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Try closing the raw water in take and flush with fresh water from a gallon jug or the shower head if it reaches. If that makes a difference plumb the head to fresh water with a back flow preventer or from a separate tank. Used the shower on my old trawler and solved issue. Simple solution

Fushing an electric sea water toilet against a closed intake thru-hull will "fry" the intake impeller. And it takes more than just a backflow preventer to protect the fresh water supply from contamination.

--Peggie

Peggie, Is that the really flexible hose?

Raritan SaniFlex RaritanSaniFlex hose is not only so flexible it can be bent like a hairpin without kinking, but in the 10 years since Raritan introduced it, there's never been a single reported odor permeation failure, nor have I ever heard of a single one...and I'm pretty sure I would have.

Last time I checked, Defender has 1.5" for about $10/ft. Raritan Sani / Flex Sanitation Hose at Defender You might want to check Hopkins Carter's price too...they often beat Defender. Hopkins-Carter Marine Supply and Fishing Tackle

--Peggie

Ok. Thanks that was the info I was looking for.

I don't see Raritan SaniFlex (the hose Dave asked me about) on that site...nor any other premium hose. #148 is the cheapest single wall flex PVC that permeates in a heartbeat...it did on my own boat in < 90 days. Vent lines and toilet intake lines are the ONLY place to use it.

--Peggie

Defender has the 1 1/2” for $8.49 per foot, that seems really cheap for the Raritan Saniflex.

I just checked the Defender site and that IS their price for SaniFlex. Lowest I've seen...they may be starting "end of season" markdowns.

--Peggie

Currently all of my lines are 148, although I'll replace with better any time I need to touch them at this point. Interestingly, the lines that were put in a few years ago (not by me) aren't permeated. However, most of them drain well, which helps. I did just replace the vent line, as the first couple feet above the tank was badly permeated (which I found strange).

My biggest complaint about the 148 hose is that it's a serious pain to work with and easy to kink.

Noflex Digestor is am amazing product indeed!

+1 on that!

I'll add a +1 to that as well. Seems to have tamed the stink in the black tank in my EB47 pretty effectively.

A key to the solution, however, is making certain that you've got a clear vent line into the tank. No dips or low spots, else it'll form a trap blocking necessary fresh air flow. That and make certain any filter that's present isn't set up in a way that can get saturated due to motion.

+1 on No Flex Digestor

I switched to No Flex to try to solve an odor issue and after a couple start up doses still had an odor coming from the vent line. It seemed to work for a couple days and then I presume was starved for oxygen. So I followed advice on adding a 12V live well aerator and problem went away almost instantly. Now just a small dose every couple days and all is well.
I considered advice on increasing size of vent line and adding another vent line on opposite side of boat. These solutions were doable and would not require constant power but with significant effort, so I tried the 12v solution. This worked for me....

I put a Groco Sweetank in a previous boat and did not put any chemicals in for the next 8 years and had absolutely no smell whatever. I am in the process of installing one in our current boat now. So far I have the pump and wiring done but still have to put the fittings into the tank. Will do that when we get home from our trip to Dallas this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom