Seaton / Durbeck’s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sparks

Vessel Name
Sans Souci
Vessel Make
Seaton 48
Hi, looking to connect with any other Seaton designed, Durbeck’s built trawler owners on the forum. I got one a few years back, that I am very happy with and not sure why I’d ever want something else. This boat is heavy and solid, and feels like a little ship but accessible and sized right to handle single handed. I rode out a hurricane last year on anchor, and just felt at home. Anybody else feel the same way about their old Seaton?

Attachments

• 0ABA886D-E88A-41B8-8475-E3619DD42C22.jpg
    0ABA886D-E88A-41B8-8475-E3619DD42C22.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 306
Welcome. First time I have seen these. Nice boat. Is the rigging for paravanes?

There was a yellow one for sale about 4 years ago. I was going to make an offer pending a trip to look closer and get survey.
By the time I thought about it for a few hours the listing was changed to "Pending"

Yes, paravanes that are pretty easy to deploy. Also keel cooled and dry stacked. The only negative in my book is the noisy Detroit generator. I’m probably looking to change that, and downsize from 20kw to 8kw.

That yellow one is back up for sale on yacht world, if you search “seaton” and looks like a well loved boat as well.

Yes, paravanes that are pretty easy to deploy. Also keel cooled and dry stacked. The only negative in my book is the noisy Detroit generator. I’m probably looking to change that, and downsize from 20kw to 8kw.

That yellow one is back up for sale on yacht world, if you search “seaton” and looks like a well loved boat as well.
Good set up. I'm going keel cooled and dry-stacked as well when I build my boat.

Stella is a 1989 Seaton 56. Don't know all of the history but we were told that six hulls were made and fitted out in custom yards. Our deck and cabin was designed by Neville and built at the Ross yard in Clearwater. I know of one other that is in Alaska as a crewed charter boat.

I have been aboard a steel Seaton 50, named Combahee at the time. She was originally Nahama and is pictured in Beebe's first edition of Voyaging under Power.

Attachments

• IMG_1122.jpg
    IMG_1122.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_9696.jpg
    IMG_9696.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 225
I saw one yesterday on the hard at Green Cove Springs Marina in Florida. It was bow out so I didn't see its name. Looks like it needs some loving.

Years ago, I almost bid on a Seaton. At haul out, so many blisters, the hull would have to be peeled ..... MY surveyor and the owner started tap dancing..... Right then, I lost faith on surveyors.
Another point, german cockroaches..... Once you have them, they are there forever, even if you fumigate the boat.

A coupl’a Seaton boats are featured in Voyaging Under Power.
These boats have a perfect look about them a bit like a Gardener boat.

Keep the 20KW and build a better sound box.
IF you insisted, go with a 12KW.

The yellow Seaton is in Hampstead, NC and is named “Borrowed Horse.” She looks to be a stout boat; has anyone taken a look at her?

Sparks,
Regarding the genset, the original owner intent was to canablize the genset for the main propulsion engine where there may be no parts available to get home or to a population center.
Genius idea! Consider this when contemplating genset change out.
Best regards,
Tim

Hi Tim, thank you for reaching out.

I just love this boat you guys built. I plan to keep forever and will live aboard most of the time when my kids leave the home. The previous owner before me had it for near 30 years and did a lot of care and upgrades. He loved that boat too but died and I bought from the widow (I would have liked to meet him). I was looking for a boat to do the Great Loop in, and I came across this one. The price was in my range and looked similar to the Kroger’s I’ve always drooled over. I studied every photo in the sales listing and looked for any info I could find online, which is not much out there, before deciding to fly out and view - I live on the other coast. The boat had been out of the water for 5+ years and in various incomplete projects, but it didn’t take long to see the value. Despite the state of repair, this old boat was built right, right from the start. You could tell just walking the decks, taking the helm, and climbing around the engine room, the boat was worth the time and energy.

Can you tell me anything about the build at the time, or of the original owner? Was he a pretty interesting guy?

Is there any other similar style pilothouse Durbeck’s out there like mine, or is each one a little different? How many total builds?

I’ve decided to keep the generator as is, for reasons exactly as you stated, it marries well with the main drive. I’ll build a good sound box instead

Attachments

• BF7C80AD-94B7-49F3-AB44-93660190B06D.jpg
    BF7C80AD-94B7-49F3-AB44-93660190B06D.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 209
Hi Tim, thank you for reaching out.

I just love this boat you guys built. I plan to keep forever and will live aboard most of the time when my kids leave the home. The previous owner before me had it for near 30 years and did a lot of care and upgrades. He loved that boat too but died and I bought from the widow (I would have liked to meet him). I was looking for a boat to do the Great Loop in, and I came across this one. The price was in my range and looked similar to the Kroger’s I’ve always drooled over. I studied every photo in the sales listing and looked for any info I could find online, which is not much out there, before deciding to fly out and view - I live on the other coast. The boat had been out of the water for 5+ years and in various incomplete projects, but it didn’t take long to see the value. Despite the state of repair, this old boat was built right, right from the start. You could tell just walking the decks, taking the helm, and climbing around the engine room, the boat was worth the time and energy.

Can you tell me anything about the build at the time, or of the original owner? Was he a pretty interesting guy?

Is there any other similar style pilothouse Durbeck’s out there like mine, or is each one a little different? How many total builds?

I’ve decided to keep the generator as is, for reasons exactly as you stated, it marries well with the main drive. I’ll build a good sound box instead

Can you post some pics, would love to see it. Also, the numbers on tankage and range etc. Were there any others built like yours?

Stella is a 1989 Seaton 56. Don't know all of the history but we were told that six hulls were made and fitted out in custom yards. Our deck and cabin was designed by Neville and built at the Ross yard in Clearwater. I know of one other that is in Alaska as a crewed charter boat.

I have been aboard a steel Seaton 50, named Combahee at the time. She was originally Nahama and is pictured in Beebe's first edition of Voyaging under Power.

I loved Combahee, and visited when it was stationed in Beaufort SC many years ago. Awesome boat, a little ship indeed. Whatever because of her and the owner? Time in a bottle...Combahee is a SC River. As a side bar..I knew that or course, being from SC but googled it anyway to refresh my memory and downlow and behold came something different from the sewer of google. Combahee River Collective. WTF?

Last edited:
Sparks--

I owned a sistership to your vessel--MV NAMASTE, a 48' Seaton-designed Durbeck trawler (hull #9) from her launch in 1979 until about 2009.

I lived in Annapolis during the early 1980's and your boat was moored in Eastport for a number of years. At the time she was white and sure looks nice with a dark hull.

Best--Michael Oritt

Borrowed Horse

The yellow Seaton is in Hampstead, NC and is named “Borrowed Horse.” She looks to be a stout boat; has anyone taken a look at her?

I’m going to look her over tomorrow. I didn’t notice the listing until June, 2019. Concerned about resale
10-12 years from now.

Any knowledge, sources thereof, or
experience on the subject? Anyone?

Last edited:
I’m going to look her over tomorrow. I didn’t notice the listing until June, 2019. Concerned about resale
10-12 years from now.

Any knowledge, sources thereof, or
experience on the subject? Anyone?

Keep us posted. It looks interesting. Seems that the cabin behind the pilothouse is some kind of add-on.

I looked at a Seaton design maybe 20 years ago..... max blisters, a population of German cockroaches.
"My" survivor was obviously on their side too.
I walked.

A boating buddy had this Durbeck. It was 46 Ft. He bought it in 2006 in Ct and sold it around 2013 or 14.
It had been re-powered with a single Cummins 6BTA 330.
He had been told that it was originally Raytheon's boat.

Attachments

• Garp1.jpg
    Garp1.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 164
  • Garp2.jpg
    Garp2.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 160
I like the lines but cannot find pics of the inside. I would think it would be impossible to dock single handed

Alas, very little information, for this design, is available.

Borrowed Horse

Keep us posted. It looks interesting. Seems that the cabin behind the pilothouse is some kind of add-on.

My wife didn’t like it; end of discussion.

The cabin aft of the pilothouse is original, but not as easy to access as the listing photos may make it appear to be. It, and the adjacent head do not afford standing headroom even for me and I’m “vertically challenged “, i.e., not tall.

The interior needs considerable TLC, but with that she might make a very serviceable vessel. I saw her at George Town, Exumas, in the Winter-Spring of 2016, and was impressed with her looks then.

Years ago, I almost bid on a Seaton. At haul out, so many blisters, the hull would have to be peeled ..... MY surveyor and the owner started tap dancing..... Right then, I lost faith on surveyors.
Another point, german cockroaches..... Once you have them, they are there forever, even if you fumigate the boat.

As far as the German cockroaches go there’s a product called fuse. It gives them a virus which they take home to the family. Had none after treatment.

As far as the German cockroaches go there’s a product called fuse. It gives them a virus which they take home to the family. Had none after treatment.

I was on a DD (destroyer), German cockroaches, when they gave the boat to Iran, it still had cockroaches on it. LOL

Seaton Pilothouse trawler

Gentlemen,
If we are looking and commenting on Seaton trawlers, may I draw your attention to this boat .
Look at the stunningly graceful shearline and please take a moment to view the video and watch her total lack of wake and turbulence.
A flybridge is included with minimum windage for docking purposes and a most convenient set of stairs- not a dangerous ladder to climb. Portuguese bridge double pilot house access plus a sumptuous interior.
What a beautiful, smartly designed craft.

https://www.boats.com/power-boats/2013-seaton-pilothouse-trawler-6821774/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom