Helmsman 38 Cdn Price

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nickcdn

I have been thinking about buying a Helmsman Trawler for a couple years. With the prices listed on the website, has any CDNs taken delivery in Canada and received a 30% discount since tariffs from China do not apply in Canada? Should I assume that I can subtract 30% from 485,000usd as my base price?

Call Helmsman and talk to Scott. That will be your best bet!

I sort of wanted to know others experience first. Curious if they can deliver to Canada instead of going through the USA.

They may be able to and it would certainly be worth a phone call. I’ll bet they would do their best to work with you.

I’d also suggest you take a look at the North Pacific offerings as well. See if the NP layouts suit your needs. North Pacific Yachts is a Canadian company so there would be no question of delivering to Canada.

They may be able to and it would certainly be worth a phone call. I’ll bet they would do their best to work with you.

I’d also suggest you take a look at the North Pacific offerings as well. See if the NP layouts suit your needs. North Pacific Yachts is a Canadian company so there would be no question of delivering to Canada.

Thanks for the info on North Pacific Yachts. They look really nice as well. I will compare the two boats at the Seattle trawler boat show hopefully.

Thanks for the info on North Pacific Yachts. They look really nice as well. I will compare the two boats at the Seattle trawler boat show hopefully.

Not sure which show you are thinking of. You can always send Trevor Brice of North Pacific Yachts an email and find out where you might conveniently have a chance to look at one of their boats. NP has pilothouse versions in 39, 45, and 49’ models and sedans in the 38 or 44’ length.

I have been thinking about buying a Helmsman Trawler for a couple years. With the prices listed on the website, has any CDNs taken delivery in Canada and received a 30% discount since tariffs from China do not apply in Canada? Should I assume that I can subtract 30% from 485,000usd as my base price?

30% off of list price!!! Gotta be kidding. This is how the tariff works out, all figures are SWAGs:

The duty is applied only to China content: labor, Chinese made materials- glass, resin, wood, etc. All other items- US sales commission, engineering, overhead, profit, non Chinese made parts like the engine, some hardware, are not dutiable.

I am guessing the Chinese content is roughly $150,000. So at worst case there is $45,000 in duty, but probably less.

David

Did the price go up 30% when the tariff was put in place? Doubtful.

30% off of list price!!! Gotta be kidding. This is how the tariff works out, all figures are SWAGs:

The duty is applied only to China content: labor, Chinese made materials- glass, resin, wood, etc. All other items- US sales commission, engineering, overhead, profit, non Chinese made parts like the engine, some hardware, are not dutiable.

I am guessing the Chinese content is roughly $150,000. So at worst case there is $45,000 in duty, but probably less.

David

Actually, the Cummins engine is also made in China. I would bet a good portion of the electronics that are shipped from the US to China for assembly, were initially made in China.

Just to clarify as I work in this field of international trade, there is a tariff on the entire value of the manufactured yacht. The only items that are exempt would be trans shipped items, but once in a manufactured good, the full tariff applies to the value of that manufactured good.

For example, I am aware of a situation where a Chinese business sold aluminium pallets which were not subject to the aluminium tariffs and countervailing duties (which if I remember were around 50%) which were then melted down into aluminium sheets once in the USA. Smart idea, but smarter US customs figured out the shtick.

Inport Duties

I'm no expert on the topic but between what the company I work for and boat building in general I believe the following is accurate.

Most companies including Helmsman use different price lists for boats "not" imported into the US.

Canada has it own import duties.

Helmsman recently sold a new 38E using a western Canada representative to a Canadian buyer

Even with the recent new import duties Helmsman trawlers still offer the best value over anything else I could find in this size and class of trawler.

I'm not looking for a debate just sharing what I understand.

John T

Helmsman Trawlers Importation

HiNickcdn. I'm new to the forum so forgive me for any blunders here. Although Canadian Duties are 9.5% on Chinese product with the US getting hit with 27%, there is a level of claw back that US Legislation allows for American content, such as engines, electronics, pumps, etc, that our government does not recognize. The short answer is yes, Helmsman Trawlers can be purchased by Canadians for less money, but not the full 27%. Hope that this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in Canada and have ordered a Helmsman 38E, Helmsman quotes a price for a Canadian delivery, Canadian duty and taxes are added to that. Contact the Canadian broker Calibre Yachts for more info.

Also be aware (at least according to another TF ,member who just ordered one) that delivery is expected to be just short of 2 years away (Summer of 2023). Apparently for the sellers and builder, this is a good problem to have :)

To correct an erroneous report about availability of Helmsman Trawlers:

Orders are queued up (the queues vary by model) and it IS a good problem to have! But for the 38E model specific to this thread there is availability for delivery earlier than Summer 2023. The customers referenced by Firehoser75 are actually specifying a delayed delivery because of their own plans for timing and use of the boat.

Scott Helker
Helmsman Trawlers

Back
Top Bottom