Winter storage Lake Michigan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbouch

Starting the loop next summer and expect to get someplace around Chicago by next September. Anyone have any recommendations for a good storage spot for the winter/spring of 2020/2021..

Lots of choices. Some get reservations very early. Some give you the choice of heated and unheated storage. I recommend heated. We kept our boat in heated storage quite a bit further north at Onekama Marine in Onekama MI. Lovely location but VERY rural. In the town of Manistee, there is Seng's Marina. Hopefully, some one will chime in with recommendations around Chi-town. Western MI has harbors about every 20 miles or so. Lots of nice little towns and some larger ones.

I'd stay way north. St Josephs Island up by Sault Ste Marie. Farther south in Wisconsin are Sturgeon Bay, Kewaunee, Racine, Manitowoc, Miwaukee. North Port Michigan. Muskegon, many points south.

You do know that the locks in Chicago are scheduled for closure next year?

I do that is why we are planning no further south than Chicago and want to make plans early

All depends on the rates you want to pay and what type of storage. Cheaper on the eastern side of the lake. On the western side Wisconsin is about 20% less than chicago.

I was hoping to hear from someone who could make a recommendation based on experience. Thanks cliff

Seng's is $6.75 per square foot for 2019/2020..indoor heated. Not a bargain. And a simple bottom pressure wash is extra. Onekama is probably better.

Again, I'd stay way north, maybe even on the Huron side unless you have a need to be on Lake Michigan proper. Cheboygan? Or wait until the locks are open, or take more time and stay far away from Lake Michigan...too many boaters with deep pockets.

Experience? I live in downtown chicago so.... my boat is in heated indoor storage in Racine WI at 7.95 per sq ft (length x beam) usually October through April. Marinas in chicago are at about $10 a Sq foot. I only have anecdotal information about Indiana and Michigan which is going to be less.

Lake Michigan Storage

There is indoor storage available up the Grand River (enter from Grand Haven). It runs about $900 a season for a 32 foot to $1400 for a 36 foot trawler. Not heated. Closer to Lake Michigan there are a couple of options in the Grand Haven and Muskegon area: Barrett's, Torrenson's, The Wharf...

On the western side Between Racine and Waukegan all indoor heated is sold out by now. Some indoor non heated and outdoor storage is available. Cheaper on east side and the further north you go. Book early for next year by June to be safe. If it were me I would get past the locks in July and enjoy Kentucky Lake a little longer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom