View Single Post
Old 08-21-2019, 12:50 AM   #67
sbman
Guru

City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Name: Second Chance
Vessel Model: 42' Uniflite Double Cabin
Now I can put the cylinder assemblies into the liners. I use a ring compressor that is the proper size for the 71 series detroit, 4.250". I bought a $50 ARP brand one, the 'proper' tool is over $400 for the name brand. It's nicer, but this got the job done.

The tool is tapered so it's larger at the open end and exactly 4.250 at the installation end. The taper compresses the rings to fit the cylinder walls with some spring tension. I line up the ring gaps to match the specifications and then place the piston into the tool and get it ready to install into the liner.

I then line the tool and piston assembly up on the BOTTOM of the cylinder liner and give a firm quick push to install it into the liner. You have to use a smooth, firm motion or the rings can pop out between the tool and liner and refuse to go in and then you have to start over. With the design of the rings, you need to insert the pistons into the bottom of the liner.

With that completed 6 times, along with pushing the rod bearings into place that completes the cylinder assemblies and they are ready to go into the cylinder block.

sbman is offline   Reply With Quote