View Single Post
Old 08-20-2019, 01:59 PM   #12
DavidM
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
As others have said, you really don't have anyplace to put trim tabs that won't interfere with the water flow to your props.

Also outboards act as their own trim tabs. By tilting the motors down you are in effect adding trim- the cavitation plate and pushing the bow down which it seems is what you need. If that isn't enough to get you on plane then a tab that mounts to the cavitation plate of your outboard, like the Permatrim will add more force at the stern.

The C Dory crowd swears by Permatrim tabs. But these do require drilling holes in the cavitation plate to mount them. West Marine sells an SE Sport 300 outboard tab that uses their Sport Clip which doesn't require drilling. And they are about $70 each, much, much cheaper than adding Bennett tabs. See https://www.westmarine.com/buy/sport...17?recordNum=3

You can also try flatter pitched props. These will let the outboard speed up as it is trying to get on plane and will add more thrust. The downside is that your top speed will be less.

Perhaps this isn't entirely relevant but I had a 9' dinghy with a 9.9 hp Tohatsu. It would barely plane with two people aboard. I added a Doel Fin (a small version of the tab above) and it would easily plane with two plus our 40# dog and groceries. I then changed to a lower pitched prop and it would plane with three people and the dog on board.

Basically your power is marginal, but flatter pitched props and/or cavitation plate mounted fins can surmount that to some degree. I would start with the fins. They should be easy to mount while the boat is in the water with the motors tilted up.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote