Should I buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dieselenvy

Hi everyone, first post. So... I found an albin 25, been looking for the right fit for a while, kinda fixer upper.

Was repowered with a gray marine gas motor in 93.

Sweet deal, hull is good.

Should I be scared? I could bring her back to diesel for about 5k.

IMHO diesel power is a bit of overkill for a 25' boat unless you are going to cruise the hell out of it. If not, you won't recoup the cost of refitting it with diesels.

Welcome aboard. I like working on my boats. A lot of times I do things not because they make financial sense but rather because I want to do it. If you like the boat whether it has gas or diesel then go for it. After you have had it for a while and you still want to put a diesel back in, then do it. First you have to want the boat. Good luck either way you go.

I want the boat. Had never heard of gray marine motors. Now that I've done a little research. The current state makes perfect sense. Anyone have experience with the fuel usage of this boat motor combo?

Fuel consumption in that boat will be negligible. Whether it is gas or diesel it won’t take much to move that boat.

I wrote almost a page worth of dispute over most of this article as it gets me going every time I read it.

But as so much is written here that people just blow off/argue or only believe"published" authors or "titled" experts...

I suggest researching way more beyond that article.

I hear you PSN, especially the article stating most diesel engines have to be rebuilt after 1500 hours! For the newbie, Pascoe is easy reading, but reader beware.

I wrote almost a page worth of dispute over most of this article as it gets me going every time I read it.

But as so much is written here that people just blow off/argue or only believe"published" authors or "titled" experts...

I agree with you. I know of one brand new boat, gasser, first trip with young son, burned to the waterline in the ICW, not too far from where I dock.

Man bought a replacement boat....... another gasser.
I sure to hope his son has overcome his fear of boats.

Most boat fires are electrical in nature...mostly DC...but beware of even that statistic.

Why don't you post some of those "way more articles."

I really wish people would start referring to Pascoe as the expert of all experts. I would rate the opinions of dozens here on TF above his. Yes, he's published, because he chose to be. Anyone can be. Now we have some great published TF'ers with incredible blogs and some even with books. His opinions are one man's opinion, but on topics like this there are widely varying opinions held by knowledgeable persons.

I would love to

See pascoes' data to back up his opinions. I too disagree with much of what he has written.

Gordon

Amen,
I like reading Pascoes stuff but gotta read between the line. He is often way negative to the point of providing lousy info. He doesn't mention any of the faults of the gas engine.

There's very few that have regretted their choice of diesel, but there's thousands that regreted their choice with gas. And there's a reason for that.

There are a few boats that diesel just doesn't pair up with real well, like my kayak. And it those cases an outboard makes more sense than a gasser inboard or IO.

And if you can get a diesel for $5K for your boat, that's not bad. You may not out run the gas, but will be significantly more reliable, better range and much easier to maintain.

Like a lot of opinions...people with different experiences could disagree with your last paragraph like they disagree with Pascoe's....

Too many it "just depends". .

Give me a buyer, an idea of the boats use, an idea of the boat/model, location and a few I can't think of right now.... And I think I could make a good suggestion either diesel or gas. But without a lot of specifics.... "It just depends"....

Last edited:
A friend's boat from about 2-weeks ago in SF Bay. Port engine had been running rough - he thinks the electric fuel pump malfunctioned. He bought the boat new 15-years ago.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4SnHaYziX8

Never a good sign when you or something dear to you is viewed from a chopper.

Albin 25 owner since 1986

All kinds of options exist, but the decision made by the extremely well qualified engineers that designed the engine as well as the boat, should be overruled only for a good reason.

This is not true for all used boats, many designs are clear compromises, lots of latitude is available, but this boat calls for a heavy compact diesel. Albin 22hp, Volvo md11c or other identically sized will save hours and dollars to install.

Andrew. Diligent is the boat

Many boats are nicely designed...but by the time they are built...not so sure great engineering always overides building compromises and shortcuts.
Through the years many great boats have been turned out....many not so great.
Owner modifications can be either complete failures or successes....just depends.

Hi everyone, first post. So... I found an albin 25, been looking for the right fit for a while, kinda fixer upper.

Was repowered with a gray marine gas motor in 93.

Sweet deal, hull is good.

Should I be scared? I could bring her back to diesel for about 5k.

You can find good well care for 25 on a trailer for around $5000 to 7500. I looked into the 25 and 27. The 27 FC on a tralier are about the same price and go up to $20,000.

Respect to plsneeld

The Albin 25 designed and built by Swedish ex military engineers is a rare commercial success, The diesel engine, AD 22, designed for the boat was licensed (sold) by the designers to Volvo exactly as it was built it was re labeled Volvo.

The internal venting designed by the original naval architects keeps the interior 10-15% cooler than the outside air.

Having said that, I was way wrong, IF it was repowered and run with a grey marine gas engine.

If it runs and works, good, if not, then think about this major change.

Or, I could be wrong

Andrew

I just hate the thought of using gas and especially sleeping over the tank. Must be because I saw more than one boat explode at the fuel dock back in the 1960s when I was a kid.

I just hate the thought of using gas and especially sleeping over the tank. Must be because I saw more than one boat explode at the fuel dock back in the 1960s when I was a kid.

SIGH
I too remember the 1960s..... Daymn, are we old. :banghead:
I would like to believe, technology has made gas boats safer.

Our first boat was an Albin 25 diesel. Burned .75 gph. Great boats! Here is a link to one of our trips if you feel like reading it.

Princess Louisa Inlet 2010

I personally would vote for the diesel for overall safety and economy in the long run.

Keith

Over the years we have owned two Albin 25s. The first, in the mid '80's, was a 1976 Deluxe model and came with a 36HP 3 cylinder Volvo, I forget the model name. It was a great boat for a family with small children.
Our second Albin (in 2008) was a 1972 Motorsailor that had been repowered with a 27HP 3 cylinder Yanmar.
Bother were incredibly well designed and built; as was mentioned earlier they have a passive air circulation system that keeps the boat cooler than one would expect.
The 36HP would get us 7-8 knots with a theoretical 11 knots, while the 27HP would give 6.5-7 knots. I believe there had been a slight hull change between the two hull years but am not sure.
Most that I see these days have had a hardtop added that covers the entire cockpit. Some are better built than others. Our latter one had probably the best built of the lot.
My personal preference would be to have a diesel, but that's all it is, personal preference.

SIGH
I too remember the 1960s..... Daymn, are we old. :banghead:
I would like to believe, technology has made gas boats safer.

Wifey B: I don't remember the 1960's or the 1970's. Hubby was alive in the 1970's but doesn't remember them. :rolleyes:

What diesel are you going to reposer with--and what condition is that engine? I would only go with one of the original engines--or similar.

I also disagree with Pascoe on that article about Diesel engines. Some of this may apply to larger with horsepower ratings way above what is reasonable from their naturally aspirated states.

I have had a number of small diesels go to 5,000 hours, and go on for many more years in the next owner's hands.

The Gray Marine was a very common gas engine back many years ago. After WWII Gray Marine was a division of Continental. I personally would convert the boat back to diesel. I also have a number of visions stored in my brain of gas powered motor vessels exploding and burning--and occasionally treating some of those burn victims.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom