5.0kw Westerbeke no power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonzy1

Vessel Make
2007 Henriques 35 Express
I realize I probably need to give more info for help but I don't think I have much.

Started the gen I think perhaps under load (my bad) and as soon as it started it bogged down hard for a few seconds then came back up to normal RPMs but no power output now and making a very slight whining noise that it did not make before.

Also slight smell of burning electrical.

I am going to call the mechanic tomorrow but trying to satisfy my own curiosity in the meantime.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

These are pretty well known for burning out stators. A rewind may be in your future. Need to do winding resistance checks to confirm. Could be a failed capacitor, but rarely does that cause a burning smell.

These are pretty well known for burning out stators. A rewind may be in your future. Need to do winding resistance checks to confirm. Could be a failed capacitor, but rarely does that cause a burning smell.

Thanks Ski
informative as usual

The parts cost for me Kohler 6EOD 6kw genset's stator was about $1500, which seemed steep to me. Not sure if your Westerbeke will fall in that ballpark or not.

But, I think I have seen rewind services for about $500.

The parts cost for me Kohler 6EOD 6kw genset's stator was about $1500, which seemed steep to me. Not sure if your Westerbeke will fall in that ballpark or not.

But, I think I have seen rewind services for about $500.

Gothca
Thank you

mechanic was out there today. Back end is shot.
Does 3,000 for the back end complete sound rt?

I think I may be looking at around 5k to do the whole job.

Between parts and labor, the mechanic charged me about $3k to replace my rotor and regulator.

For that kind of money, I might have done it myself, but I actually got $5k off of the boat for it being advertised as new and non-working. That $5k covered the rotor-regulator and also moving the exhaust to decrease likelihood of ingestion as recommended by the generator mechanic. If figured I'd let someone else do it and get to the other items of the refit myself.

Broward armature rehabbed my 8.0 KW generator end fr $2500 2 years ago .

Between parts and labor, the mechanic charged me about $3k to replace my rotor and regulator.

For that kind of money, I might have done it myself, but I actually got $5k off of the boat for it being advertised as new and non-working. That $5k covered the rotor-regulator and also moving the exhaust to decrease likelihood of ingestion as recommended by the generator mechanic. If figured I'd let someone else do it and get to the other items of the refit myself.

he said 3000 for the part I thought
maybe he meant all in but I dont think so
will find out tomorrow

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom