Composting toilet experiences?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Even Kiehl

Vessel Name
Even Kiehl
Hello, Just bought a 28' boat with enclosed head and porta potti which I would like to replace. Anyone have any recommendations or experience with various types and makes ? Will not be used often, but for paying charter guests a porta potti will not do.
thanks,
Stuart

Attachments

• IMG_6443.jpg
    IMG_6443.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 96
Watch YouTube reviews of actual users. �� lots of negatives. It will be interesting to hear from forum members.

Composting heads are viable....except with charter folk . Too much instruction and very foreign concept for visitors I would suspect.

We've used a Nature's Head in our Albin for 8 or 9 years and it's turned out to be everything we'd hoped for. Our boat came to us with a conventional marine toilet uninstalled (Jabsco, I think). I had no experience with those, having cruised for years in two boats equipped with porta potties. We decided to get the Nature's Head for the Albin at the outset and have never looked back. The composting head allows us to cruise for a week with no need for a pump-out. The solid waste container does not have to be emptied until the end of the season, however, the urine jugs do need to be emptied. We have two, so we can go for 5 to 7 days between service.

I agree that charter folk might not like them, but have no experience in that regard.

Its almost impossible to get male guests to sit while urinating.

I would install a cheap manual head and 10-20 gallon tank.

If there is space, one brand of head uses an RV style flush and has its tank mounted just under the head.This would be First choice as it is trouble free and there is no operational learning curve .

Might be able to swap back & forth between composting for you and idiots delight on charter days?

I have a Natures Head and it has been fine for us. Doesn’t smell, easy to dump urine tank, fairly easy to dump solids bin. Seems well constructed, doesn’t make noise, doesn’t clog up.

However, there is a learning curve, and you would really have to instruct your charter guests on how to use it. The male sitting down to pee may be hard for some. That part doesn’t bother me. But at least the charter guests won’t be able to clog up a toilet with a composter!

But at least the charter guests won’t be able to clog up a toilet with a composter!

That's a good point.

We have an Air Head desiccating toilet, but have only been using it for about a month. (For a couple years before that we used a Separette Privy 500 as a proof of concept before shelling out big bucks for a real toilet). In the instructions it shows a 'sweet spot' where males standing while urinating should aim for.

I've always sat down so don't know how well it works, but it seems the plan is for the force of initial flow to head up and around the bowl before it heads down towards the urine container. You don't want to get piss into the crap section or you'll end up with a soupy, stinking mess!

If somebody does goof up and gets it wrong with a desiccating head you just dump it and start again. If they clog up or otherwise screw up a flushing marine head you may have a harder time (understatement!) to get things working properly again.

Thanks all, will continue my research and had no idea that one has to "aim" and must be seated. The explanations to charter guests I feel would be more complex, time consuming and put conversation into areas which should be routine in my safety talk before leaving the dock. I do not want to start the trip with titters and laughter about various toilet postures. I have not read the materials from the manufacturers just gotten an initial highlight reel, but I do not recall the exactness required...

From the comments, I think for personal use the composting head would probably be the way to go. But for temporary paying guests, it seems it may not be suitable.

I usually post this video for composting toilet talks. This video is from the "Gone with the Wynns" series. They started the series in a motorhome then moved to a large cat sailing vessel, and use their Nature's Heads on the boat as well.

Air Heads are better if space is tight as you don't have to include space for the hinged top as you do with Nature's Head. The top just lifts off from an Air Head.

I usually post this video for composting toilet talks. This video is from the "Gone with the Wynns" series. They started the series in a motorhome then moved to a large cat sailing vessel, and use their Nature's Heads on the boat as well.

Air Heads are better if space is tight as you don't have to include space for the hinged top as you do with Nature's Head. The top just lifts off from an Air Head.

That’s a great video, and the Wynns are the ones who “talked me into” a composting head.

The cool thing about the Wynns is they admit they are “know nothing” sailors (although they’ve been about 1/2 way around the world at this point), so they are not held back by any norms or conventions.

I visited a boat that had a composting head. I think the owner went 'nose blind'.
I have no idea of the brand name. This was about 15 years ago. Perhaps it was poorly maintained.
Needless to say, I did not stay long.

Last edited:
Sounds like their vent fan had quit working. That happens; I've replaced the original. I listen for the very fan noise when I turn on the power in our boat.

When parked in our driveway on the trailer the composting head vent fan operates on garage power.

I visited a boat that had a composting head. I think the owner went 'nose blind'.
Needless to say, I did not stay long.

Sounds like their vent fan had quit working. That happens; I've replaced the original. I listen for the very fan noise when I turn on the power in our boat.

When parked in our driveway on the trailer the composting head vent fan operates on garage power.

and technology can change in 20 years too.
What happens when one runs out the proper moss or the coconut fiber?

and technology can change in 20 years too.
What happens when one runs out the proper moss or the coconut fiber?

They sell it in gardening stores...gardening stores should be around for a while.

I know you are asking about composting heads, but maybe in a charter boat it may not meet your needs. If you end up going with a traditional head, I would get a Raritan Marine Elegance. Not the cheapest but it is one of the best.

I live in a temperate rain forest...you can't walk two paces in any direction without stepping on moss.

I can do this all day :D

Moss? Ah but, is it the correct species of moss.

Those coconut coir bricks pack into tight spaces and fluff up to an extraordinary degree when the right amount of water is added. We could easily store enough bricks for a decade if we wanted.

Those coconut coir bricks pack into tight spaces and fluff up to an extraordinary degree when the right amount of water is added. We could easily store enough bricks for a decade if we wanted.

LOL Reminds me, my ex-wife was always afraid of running out of toilet paper. When she left me, I had more than enough toilet paper to last well over a year.

OK, the forum has answered my question: the good is that if I were not having regular paying guests I would certainly consider and probably install a composting toilet. Bur for paying passengers it is not appropriate.
Now to consider what to put in. It is always a complication when I have to explain pumping out, and water coming in equally as out, switching the lever to out only, then back, etc. A foot flush is simpler for them. So I will continue, and thank you all for your time, and a reminder to myself that Youtube has most every answer, yes, I am dating myself... Thanks again, Stuart :)

Last edited:
I repeat that a composter should not be automatically discounted for charter guests. There is so much negative attitude here and elsewhere about the composting toilets. Don’t let that overly influence your decision. Standard marine toilets with seacocks, joker valves, holding tanks with sensors, gross pumpout procedures and complicated flushing instructions is a fertile ground for all sorts of problems for charter guests. Just search on this forum for toilet and look at all the problems people have with their marine toilet systems.

Do what you want, but don’t let the fact that you have to tell a male charter guest he has to sit down to pee be a deal breaker. There is virtually NOTHING that will break down on a composter during a charter.

Advice well taken, thank you. Will re consider it and much appreciation for the follow up to my process of decision making, which is in its Discovery Stage and learning, so fruitful to learn from thoughts and experiences of others!
BTW, I feel there has been very little "negative attitude" in responses, at least what I have interpreted. More research is needed at my end to learn more...
Thanks again!
Cheers
Stuart

OK, the forum has answered my question: the good is that if I were not having regular paying guests I would certainly consider and probably install a composting toilet. Bur for paying passengers it is not

Paying guest? Whoa mama..... You are an official USCG licensed Captain and your boat is made in the US?

Last edited:
Paying guest? Whoa mama..... You are an official USCG licensed Captain and your boat is made in the US?

Are you the charter police? He said in the first post that it is for charter guests. That would suggest he intends to run a charter boat. Interesting that you feel the need to question his legitimacy as a charter captain when his question is about composting heads.

Thank you, Guy With a Boat, Old Dan 1943, "whoa Mama..." is out of line. Current USCG 100 GT Master, and am aware of Marad, yes, boat made in US, and I find your remarks offensive. Please, no need to reply unless a safety issue or constructive advice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom