Beneteau ST 44 potential sea water intrusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I understand that the ports are for a temperature sensor. Local Volvo mechanic came to install these for me but, since the plug configuration didn't match he was unable to install them.

Anyway, I'm hoping that the new design of the risers was initiated because of turbo problems, like mine. So far, so good.

I think the concern is there is no new design? There would likely be a tech bulletin if so. As djmarchand said "don't think new riser will help unless it changes the geometry" and its unlikely geometry was changed unless other modifications were needed to the exhaust system. I wonder if any other Swift Trawler 44 owners have opened their turbos and can comment on what they have seen?

I think the concern is there is no new design? There would likely be a tech bulletin if so. As djmarchand said "don't think new riser will help unless it changes the geometry" and its unlikely geometry was changed unless other modifications were needed to the exhaust system. I wonder if any other Swift Trawler 44 owners have opened their turbos and can comment on what they have seen?

Michael's exhaust setup as pictured in post 57 doesn't look too bad. How does your's compare?

Michael's exhaust setup as pictured in post 57 doesn't look too bad. How does your's compare?

All the ST44 have the same exhaust design from what I understand. The port and starboard sides are slightly different in terms of length of hose and angle though.

Well, I continued to have trouble with seizing turbos. Volvo rep recommended new risers so I followed their lead.

Here is a photo of the new ones, with a totally new design. No need for the insulation pads and there looks to be a brass drain plug.

So far, so good.

Hi Richard,

Happy New Year! I hope that all is well!

Were you ever able to confirm these risers are any different other than the insulation is not needed? Are the connections, hoses, anything at a different angle or configuration?

Unfortunately my boat is far away at the moment so I cannot compare what mine look like to your picture. Perhaps other ST44 owners can chime in too? I am having a Volvo tech do some work on the Volvos and wanted to see if I should inquire as to a rise replacement if there is a new design.

My boat is a 2015 but engine built early 2014 IIRC. If there is a new design, wondering if/when Volvo implemented it moving forward...

Thank you!

Last edited:
Sent an email to my list of Beneteau contacts to see if they have an "official" position on the exhaust/turbo issue.

Stay tuned.......

Hi Sojourn did you ever receive back any comments from Beneteau on this? Thanks!

Update: No problem with new turbos (knocking on wood!!!)

If good performance continues one (or combination) of reasons could be:

1) I never start the engines unless I'm going to full warm up and run hard at WOT

2) The updated design of my Volvo risers.

3) After each use, and just before shut-down, I go to "throttle only" mode and give her full throttle. Due to built-in safe guards this usually maxes out at only 1,600 RPM.

4) The port exhaust hose has a belly which I pull up with a strap hooked to the ER ladder bolts. Can't hurt, might help.

Last edited:

1) I never start the engines unless I'm going to full warm up and run hard at WOT

3) After each use, and just before shut-down, I go to "throttle only" mode and give her full throttle. Due to built-in safe guards this usually maxes out at only 1,600 RPM.

4) The port exhaust hose has a belly which I pull up with a strap hooked to the ER ladder bolts. Can't hurt, might help.

Thanks for the update. I had my port exhaust hose shortened.

Regarding your point #3, I dont believe the turbos kick-in at all while in throttle only mode. So that would not likely be clearing the turbos at all.

Ok, I saw this but dont have time to read all the replies... I just bought my ST44 2014. During survey turbos were leaking. After digging turns out that there is a "recall" but Volvo doesnt call them recalls for the heat exchangers and oil coolers and turbos specifically for what you describe and what was found during my survey. Volvo was hard to pin down but the recall work and parts are covered and the housings by a volvo dealer. They are doing the work next week for me. I am in Seattle work is being done by Pacific Power Group. You can DM me your email and I can forward you the Volvo sheets about it.

Emil
Possibly the air intake parts need to be replaced due to faulty exhaust design. Re-reading this thread and others related, you may find the issues are related to sea water backing into the turbo. Thus a redesign of the exhaust system after the turbo should be considered.

I wish we could pin down at what point Volvo incorporated the new exhaust design into production? Is there a service bulletin or something that Volvo has so we can see?

Beneteau could be using engines that are one year older than the model year and more in-line with when the boat was actually built versus shipped off the assembly line/delivered.

Volvo (corporate and local) keeps their cards close to the vest based on my past experience with them. Try digging around for a regional person, engineer if possible, that can help.

Attachments

• turbo1.jpg
    turbo1.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 37
  • turbo2.jpg
    turbo2.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 36

Have you cracked open the turbos to visually inspect them?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom