Where to Register

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tinroof

Vessel Name
How do you add a picture?
I am looking for a 20 - 30m sea going motor sailer to travel Carribean and beyond. I do not have a home base any longer so could register it anywhere. What are the advantages of registering a boat in x country as opposed to y country?
Then there is "insurance"... who requires this?

I am looking for a 20 - 30m sea going motor sailer to travel Carribean and beyond. I do not have a home base any longer so could register it anywhere. What are the advantages of registering a boat in x country as opposed to y country?

In the US, there are two different things, registration and documentation. Documentation is the equivalent of registration in other countries. Taxes and other costs often figure in for vagabonds like you. If you're choosing to document the boat in the US, then you may or may not need to register it in a state. I'd recommend registering in a favorable low cost state.

Registering a boat in other countries will cost you substantially more than documenting one in the US. Countries in the Caribbean are similar in requirements. A lot of recreational boats registered in the Bahamas. For larger boats, the Cayman Islands lead the way. Panama is among the leaders for commercial vessels.

As to insurance, I hope you're not really planning on not insuring that boat. Now, few countries require insurance, but a lot of marinas you'll visit do.

Thanks for that reply. subtracting out the pejorative (typical, it seems in internet forums where older members seem to derive satisfaction from dishing out humiliation, comfortable in the knowledge that any retaliation in kind will be met with instant ban) and focusing on the information.....
the obvious problem is transferring ownership without some government somewhere taking a hefty fee for recognizing this act and issuing a piece of paper. Presumably that could be done in any country unless residence is a pre-requisite?
Regarrding insurance, I beg to suggest that this word is in fact a misnomer these days that is all but useless to digital nomads like myself. This is perhaps the subject of another thread, so I will just continue to ask the question; where is insurance REQUIRED (apart from marinas)?

Thanks for that reply. subtracting out the pejorative (typical, it seems in internet forums where older members seem to derive satisfaction from dishing out humiliation, comfortable in the knowledge that any retaliation in kind will be met with instant ban) and focusing on the information.....
the obvious problem is transferring ownership without some government somewhere taking a hefty fee for recognizing this act and issuing a piece of paper. Presumably that could be done in any country unless residence is a pre-requisite?
Regarrding insurance, I beg to suggest that this word is in fact a misnomer these days that is all but useless to digital nomads like myself. This is perhaps the subject of another thread, so I will just continue to ask the question; where is insurance REQUIRED (apart from marinas)?

Sorry...since you so easily feel insulted by my first response, I won't attempt any follow up answers. Perhaps others will try, although so far I'm the only one who did.

Interesting way of thanking someone who attempted to answer your question as helpfully as possible. I saw no attempt at “dishing out humiliation”?

Insuring the vessel itself is clearly a personal decision - if you can afford to lose it (e.g. sinking, fire, lightning strike etc.) without it seriously affecting your life then by all means don’t insure it - this is known as self-insuring and can be an entirely rational choice. Having said that, third party insurance (i.e. that will pay out if you injure someone or damage their property) is essential both to be able to use a marina and to be a responsible member of the boating community.

I note that you are based in Europe , what's your nationality? That's the first problem. If the U.K. Its Small ships register and maintain a address with a friend. Cheap cheerful. If you need a loan or mortgage you need to go the survey 2k and the red flag ensign 3K route. The boat can be registered in many British territory's. The red flag route fetch's many advantages. If your American and wish to register overseas it's expensive, if doing the transaction in the US your subject to sales tax, however registration is cheaper , particularly if its a older boat (vintage) the annual fee is like $6.25. https://www.sarasotataxcollector.com/services/other-services/vessels-boating/registration-antique. The more expensive item is insurance, more and more countries ask to see your policy. To travel the world you need to really have your vessel documented and insured, otherwise if there's a hiccup you stand to loose it. There are numerous companies particularly in Florida that will assist you and give advice which way to go.

Mexico requires insurance. And I expect many other places too.

For large boat purchases, the trans action commonly takes place off shore outside of any taxing jurisdiction, so the transaction itself isn’t taxed. However you are still subject to taxes when entering/visiting most all jurisdictions depending on your nationality, residency, and length of stay.

Do you still pay Federal Taxes? I guess, in the country where you file taxes.
Per insurance? Dont leave home without insurance even if your mortgage company does not require it.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Mr./Ms. t. I agree with Mr. MV. I saw no negative/nasty comments by Mr. BB. TF, for the most part, is a fairly laid back site. Yes, there ARE egos to contend with but the wealth of information is worth overlooking any personal slight you may perceive.

A bit of background information is a good idea for new members to provide. It helps tailor responses to a person's skill levels, boat requirements, cruising area(s) and boating related financial matters.

I frequently see boats about that size with Marshall Islands registry. I have no knowledge of the costs or requirements. As far as insurance goes I would suggest that you carry liability at a minimum. Requirements vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. You will need to research the places you want to go.

Having cruised internationally I can guarantee you that you don't want to be un-insured for liability in a number of countries that are neighbors of the US. You may have adequate $$ in hand to self-insure for 3rd party damage, injury or death, but you will be arranging for payments from the local jailhouse. I saw B and B's response to you to be solid advice based on experience and your response to him was certainly uncalled for.

Back
Top Bottom