Boats to avoid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RArmstrong

Veteran Member
Not wanting to bash anybody's personal vessel, but I know of cars and motorcycles I hear people tell other people they may want to avoid. Are there any Trawlers out there that are just plain not a good idea to buy? If not boats, how about certain engines? I am just hoping to avoid expensive mistakes! thanks for any input you may have.

Too dangerous of a question?

Sorry, I first should have welcomed you.

This is the best place on the net to find info on “trawler” boats and lifestyle. But we’re also a feisty bunch when it comes to favorite [fill in the blank]. Anchors, radars, twins vs singles, gas vs diesel and many other topics all have passionate defenders and opponents. I was just imagining some of the feedback this question might spark. But I absolutely wouldn’t want to suggest you not ask it.

My own response would be that condition and maintenance over rule manufacturer and age.

Welcome aboard. Boats to avoid are the ones that don’t meet your needs, fail surveys and ones that are ugly...

Thanks. I do notice when I look at many of the very popular boats and models I can hardly tell the difference from a Grand Banks to a Marine Trader to an Albin. I made a mistake buying a Sea Ray with an early OMC outdrive once I really wish I had been warned about. Oops!

My personal preference is no Volvos. I had poor support in getting parts in a previous boat and when they were available they were very expensive. Many will tell you that they have no problems with Volvo, but it is my preference.

Thanks. I do notice when I look at many of the very popular boats and models I can hardly tell the difference from a Grand Banks to a Marine Trader to an Albin. I made a mistake buying a Sea Ray with an early OMC outdrive once I really wish I had been warned about. Oops!
I hope you mean you can't tell the difference at a distance. Quite a quality difference between a GB and a MT.

Ted

Yes, there is a difference in quality between those boats, but the Marine Trader may meet the needs of the OP. Depends on what he needs and or wants.

From a distance for sure, but I'm not even experienced enough to tell the quality difference close up.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard! Probably NOT the best idea to buy a vessel that is in similar circumstances to:

67557544_10211613659096675_3884592976277536768_n.jpg

or...

67492581_3396199630405958_467301096163901440_n.jpg

or...

65483022_3337638852928703_1678191082875125760_n.jpg

Just sayin'...

Depending on your interest in maintaining your own boat, wood and ferro cement would be good to avoid. Steel and aluminum require a very competent surveyor. Not bad materials to build a boat out of, but proper maintenance is essential for a long life.

Avoid any that have been flooded or sunk. They may look fully squared away, but can have all sorts of problems down the road.

Ted

Boater etiquette. Do not speak ill of another boaters boat. Quality in boats MAY relate to there cost to produce. It is not by chance that some boat builders are still in business. Some would be Grand Banks, Boston Whalers, Grady White, Carver, and many more. Engines may have similar quality and longevity histories, Cummins, John Deere, Luggers, etc.
No boat is perfect and the beauty of that lies in the art of “messing about in boats”.
Good luck in your search, we’ve all been there and done that.

Don't be tempted by anthing wooden. My brother lives on a 1960s wooden trawler and has for at least 18 years. It consumes his life. He's trying to get it into good enough shape to sell to someone else and move onto a glass boat.

Don't buy a project boat unless you have infinite free time and deep pockets.

Personally I'd avoid anything excessively large and overpowered. Fuel won't always be this cheap. There are going to be a lot of stranded boats if fuel goes to $8/gallon.

Not wanting to bash anybody's personal vessel, but I know of cars and motorcycles I hear people tell other people they may want to avoid. Are there any Trawlers out there that are just plain not a good idea to buy? If not boats, how about certain engines? I am just hoping to avoid expensive mistakes! thanks for any input you may have.

In general, there really aren't any bad boats, just bad owners.

As Comodave mentioned, the best boat is the one that best fits your intended use, your skills, and your budget. Also, each design, materials, and powertrain will have certain advantages and disadvantages, both real and/or perceived.

Well here, not casting aspersions, but I think it's fair to say you will hear Volvo engines bashed a lot (not that I have any clue, it's all academic to me, I've never owned one). And Bayliners are sometimes bashed as Walmart caliber boats, but then I own one and you'll hear from ardent Bayliner defenders too. "Well if I could afford a stinkin' Kadey Krogan I would stinkin' buy one, you evil 1%'ers, but at least Bayliner gets me out on the water and I don't have to sell a pint of blood every week!" And the Bayliner 3988 in the next slip over (with diesels) sure seems nice to me. And of course the other thing you'll find is that brands and name plates die and get purchased and resurrected and re-die so often you have to know what years you're talking about before bashing or praising. For example I had a Carver from the 80's as our first big(ger) boat, same name in production today but it's a very different company now. Bankruptcy, restructuring, etc. Bluewater used to build big house-boat looking things in Mora, MN, but now it looks like a company in Ft. Pierce, FL uses that name for center consoles. I have a Mainship, but it's the giant white tennis shoe version from the 1990's, but now it's Marlow Mainship and they make trawler style boats. Lots of nameplates have gone through transitions. Boston Whaler was sold, what, four or five times, including once to Reebok? Sneakers and Whalers...

But all that aside, the other posters are right, kind of like wives and brides, you compliment them all and say they're pretty, even if they'd scare Dr. Frankenstein. Momma taught me to be gracious and polite. Although if somebody wants to trade a KK for my Mainship ('96), let me know, and I'll throw the Bayliner into the deal. Oh, and in my opinion Hella interior boat lights stink, they cost a million dollars because they're "marine" but I've had nothing but trouble with them. Ooo, and Magma grills. And...

Okay, I'll stop now.

Avoid any boat that does not meet you needs:

• if you want a fast boat, do not buy a slow boat
  • if you want a slow boat, do not buy a fast boat
  • if you want diesels, do not buy gassers
  • if you want gassers, do not buy diesels
  • if you want a trawler, do not buy an express cruiser
  • if you want an express cruiser, do not buy a trawler
  • if you want an old boat, do not buy a new boat
  • if you want a new boat, do not buy an old boat
  • if you want a smaller boat, do not buy a larger boat
  • if you want a larger boat, do not buy a smaller boat
  • if you love wooden boats, do not buy a fiberglass boat
  • if you love fiberglass boats, do not buy a wooden boat
Seriously though, if you haven't, read the Boat search 101 thread! :thumb:

You can't seriously begin looking for a boat until you give enough though on what your boating needs are!

Feel free to ask questions about all types of topics, but not which anchor is best! :eek:

Welcome aboard! :flowers:

Jim

Personally I think the sweet spot is fairly late model used boats in which the current owner has already poured all the money into accessories, electronics, tenders, etc. and everything is still in good working order and up to date. So you can get a fairly turn-key operation in which the previous owner has taken the biggest depreciation hit. But if you have a fairly narrow idea of what you want, they can be hard to find and go fast when they hit the market.

I don’t think I would over generalize. I’ve seen some amazing boats of every vintage and pedigree, same for power packages. Condition and care will matter more.

Except for Volvo, save yourself the pain of making that mistake. Blech!

If you let an engine selection steer your entire boat choice decision, you could miss a great boat that checks nearly all the boxes. (Source: Volvo engine owner)

Navigator built some nice looking boats but I would never consider them because of the Volvo engines. But that’s just me and my opinion.

Navigator built some nice looking boats but I would never consider them because of the Volvo engines. But that’s just me and my opinion.

And as a Navigator owner and someone that interacts with nearly every Navigator owner around the globe, I can tell you that the engines are the system that causes the least amount of problem posts.

If you let an engine selection steer your entire boat choice decision, you could miss a great boat that checks nearly all the boxes. (Source: Volvo engine owner)

There are thousands of very happy Volvo owners. They're very popular in Europe. I've owned a Volvo Penta Stern Drive and it was great. I've also seen great things from Volvo on a corporate level in going to and beyond warranty requirements.

This makes a huge amount of sense. Not just with engine selection either.

Simply avoid any boat that you can’t get serviced.

Greetings,
Mr. BB. "...very popular in Europe...". Yup but try and get parts for a 1984 Chevy in Gdansk.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom