View Single Post
Old 08-06-2019, 08:56 AM   #11
LateStarter

City: Hershey,Pa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysdisease View Post
I'm 64, and pondering my "retirement" boat. While right now I have no problem crawling around tight spots in dark places and navigating ladders in a boat underway, but I do think about how long I'm going to be able to do that in years to come.
Right now I have the Mainship 390 in my sights, stairs to the flybridge instead of a ladder with a lower helm as well, a door at the lower helm to the side decks, good and secure access all around the weather decks, a transom door to the swim platform, single level cockpit/salon/galley.
What level newbie are you? If you're a complete newbie with little to no time at the helm and limited mechanical skills, the 40DC may be a challenge. She's 35 years old and will need attention, mechanical skills will come in handy, even if you plan to pay for service, a tech is not always handy. Handling a boat that size can be learned, but as mentioned help for docking and anchoring will be nice.
If the 40DC fell into your lap, that's one thing, if you're shopping be sure you have looked around and thought it through before jumping in.

$0.02
I’m not afraid to get my hands dirty doing work myself and plan to take hands on courses on electrical and engine maintenance. I live in central Pa. but will be keeping the boat in either Maryland or Delaware so that I have ocean and bay access. I was able to locate basic and advanced Diesel engine courses in Annapolis but no gas engine. I would prefer a diesel boat, but so far have not found one.
If I do end up with gas engines, I have been reading about how it o convert them to a closed cooling system to prolong the septic ngine’s life. Any thoughts?
LateStarter is offline   Reply With Quote