Battery Diaper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.B

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 4200 Classic
I am in the middle of building a new battery tray. After 25 years of acid spills, the old one was rotted to the core. The space where my batteries live makes it impossible to see down into the cells to check water levels, so the best I can do is just to start filling until the cup runneth over. I know there are battery watering systems, but is there something like a diaper that I can use, either under or between them, to keep as much acid off the new project as possible?

Tom-

Tom, Aside from the problem that you are now dealing with, overfilled will also reduce the electrolytes and eventually shorten your battery life. You really should deal with the problem and either move the batteries, switch to Gel or AGMs or install a battery filing system that will maintain the proper levels. Chuck

Tom:* Filling wet cells to the top is not recommended by any battery manufacturer.** When batteries are liquid full*(no air space), there is no where for the hydrogen to go when you are charging*which then can force the electrolyte out through the caps.*

I understand, but TBH, I don't know how to avoid it short of a battery watering system. Here is a pic of where they are. Can't get above them to see the level.

P1000954a by GonzoF1, on Flickr

batt-fill_with_gcc_label-300.jpg

link

Nice! Thanks Al.

GonzoF1 wrote:
I am in the middle of building a new battery tray. After 25 years of acid spills, the old one was rotted to the core. The space where my batteries live makes it impossible to see down into the cells to check water levels, so the best I can do is just to start filling until the cup runneth over. I know there are battery watering systems, but is there something like a diaper that I can use, either under or between them, to keep as much acid off the new project as possible?

Tom-

Replacing your flooded cell batteries with AGM batteries will solve all your problems.* I too had a difficult time maintaining my flooded cell batteries.* Since replacing them with AGMs, my battery maintenance chores have gone away.

-- Edited by rwidman on Sunday 11th of March 2012 06:49:06 PM

AGMs are wonderful but expensive initially. We installed some on a previous boat to replace gel-cells. When we replaced our 6 6V batteries this winter I added a watering system for exactly the same access problem and am very happy with the set-up.
We have a 4D generator start battery that I still have to service by hand, but I use a vinyl hose and squeeze bulb. I zip-tie the hose to an inspection mirror so that I can look down into the cell to see when it is full. This battery will get changed for a group 31 AGM when it expires.

How about an inspection mirror? Tool departments and auto supply stores have mirrors on a swivel on the end of a handle.

Ha ha....beat me to it Larry. I was about to post that where my batteries are it is impossible to see into them, but I found a cheap old circular car wing mirror with arm still attached worked well, however hard to argue with Capn Chucks comments about changing to sealed types when able, which is what I did in the end when the batts finally started to die - sure don't regret the change, even though not cheap...

Can't get above them to see the level.

NAPA , or your local auto shop will sell you a mirror that swivels on a stick for under $10.

With a small led flashlight there should be no problem.

For best results in acid proof boxes look in any catalog , about $75 and just bolt them in USCG approved.

At $400+ for 6V AGM's versus $90 for golf cart batts, that is really off the table as an option. I just can't justify it. I just ordered Al's filler can, I'll rig a light above the bank with a mirror, and look at Ken's idea for acid pads (although they are pretty expensive too). A watering system will be cool, but I'll probably wait until I replace the batteries with new to add that.

Thanks y'all.

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Tuesday 13th of March 2012 05:38:20 AM

GonzoF1 wrote:
At $400+ for 6V AGM's versus $90 for golf cart batts, that is really off the table as an option. I just can't justify it. I just ordered Al's filler can, I'll rig a light above the bank with a mirror, and look at Ken's idea for acid pads (although they are pretty expensive too). A watering system will be cool, but I'll probably wait until I replace the batteries with new to add that.

I*installed 6 volt golf cart batteries on my previous boat for a house bank so I understand what you're talking about.

There's no need to keep the 6 volt series battery system, it can be replaced by standard (AGM) 12 volt batteries with nothing more than some new cables and perhaps battery boxes or hold downs.

It's an option and it will allow you to use the more readily available 12 volt AGM batteries and forget the monthly maintenance, mirrors, filler jugs, etc.

-- Edited by rwidman on Tuesday 13th of March 2012 06:21:26 AM

After 2 years of crawling 'n cursing while I snaked in behind my engines to service batteries, in the dark & by feel, I finally bit the bullet & installed AGM's. All I have to do now is service terminals & check connections once in a while. Worth every penny.

I went to all gels over 10 years ago but before that I was faced with a similar lousy installation, a shelf right over top of the batteries.
I cut holes in the shelf to gain access.

I used a garden pressure weed sprayer , a small flashlight and mirror so I got the level right. It was still awkward but it worked and no more mess or overfilling.

Those self levelling/stopping battery watering bottles work too. I used those at work on the forklifts to get the job done quickly without overfilling.

C lectric wrote:
Those self levelling/stopping battery watering bottles work too. I used those at work on the forklifts to get the job done quickly without overfilling.
*I hope so... Mine came in the mail yesterday :-D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom