Garmin 2010 and 2006 lost signal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TJM

Vessel Name
Harmony
Vessel Make
1982 41' President
Hello:

We have two older Garmin chart plotters that have started to loose their GPS signal after acquiring it as normal.
The issue has plagued both of my units at different times. I switch plugs, clean the contacts and no changes.
Is this Garmin's was of obsolescence ??

Help, we reverted to paper charts this past weekend.

Hello:

We have two older Garmin chart plotters that have started to loose their GPS signal after acquiring it as normal.
The issue has plagued both of my units at different times. I switch plugs, clean the contacts and no changes.
Is this Garmin's was of obsolescence ??

Help, we reverted to paper charts this past weekend.
Are these networked together? Do they have external separate GPS antenna? Model numbers.

Ted

They are not networked together and have separate antennas, separate power feeds also.
I am wondering if they is an antenna tester similar to the coaxial cable tester that is out there.

The Garmin 2010 and 2006 were released almost 20 years ago. They are obsolete but not for the reasons you suggested. At the time, Garmin was subcontracting their maps. Sometime in the mid 2000s, the map maker made a decision to withdraw from marine maps and at that point, Garmin was no longer able to support them. This kind of gave Garmin a black eye among many boaters.

In addition to no new maps, some of the GPS satellites have been retired or replaced. Since Garmin is no longer supporting the chartplotter, it may not have current positioning information on the active satellites and might not know where to look.

It would probably be best if you replace your 2010 and 2006 with modern chartplotters.

The Garmin 2010 and 2006 were released almost 20 years ago. They are obsolete but not for the reasons you suggested. At the time, Garmin was subcontracting their maps. Sometime in the mid 2000s, the map maker made a decision to withdraw from marine maps and at that point, Garmin was no longer able to support them. This kind of gave Garmin a black eye among many boaters.

In addition to no new maps, some of the GPS satellites have been retired or replaced. Since Garmin is no longer supporting the chartplotter, it may not have current positioning information on the active satellites and might not know where to look.

It would probably be best if you replace your 2010 and 2006 with modern chartplotters.

I replaced mine (2010C) with Coastal Explorer

Ted

They are not networked together and have separate antennas, separate power feeds also.
I am wondering if they is an antenna tester similar to the coaxial cable tester that is out there.
The issue is whether the GPS computer is in the antenna or MFD. Most GPS antennas now have the computer in the antenna and send the information out (often through a NMEA2000 network. If your units have a NMEA 2000 port, it's a simple matter to get another antenna with a NMEA 2000 connection, setup a network (won't work without one) and get your GPS information that way.

Ted

Had this issue and it was the GPS ant unit, which is fairly common problem, picked up a replacement on eBay, they (Garmin) sells one, but you need to do some adapting (jumping) to make it compatible.

Back
Top Bottom