Any idea what these are?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lwilham

Still trying to figure everything out on our new to us boat, a 1999 Hampton pilot house.

I asked the PO, and got “No idea, never messed with them.”

The first is a chrome two-position pull/push knob similar to the headlight switch on older American cars. It’s located on the electrical panel. I’ve pulled it and nothing seems to change. I’ve not yet traced the wires, but will do that soon.

The second is the white box with two red on/off toggles, and the two finned boxes behind it.

Previous owner had the boat for six years. Evidently didn’t mess with too much...

Just thought someone might have a similar set up so I might narrow my investigation.

Thanks!
IMG_0084.jpgIMG_0081.jpg

Our previous boat had a similar chrome push pull knob that isolated the windlass controls. (Not a breaker switch.)

I have two of those 2 position switches. One in the galley, unlabeled, but operating the exhaust fan over the stove. The second position was not connected, so I used it to run a series of lights over the sink and counter. I took power from the exhaust fan line for the lights, but they are switched separately. The second is by the helm, labelled "stove" and opens the propane solenoid and turns on the red propane indicator light. Again, the second position was unused, so I connected a Walbro pump to the diesel supply line to the Diesel stove day tank.
In both cases, pulling the switch to the second position disables the first position.

Unfortunately I suspect that you will have to trace thee wiring and see where it goes. Or just ignore them like them like the PO...

Trace the wiring. I had similar switches that took me 2 years to figure out. One of them controlled an exterior light over the fly bridge that was barely noticeable at night when it was on. The other powered a raw water washdown pump that I knew was there but couldn't figure out how to turn on. Those switches and every other on my boat have labels now.

Could those mystery boxes have something to do with audio amplification? Where are they? Where do the wires go? Let us know if you figure it out.

Last edited:
Have you tried contacting Hampton and seeing if this is OEM? Maybe get a manual and schematics from them while you are at it. The white box seems to have two circuit breakers mounted in it. You could try turning them off, or on as the case may be.

The two black boxes look like light dimmers transformers or perhaps 24-12 volts converters.

If you don't have one already, a Tone Probe is very handy for tracing wires. I've got a Greenlee unit and have used it several times on our EB47. Best result was finding a windlass fuse that was buried behind a breaker panel.

This isn't the exact one I've got, but it's close.
https://www.amazon.com/Greenlee-701K-G-Professional-Probe-Tracing/dp/B0042VII7A

The idea is you clip the tone sender one end of a circuit and then use the probe to 'sound out' where the signal goes. The probe is sensitive enough to let you work along bundles of wire, following the signal. The key to using it is being able to clip directly onto a conductor. For your mystery switch it'd be easy. For the breaker box you might have to get into it to gain access to a connector.

I concur the two finned boxes are some sort of transformers, likely for lighting dimmers.

They may do nothing at all, device they activated removed.
Many times old boats have old disconnected wiring .

Thanks for the ideas! I may grab a Tone Pro, I hadn’t heard of that tool before. Ditto on Hampton. Even though our boat’s 20 years old, I’ve heard they’re pretty good about helping owners. I’ll add this project to my ever expanding list of stuff to do. When (if) I figure it out, I’ll post back.

That pull switch looks for all the world like the old-style navigation light switches. The two settings are "nav" and "anchor."

We have similar push/pull switches in the pilothouse and on the fly bridge. Used to engage a twin engine synchronizer, but no longer functional as the engines have been replaced.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom